“Fantastic food & staff”

Cuisines: European, French, Irish, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We had an amazing experience in Chapter One! The welcome we received was wonderful, followed by the best food we have had in Dublin complimented with a superb range if wines. A fabulous meeting with the chef himself, a signed copy of their cookbook- we did not want to leave. It was a special occasion and the staff made it extra special. This is the best value and best quality dining experience you can have! Will be back again and again!

Write a ReviewReviews (2 106)

35 - 39 of 2 106 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018

I was here with my wife to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We took the 4 course menu for €75 per person and had G&T's, some water and a moderately priced bottle of wine (at €55 one of their cheaper actually).

The restaurant is not in the swankiest part of town, and in a basement of a Georgian building. However, once inside you can see the attention to detail. It is comfortable, well designed space.

The staff is excellent. Friendly and professional The right balance between friendly and professional. And very knowledgeable. I always like it when you can a detailed explanation of what you are getting served.

The Amuse Bouche was a "cracker" of rice with goat's cheese. OK, it's different. I had a started with several vegetables (I can only remember the beetroot), which was nice and fresh. My favorite dish is what followed: quail. Delicious. My main course was rabbit. Now, they has wrapped this in pancetta ham. I think this was a mistake - I only tasted the ham. There was nothing wrong with the dish, just not to my liking. The chocolate mouse as dessert was though.

All in all, a great experience. It is not cheap (well, it is expensive), but worth it for what it delivers.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

Great first night in Ireland for me and my son. Wonderful four course menu, adventurous and comforting. Nice tucked away location with very friendly service. Recommend the Irish coffee!

Reviewed 22 June 2018

Chapter One is a Michellin starred restaurant on Parnell square in central Dublin, a short distance from Upper O'Connell St. It was not our first visit. In the past you were offered a drink and a place to sit before you went to your table to peruse the menu. This time we were ushered straight to the table. We had our Gin and Tonics. I was surprised they didn't have Cork Dry gin, which used to be the staple of Irish gin drinkers before the world got poncified over so called premium (pricey) gins. The Maitre D claimed it was because they had had a recent run on gins. Mmmmm not so sure! We had Dingle which was very nice except it was heavy on the juniper berries which kept getting in my mouth. We had the four Course Dinner Menu at €75 per head. At that price it needs to be first class food and service. Wines are also expensive - nothing leas than €30, We chose a Silvaner at €45. It was nice so we had it twice. We got an amuse bouche - a prawn cracker type of thing which didn't thrill me. There were two choices on the 1st course - I had the re-hydrated beetroot which had the texture of a fruit gum and didn't thrill. My wife loved the Japanese Tapioca. We were each give a piece of sourdough bread rather than a plate of bread for us to work away on. This was repeated for the second course when we got a piece of dark soda bread - strange approach I thought. 2nd courses were a choice of five - asparagus, haddock, chicken and foie gras terrine, fish lasagne and stuffed quail. Both dishes got a good reception especially the quail with its barley risotto partner. 3rd courses were duck, halibut, rabbit, John Dory and saddle of lamb. The halibut with its cod's roe sauce was given top marks as was the rabbit loin with gnocci. The desserts were chocolate mousse, lemon mille feuille, flavours and textures of milk and honey, tobacco chocolate and ice cream, Jameson pudding. The flavours and textures turned out to be panna cota with meringue and other goodies - a triumph. Overall the food is exquisitely turned out, colourful and bright on the plate, show casing the skill and technique in the kitchen - what you would expect from a restaurant of this quality. But I wasn't over whelmed - the amuse bouche was a bit tasteless, the beet root didn't have much going for it and there was too much green sauce on my plate of rabbit. At these prices you need to hit all the stops, so its a very good rather than excellent rating. Service was good through out, even though the restaurant was quite full. Looks like the recession is over at the top end of Dublin dining. I'll go back again though if some kind soul gives me a voucher.

3  Thank Peter I
Reviewed 22 June 2018

The food was amazing, the service from the greeting at the door, all the way through the meal to our departure was first class. The staff were experts on and happy to explain the dishes. It was an experience , a very enjoyable one.