The Clarence
  • Free Internet
  • Room Service
Reviews (1 864)
1 864 results
All reviewsoctagon bartemple barcleaver east restaurantriver viewthe penthousemini barlovely hotelstreet noisecentral locationtrinity collegegrafton streetbonoliffeyirelandpubsnightlifeguinness
FilterAll languages
17 - 22 of 1 864 reviews
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have been in Dublin before but this was my first stay at this hotel. The hotel is located right along the river in Temple bar area. I have been the reviews that it it is a bit dated and could use a makeover. Maybe yes but I thought it was clean and comfortable. My husband wanted to stay because it is owned by members of U2. We got into our room and were then shown out to our balcony, the place where they shot the video for 'Beautiful Day' my husband was elated! the balcony had a FANTASTIC view of Dublin. yes there is a bar below that was apparently going into the wee hours of the morning but I did not hear it at all. The reception was very friendly and helped out a great deal. The breakfast was awesome and hit the spot for a day of sightseeing. Near temple bar area but not in the thick of it where you hear all the bar goers. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: for U2 fans - ask for room 508 it is the room where U2 shot the video for Beautiful day.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jessicakG2361BO
PressUpEntertainment, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

We're delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent sty in our Garden Terrace Suite for many reasons. It was our pleasure to have you here at The Clarence and we hope to welcome you and your husband back again for another great stay.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The Clarence Hotel's claim to fame is that it was once, or maybe still is, owned by members of Irish Rock band U2. I've never stayed but have visited on a few occasions for drinks. I'd describe the bar as quiet, unassuming and feeling a little tired in terms of ambiance and decor. Filled with wall-to-wall wooden panelling, there's a definite lack of colour and vibrancy. Drinks are standard and staff efficient enough. Pleasant and inoffensive but not outstanding. Maybe now in need of a makeover...

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Thanks for posting a review of The Clarence Hotel, though as you mention in your review you've never stayed and as such your experience can only be limited to a fraction of the hotel, namely the bar, and you point out this is the only part you have visited. We appreciate you comments about The Octagon Bar and hope that in future you will have a greater experience there.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This isn’t a big whinge, more a reflection. The price was fine and I had a reasonable stay. It’s just that it didn’t meet my expectation. I’ve stayed at the Clarence a couple of times before but not for a while. It didn’t have the buzz I remember - maybe out of season- but it just felt like there are too many dead spaces. The restaurant is not at all special and the public rooms are not comfortable to be in. The rooms are very heavy on oak which is nice in a way but feel heavily. Good size though. The plumbing is actually poor given what is expected these days. No proper shower, just over a bath. Lovely staff. It feels as if the place needs an overhaul.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank tom S

It's a pity that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and your feedback about why this was the case is appreciated as is the kind comment about the team here. We hope that in the future you'll return and find that your expectations are met and hopefully exceeded on that occasion.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I like the Clarence, it's location and rooms are excellent and I've stayed there several times. There is a major problem with it though, Music blaring from the nightclub next door kept me awake until 3 a.m. I won't be staying there again

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

It's disappointing to read that the noise from our neighbouring venue impacted so negatively on your recent stay with us and that the measures already taken to alleviate some of the impact of this were not sufficient in your case. It's also disappointing that you won't return though we would be happy to welcome you back should you ever change your mind.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Lovely hotel and great location. Hotel is right in the heart of Temple Bar so we were warned to expect some noise, but it wasn’t anything that much. We had a room overlooking another bar, our room was very spacious, super bathroom but no view which was the only downside. We were on a room only basis, so ate out locally. Nice informal bar.

My daughter booked the trip as a birthday present for me and booked The Clarence as I am a U2 fan. I did ask her to see if Bono wanted to join us for afternoon tea (joke) and was floored when we went to the bar one night to find him drinking at the bar next to us!! We did respect his privacy though and did not interrupt him or take any photos. Social media must have been in over drive, as the bar was then full to capacity within 15 minutes, so we left everyone gawping at the poor man.

Great service. Big fan of gin and Fever Tree, delighted that this hotel has a good selection of gins and uses Fever Tree tonic.

Room Tip: Ask for a front view
Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family

We're delighted to read so many positive comments about your recent visit to the Clarence and hope that you'll be back with id soon. While we can't promise some aspects will be identical we hope you'll enjoy it even with different clientele.