“Excellent Thai food”

Narra Thai & Asian Cuisine
Ranked #1 394 of 2 853 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$12 - US$47
Description: At Narra, we pride ourselves on using the best Irish, local & artisan ingredients, Combined with our skilled techniques in Pan Asian cuisine to offer you a unique dining experience.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

It was my first time ordering and I was kindly given a discount as a first customer which was really good of them.

The service was very fast, friendly and the food was very good for a Thai takeaway. I had the Massaman curry which was the best I've had in Ireland, choc full of peanuts, chicken and potatoes. I also had the chicken satay skewers which were also very nice.

I'm delighted to have found this spot as Stillorgan was lacking a really good Thai restaurant. I will definitely be back for more!

Laura K, Public Relations Manager at Narra Thai & Asian Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hiya Jason,

This is SO great to hear! Best Massaman in Ireland?! We will take that! You have just made our day! You're the best customer in Ireland!

Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

Visited with my husband and we shared a variety of appetizers and mains. Absolutely phenomenal! The shredded chicken was the nicest I’ve ever had.. the snow prawn salad was so delicious, perfect blend of lime and wasabi. Great service and very friendly staff too.. Highly recommend.

Tracey thank you so much and thank you for taking the time to write us a review! This means so much to us.

Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

I came there for Early bird menu. The restaurant itself is very well decorated,with a discreet music. The personnel was lovely. The food was fresh,clearly made on the spot and very tasty. I will definitely be back-for early bird though,the A la carte menu being slightly too overpriced for my taste

Laura K, Public Relations Manager at Narra Thai & Asian Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

Hi Marie, thank you for your review and we will take your comments on board. Hope to see you back again.

Reviewed 27 April 2018

I'm a big fan of Thai food so was delighted to see a proper Thai restaurant in Stillorgan.
I went there recently for the first time and really enjoyed the experience. I went for the early bird offer and had a very tasty, clearly all homemade wonton soup for starter and a delicious green thai curry that they, upon my request, spiced up to a fiery 3 chili rating. It was delicious.

The restaurant is nicely decorated and the service is excellent with lovely staff.

Will surely be back!

Laura K, Marketing at Narra Thai & Asian Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

Thank you Bjorn! Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 1 April 2018

The staff here are so friendly, I wanted to be able to give a 5 star review. But unfortunately I can’t. Fancied something hot and spicy and decided to go for something different to my usual local Indian, and came across Narra which has newly opened up in a premises formerly occupied by an Indian restaurant. Whereas we regularly order from local Thai takeaways, there aren’t too many Thai restaurants convenient to us. The menu on the website looked good, so we decided to go for it.

Booking made, two of us headed to Stillorgan, and the first problem was trying to find it. We automatically went to the entrance we used to use (and which the map on the restaurant’s website suggests is the correct one), around the pub at the end of the block. But the name of the old Indian was plastered high on the walls, and the door was shuttered closed. So we trekked around to the front of the block and found a discreet entrance where we went up a flight of stairs and through a passageway.

We were welcomed with a friendly smile, shown to our table and given menus. The price of wine was a disappointment, unfortunately that’s something that’s not unique to this restaurant. We ordered a bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc which arrived promptly and was very nice. The restaurant wasn’t very busy but given that it’s newly opened that wasn’t really surprising.

Looking at the starters, I was a bit underwhelmed. Whereas I had known from the online menu that only 2 of the maybe 12 starters were vegetarian, the starter I’d favoured, tempura, was described differently in that instead of having the option of wasabi mayo or sweet chilli sauce, only the sweet chilli sauce was on offer. I hauled out my phone and pointed out the difference to our waitress and she said giving me the wasabi mayo was no problem. My husband, a committed carnivore, ordered the roasted spare ribs “covered in a special Thai honey sauce”.

For mains, my husband decided on the Chilli and Basil Stir Fry with Duck, along with egg fried noodles. I had been going to go for Ginger & Mushrooms Stir Fry with Tofu and Vegetables, but as the menu in the restaurant showed the Chilli and Basil had 3 chilis heat rating (website menu doesn’t show heat rating), and none for the Ginger & Mushrooms, I changed my mind and chose the Chilli and Basil, again with egg fried noodles as I fancied a nice hot dish.

Starters arrived soon after, and I was disappointed to see my wasabi mayonnaise was just mayo, there was nothing else discernible in it. The tempura itself was cooked very nicely although just a touch too oily for my liking, and overall the dish (photo with review) had none of the heat I was hoping for. My husband’s ribs (photo with review) were just sat in a little pool of honey; they had been sort of artfully arranged but the waitress, who was so friendly and smiley I felt bad for her, wasn’t able to land the plate on the table without the arrangement falling apart. For whatever reason no finger bowl was provided, so my husband had to go downstairs to wash his hands.

After our plates were cleared, we were asked if we would like our mains straight away or would prefer to wait. Knowing how quickly Thai meals are cooked, we opted to wait. I thought it was a nice touch that we were asked. However, in relation to our wine the service was less considerate. We prefer to refill our own glasses from the bottle of wine at our own rate, so moved the bottle to the far side of the table, where I expected no-one would try to reach. I was wrong. During our meal, two different waitresses, without asking us, stretched across to grab the bottle to refill our glasses which I found very intrusive.

So we were asked if we were now ready for our main dishes and said yes. Sure enough, two bowls of noodles arrived fairly quickly. Then there was a wait of at least a couple of minutes before the main dishes arrived. (Photos of both dishes with review). We were disappointed that they arrived on ordinary plates, so there was none of the “theatre” of a dish arriving at your table while still sizzling. It also meant that the food cooled down a lot more quickly than we would have liked.

The next issue became apparent very quickly. No chilli heat. At all. Yet the dish was called “Chilli and Basil” and had a heat rating of 3 chilis?! I could see a few chili seeds in the liquid at the bottom of the dish, but couldn’t taste any heat whatsoever. Also it seemed that the vegetables were only very briefly in the wok and generally the lack of flavour in the dish was disappointing. When we were about halfway through, another waitress/manager came along to ask how we were getting on. When we said that there was no heat in our meals, she explained that last week many people had complained that the food was too hot. So it seems they removed any heat whatsoever, regardless of the rating on the menu. Do people not expect a bit of heat/spice in a Thai restaurant? She very kindly offered to re-do our meals for us, but we were halfway through (and you don’t really want to be “difficult” when someone is so nice!), so we settled on a compromise where she provided us with a little ramekin of hot sauce (bird eye chillies in soy sauce). We added a good bit of this sauce and it made a huge difference to the taste; unfortunately at this point from the temperature point of view, the food was now well below its optimum heat level.

I think this Thai restaurant should be brave and not be afraid to serve customers authentic Thai food. Otherwise what's the point?

With enough disappointments for one evening, we passed on desserts. As we left, several members of staff wished us a good night, with big friendly smiles. I wish them well but don’t see myself revisiting in the near future.

2  Thank Sandra M

Hi Sandra,

Firstly i would like to thank you for taking the time to review Narra, we do take all of your points on board. On the night in question, unfortunately the wrong chills were used in your dish. We understand now why your dish was not as spicy as you had expected.

We would love you too give us another chance and enjoy a complimentary meal on us. We promise that we will pump up the heat and ensure you enjoy your meal!

What do you say?