All reviewsblarney woollen millschristy's bareggs benedictirish shopold millcork cityvery nice hotelthe pubtour busesreception staffnight staybreakfast was includedbeds were comfortablea lovely stayfull irishenjoyable staywell worth a visit
Reviewed 18 June 2018

Recently returned from a wonderful trip to Ireland. Nearly all of our nights were spent at Airbnb's throughout Ireland (which, by the way, were wonderful). I thought I'd spring for a super nice accommodation on our next to last night in Ireland.... I shouldn't have!

The first room they gave us had a plumbing issue - the only water that worked was the hot, and it was scalding hot! There was also no air flow in the rooms - super, super hot and stuffy. They gave us a new room (the one next door), and they placed two oscillating fans in the room. The water worked, but we still slept on top of the beds due to the stuffiness in the room.

Our room came with breakfast.... should have skipped that as well. My kids ordered pancakes with fruit. One of the raspberries on my daughter's pancakes had a worm crawling around in it. I brought it to the wait staff's attention, and they apologized and brought us a gift voucher for €30. Nice gesture, I suppose, but didn't bring our appetites back, nor will we be able to use it - as we're not exactly local to Ireland!

Lastly, and I realize it has nothing to do with the hotel, we had saved up money to spend at Blarney Woolen Mills. I have a favourite blanket that is a Blarney blanket. Turns out, the minimum purchase for free shipping back to the US is €250! Seems a bit excessive considering 1. what we paid for the room, 2. our experience up to that point, and 3. the fact that their shop prices were a good 20% more than what they were on the Aran Islands (who, by the way, ship to the US for free with any purchase over €100).

All and all, we were disappointed with our time in Blarney. It was the most commercialized location we'd been in Ireland. The dinner was the most expensive and the castle was our least favourite (other, superb, castles all throughout Ireland) - mostly just a long line to kiss the stone.

The only thing that kept me from giving a worse rating is the fact that the hotel staff were all very, very kind - as was our experience everywhere in this otherwise lovely country!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Dominic H, General Manager at Blarney Woollen Mills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2018

Dear kellyfR574XT

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am very sorry that you didn't have a pleasant experience with us. We have taken your comments on board and rectified any plumbing issues.

We are currently experiencing a heat-wave in Ireland which is very uncharacteristic of our normal climate with record temperatures being highest in over 40 years. However we do provide a fan in each room.
I most sincerely apologise for your dining experience. I have discussed this in great detail with out Head Chef and have put checks in place to avoid any recurrence in the future.

I have also given your feed back to our Retail Store Manager. I would be grateful if you could email me directly at dheaney@blarney.com to further discuss your experience and hopefully turn your negative experience into a more positive one. In the meantime , I thank you for your kind comments on our staff.

Warm regards

Reviewed 17 June 2018

Stayed here twice in last month. Can honestly say both times I was very happy with service. Rooms are very large and airy. Plenty of towels, pillows storage etc..
Upon entering hotel you are met by very friendly and efficient staff. You sit and conduct check in, not standing looking down at someone.
Beds were very comfortable. Great pressure from shower . Ironing board, tea making facilities and large tv included.
Breakfast menu great and served to you. Top ups of tea/coffee offered regularly and food served quickly and well presented.
I found the staff very friendly and always have a smile.
Will be back.

Room Tip: rooms at end of corridor seem best.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business

Dear Frank M

Thank you for your nice review and your nice feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

War regards,

Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

Nice enough accomodations - clean (though a strong smell of cigarette smoke at reception for a non-smoking hotel), friendly staff, spacious rooms, etc...

The reason I'd look elsewhere - especially if booking for the summer - they seem to have a major issue with airflow/ventilation in the hotel. The 2nd floor is an oven while the ground level and first floor are quite reasonable. I live in northern Europe, so I'm comfortable with no A/C and hot days. This was a joke, though, and rather unbearable with outside temps around ~20C (70F). Can't imagine what it's like in high summer. Their solution was open the one tiny window and turn on a small desktop fan.

If don't mind that you may be in for a sweat-fest, then this place is for you. Otherwise, I'm sure it's perfectly fine if you're either a) on the 1st floor or b) come at a different time of year. As for me, I'll take my chances somewhere else next time.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family

Dear Stainless0719

Thank you for your review.

We have taken your comments on board and will appoint a new smoking area away from the main entrance. Unfortunately, the temperatures have been much higher than we normally experience in Ireland.
I thank you for your positive comments on the staff and spacious rooms and hope that we can also work also on the negatives

Best regards,

Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

We came to cork for a half day trip. The city is small and nice. Blarney is a lovely little city and the woollen mills are a good stop for shopping and Irish coffee. Nothing too great to see tho but nice non pretentious hang out

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Sabrina T,

Thank you for visiting Blarney and in particular Blarney Woollen Mills. We hope you enjoyed your Irish coffee and shopping in the largest Irish store in the world.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

God bless Rose, Deidre, and Claire (I hope I spelled it the right way). These three ladies truly SAVED our vacation. Traumatized and exhausted my mom and I arrived at the Blarney Woollen Mills Hotel. After a long day of driving in an unfamiliar country (on the opposite side of the road for us) and getting lost several times my mom and I arrived literally in tears. We chose this hotel on a whim and it was truly a BLESSING. The ladies at this hotel went out of their way to calm us down, order us pizza to be delivered to the hotel, and also bring us a couple of pints from the bar. They helped us to plan a wonderful day in Blarney to look forward to. They helped us with anything and everything we needed. The entire staff was absolutely incredible. Rose is such a hard worker. She stayed late to help my mother and I and make sure that we were okay when she truly didn’t have to. My mother and I have stayed all over the world and we both agreed that this was one of our favorite places we have ever stayed. Our room was absolutely adorable, spacious, and CLEAN! The food was delicious. We so enjoyed walking around Blarney, and of course kissing the Blarney stone. Our stay was absolutely incredible. I can’t thank the ladies at Blarney Woollen Mills enough! I highly recommend this wonderful hotel!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family

Dear ABlairxo,

Thank you for an absolutely fantastic review. In particular I have great satisfaction in forwarding on you fabulous comments to Deirdre, Rose & Claire (all spelled correctly!!!). We are very proud of our staff and we are always delighted that they are able to help our guests. Our staff are a great asset to us. I am very glad that they extended the Cead Mile Failte (a hundred thousand welcomes) to you. We would love to see you return again some day

Warm regards,