Fernbank Guest House(Prestwick)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
Abbey Cottage(Prestwick)
The Bay House(Prestwick)
Eliock Cottage(Prestwick)
Agoda.com
All reviewssea viewcoal firesea frontbeer gardenfirst classchristmas presentfirth of clydecooked to perfectioncourse dinnergroupon dealfood was lovelyan overnight stayfriendly hotelboth nightslovely roombirthday treatdb b
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Just returned from another overniter at this outstanding value hotel. One of my favourites and I am never disappointed.

Under new management and the owners are working hard to get things right and continue their ongoing improvements and upgrades. At £79 for dbb all served to your table with none of this works canteen feel of help yourself queuing up to be fed and/or be given a cheap skate alternative "deal" menu then have to pay another tenner for your sweets I'd be interested to hear of a better choice at the money.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Let me start by saying two things
1. I'm not prone to complain lightly
2. I've stayed at the Parkstone Hotel before, and had a lovely evening with Dinner, bed and breakfast.

When my wife suggested there for Easter lunch, I readily agreed. When booking, it was advertised as an Easter lunch with magic show between 12pm and 4pm. Although aimed at kids, it was for 3 adults and she specifically asked if this would be a problem. She was told no.

We arrived a little before 12pm and were told to take a seat in the bar area. We ordered drinks and waited. After over half an hour, when others had come in after us and were shown to their seats in the main dinning area, we were still waiting.

My wife asked about our seats and we were shown to a booth at the back end of the bar. Another half hour passed before a girl arrived to take the food order. She appeared 10 minutes later to take the order again, at least she apologised for the inconvenience.

At 1:30pm, with no food forthcoming, my wife asked to see the manager and was told he'd be round shortly. At 1:45pm, my daughter phoned the hotel and asked to speak to the manager, to be told he wasn't on. My wife decided to go back to reception and spoke to the owner. Having been there for almost two hours, he refused to give a refund of the money we'd paid up front, didn't apologise for the wait, but suggested my wife chill and take the afternoon in the spirit it was meant to be - a relaxed afternoon.

That went down like a lead balloon. They then sent round complimentary half filled tea cups of soup with literally 3 spoons of soup in them. I asked if I could have bread, I gave up waiting and ate the soup, which was nice ( a bit of positivity).

At 2:30pm, our main meal arrived. Roast chicken covered in parma ham, stuffed with mushrooms, seasonal veg and potatoes. This was one chicken breast, 1 new potato, and spoonful of mash (warm not hot) and diced veg that was under cooked. The gravy was nice (more positivity).

After eating what I could, my wife ate less of hers, we hot footed it to the station - without waiting for the sweet. At least we had no kids to try to appease for all that time!

There were families around us who left unfed, unrefunded and unsatisfied, with very unhappy kids!

They had clearly booked above their capacity and their capability! Not even an apology! Won't be back, and would definitely, strongly recommend to anyone I speak to to give it a wide berth!

Not sure if it has changed hands, but sorely disappointed!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
11  Thank Tom M
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Booked this for three adults and two children. We were told to be there for 12 noon as the Magician would be there for 1pm. We were seated at 12 noon and given a roll. Menus were then given out and orders taken....so far so good.

By 1:40pm we were being offered cups on lentil soup.....it was a two course meal (main and sweet).....an appeasement??? Waiting staff told us the mains would be out in 5 mins.....by 2pm still nothing, no apology .....we had now been sitting for TWO hours!

Eventually at 2:10pm the main courses arrived. Sunday Roast consisted of two slices of roast beef, covered in gravy, one boiled potato a tablespoonful of mashed potato, a tablespoonful of mixed veg, a Yorkshire Pudding that more resembled a dough ball and was uncooked. The children’s food wasn’t much better, the children love Mac and Cheese but neither could eat it! The main courses appeared as though they had been sitting somewhere for sometime and were lukewarm. The roast beef was fatty, grisly and tough.

By 2:25pm we just wanted out and left before the sweets were delivered to the table. Some staff apologised saying it was due to the numbers, if this was the case why then didn’t they cap the numbers and fill the main function room, rather than have tables throughout the ground floor?

Sitting with two children for two hours without food is pretty hard, okay crayons and a colouring sheet were handed out. Perhaps a couple of bouncy castles would have been more appropriate. No one from management came round to apologise for the delay or communicate with us. This is the first time I’ve ever walked out of a restaurant.

We asked at the Reception about the children’s Easter Eggs to be told they were being given out at the Magic Show which they said was starting at 3pm. Why then were we told to be there for 12 noon....did they expect us to sit and drink alcohol for TWO hours with two young children before the food was served?

Quite honestly this was worst experience I’ve had at a restaurant , we would have been far better at a Carvery at a Brewers Fare, where the food is at least edible, plentiful and hot.

We have stayed at the Parkstone, dined there and had afternoon tea there but this was an Easter shambles, we won’t be back!

Five very unhappy bunnies!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
8  Thank Jim_the_Scot
Parkstone_Prestwick, Owner at Parkstone, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

I am sorry to hear you had misunderstood the schedule for the Easter Show afternoon event and I am unsure as to why you thought the magician was arriving at 1pm as it had always been 3pm. The advertised schedule was for the event to run from 12 noon to 4pm as you will see within the promotional leaflet. Guest arrival was scheduled from 12 noon - 12.30pm with food orders being taken between 12.30pm and 1pm. Lunch was scheduled to last 2 hours from 1pm to 3pm whereupon the Magic Show would commence at 3pm within our first floor function room.

Unfortunately, as with any event of this type, some guests will arrive early and some will arrive late, hence we set out anticipated service time. I can understand if you arrived at 11.45am, it might seem a relatively long time from this point until your order being taken at 12.50pm. We thought that being explicit with timings, would allow guests to make their own judgments as to when they should arrive.

We did introduce a complementary soup course to the Menu in advance of the Event. Although the Menu was advertised as a Main & Dessert, Mains always take longer to cook than other courses, consequently, when guests do not have a starter course, they can feel the wait for a main course is unnecessarily long. Consequently, we had decided (as we regularly do with such events) to include a complementary soup course largely to avoid guests being potentially frustrated whilst waiting for the main course. It was not an 'appeasement' as such, but an intended 'add on' to fill that time when guests wait from order to receiving their main course. My understanding is that you refused the soup.

As mentioned in your review, you left at 2.25pm, some 35 minutes before the scheduled start time of the show.

I am disappointed if you felt the afternoon was unnecessarily elongated and that 2 hours was too long for the scheduled pre-show lunch. When running a 'group event', there is always a risk of some guests arriving late, consequently, the published service schedule is generally longer than usual to ensure that, in the event of any late arrivals, the show start time is achieved.

In conclusion, whilst your frustration is regrettable, the event was clearly advertised as running from 12 Noon to 4pm. As mentioned, I do not know why you understood the Magic Show was commencing at 1pm as it would have been impossible to provide a full lunch service within the 30 minute period from guest arrivals at 12.30pm to 1pm.

Regards

Eric Ronald
Proprietor

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Bought a lunch deal for myself hubby and daughter as we have been here before on groupon deals Well today was the worst experience ever Obviously this deal was well oversold and relied on lots of inexperienced staff all under 20 to deal with. On website it advertised 12-4 we arrived at 12 and were still waiting to be allocated a table 20 mins later Bar staff were way out of their depth trying to cope with demmand. I was not drinking alcohol as i was driving My family and 2 others were put in booths behind bar and forgotten about At half 1 i asked to see manager and was told he will come round He didnt My daughter called reception and was told manager wasnt available even though he was 'coming round' We were given half teacups of soup to quell hunger as weve been there 2 hours now and still waiting on bread for soup (never mind weve left) and manager advised me to chill and enjoy day as it was planned. After being advised my husband was diabetic we were given meals hot lamb cold potatoes undercooked veg just didnt appease us We left so did couple with young boy behind us They had driven from Renfrew to be there and had drive back and child wasnt fed Totally shocking indifferent attitude of manager totally inexperienced staff Will not be back to this place which seems to ignore that good reviews get custom in bad reviews keep them away I see from other reviews it has had change of managemnt I did say to you today I will post accurate review Well this it it You have totally ruined our day I hope you take a long hard look and review yourself!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
8  Thank Janice M
Reviewed 30 March 2018

Just back from a 2 night stay with my husband.
James (the manager) and all staff were great and very helpful.
We dined in the restaurant on both evenings and was not disappointed.
Our room was nice and clean & very comfortable.
On our second evening the manager was confronted with a very rude & threatening guest. He dealt with the situation in very polite & professional manner.
We will definitely return.

Stayed: March 2018
Parkstone_Prestwick, Owner at Parkstone, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Thank you for posting such a positive review of your stay - I was delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable visit and found our food to be so good. It is also very kind of you to specifically mention James. We very much hope you will visit again in the near future.

Warm regards