“Great visit”

and up
Historic Scotland Explorer Pass
Ranked #7 of 68 things to do in Perth
More attraction details
Owner description: A tale of two families - Huntingtower Castle was a lordly residence for 300 years, from the 15th to the 18th century. It is associated with two noble families: the Ruthvens (later earls of Gowrie) and, following their downfall in 1600, the Murrays (earls of Tullibardine and later dukes of Atholl). Prior to 1600, Huntingtower was known as the Place of Ruthven.Huntingtower has hosted some famous visitors, and been associated with some dramatic events. Mary Queen of Scots stayed here in 1565, during her honeymoon with Lord Darnley. In 1582, Mary’s son, James VI, was held here against his will by the 1st Earl of Gowrie, in a famous episode known as the ‘Ruthven Raid’. With the downfall of the 3rd Earl in 1600, in an equally bizarre episode called the ‘Gowrie Conspiracy’, the Ruthvens were disinherited and their forfeited castle was renamed Huntingtower.
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Alison, the property manager, gave us a potted history of the castle (she came out later to ask if we wanted her to take a family photo - such a lovely lady) then we went off to explore. The information boards are helpful and there are lots of rooms to explore. You can climb right to the top for views over Perth. A great property and one of the few in the area that is open in the Winter months.

All reviews
in 14 reviews
"small site"
"four floors"

Reviewed 1 March 2018

We were greeted by an exceptionally friendly member of staff (Alison, I think her name was) who took time to explain the history of the castle including the story of Dorothea who jumped from one tower to the next, which when you see the distance is quite remarkable. The painted ceiling is very interesting too. Lovely spiral staircases & it was great to be able to walk round the top of the castel

Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

My wife and I brought our three kids and had brilliant time; climbing the twisty stairs, walking the rampart, marvelling at the medieval parkour expert Dorothea who leapt between the towers.

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

I arrived on a damp rainy Sunday afternoon.
I went into the shop, and was greeted by a wonderful young lady called Siobhan.
She enquired if I was visiting the Castle for the first time, which I told her I was.
She then showed me the best route to take around the Castle, and provided me with a rather in depth history of the site.
I think that I was given this treatment, as I appeared to be the only visitor at that time.
However, going by her wonderful personality, I am sure that she would provide all this information to all the visitors.
The Castle is really good, and is definitely worth a visit.
I do have to highlight that there is a lot of stairs, so it is probably not the best for people with limited mobility.

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 November 2017

My family and I had had most of a great day at Scone Palace, but on our way back to our accommodation for the Half Term Week in Almondbank (very close to Huntingtower) we offered my young son a quick half hour whizzing round the castle. We are Historic Environment Scotland members, so we weren't worried about the cost directly, as it was already covered in our membership. As we walked across the car-park and through the gate however, I noticed that we wouldn't have too much time there even if we wanted it, as we were just five minutes BEFORE the last entry time, (which itself was an hour before closure).

Foolishly I thought that a quick look around would be fine, as we would still be long gone before the venue actually closed, more than an hour away. Unfortunately we were literally met before we got in the door by an extremely rude and utterly unmovable member of staff who was apparently more interested in leaving early than letting Historic Scotland members gain entry. This member of staff was determined that we were not able to get in, suggesting that even though his clock was clearly wrong he had to abide by what time it said, or else he would have to let "everyone else in". (There was no one else waiting or arriving in the car-park, even as we were effectively 'invited to leave').

I have to say that I have never been treated in such a contemptuous way by anyone, let alone someone who I am effectively contributing to paying their salary. This was such an unnecessary incident, totally of that member of staff's making and leaving an extremely poor experience for me and my family to remember for many years to come. We have since complained to Historic Scotland, but despite an apology, we only got the offer of being shown around the castle again.

With the threat of that member of staff being there still, we have decided that the experience is well avoided. As such, my recommendation to anyone who might be contemplating arriving at this destination is to beware, as a gratuitously extremely rude and arrogant person works there, and you never know when they might unleash that rudeness at you - and your family!

3  Thank AliY1Ed