Open today: 10:00 - 18:00

2 408
1 007
2 408
1 007
All reviews eilean donan gift shop the kitchen car park beautiful location isle of skye well worth the visit entrance fee take photos interesting history rooms photographed scotland cafe interior highlander visitors
122 - 127 of 3 763 reviews
Reviewed 17 August 2018

I had heard it described as a fairy tale castle, but then I saw it and it made sense. The picturesque setting, Isle of Skye in the background, the bridge over the water, its just beautiful. The history behind it is pretty amazing too. Members of Clan Macrae are still the current owners of the property and the restoration done and maintained by the family is amazing. Make sure to look at the hand drawn family trees that are on display, they are incredible. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable too. It is definitely a must see!

Reviewed 17 August 2018

We visited in August so it's to be expected that the castle and visitor centre were very busy. Car park also gets very full. Beautiful location. The castle itself has lots of interesting artefacts and rooms, however more information would be appreciated - maybe we missed an audio guide? Gift shop is varied with some beautiful souvenirs.

If you just want to see the castle for the view and photographs, it may be worth (if you are approaching from Kyle of Lochalsh) to turn right before the bridge towards the 'Jetty' which provides a lovely shot.

2  Thank jaynel0u
Reviewed 15 August 2018

This was one of my favorite castles on our Scotland tour. It is a photo opt in the making. Visit early if you can and avoid the tour buses - if not go when you can do not miss this one!

Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

Was her for my daughter and son in laws wedding on the 11 th Aug and wow what a venue steeped in history and the scenery just blew us away absolutely stunning

Reviewed 14 August 2018

We had been looking forward to visiting this castle for ages. First problem we had was parking. The car parked were full and this was on a pouring wet day at 11am. The loos were the first stop after a two hour drive to get there and it didn’t get any better. They were queued out the door and looked, and smelt, as if they hadn’t been cleaned in days. Onto the gift shop and you have the usual array of overpriced tat but is definitely one of the better things. We then went to have lunch before going to the castle itself and this is where they really excelled. Hot lunches are served from 12-3.30pm, at 1157 I asked for a piece of quiche which was sitting waiting to be plated and was told I couldn’t have it as it wasn’t 12 yet. At first I though he was kidding, I did point out it was only 3 minutes to go and he went and asked the supervisor who told him no, it was too early. By this point i was ready to leave the rest of the stuff we bought and walk out until my husband asked the manager who agreed to let me have the quiche. I wish I hadn’t bothered, it tasted as though it had been sitting out for hours.
Onto the actual castle and they have a no backpack or large bag rule which really didn’t bother me and the no photography rule for the castle isn’t such a big deal either as there’s really nothing worth photographing.
To finish all I can say is, been there, done that and will be in no rush back