“Save you money!”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$64,74*
and up
Skye and Eilean Donan Castle - Day tour from...
More attraction details
Owner description: This picturesque castle, built in 1220, holds the title of the most photographed castle in Scotland.
Reviewed 14 August 2018

We had been looking forward to visiting this castle for ages. First problem we had was parking. The car parked were full and this was on a pouring wet day at 11am. The loos were the first stop after a two hour drive to get there and it didn’t get any better. They were queued out the door and looked, and smelt, as if they hadn’t been cleaned in days. Onto the gift shop and you have the usual array of overpriced tat but is definitely one of the better things. We then went to have lunch before going to the castle itself and this is where they really excelled. Hot lunches are served from 12-3.30pm, at 1157 I asked for a piece of quiche which was sitting waiting to be plated and was told I couldn’t have it as it wasn’t 12 yet. At first I though he was kidding, I did point out it was only 3 minutes to go and he went and asked the supervisor who told him no, it was too early. By this point i was ready to leave the rest of the stuff we bought and walk out until my husband asked the manager who agreed to let me have the quiche. I wish I hadn’t bothered, it tasted as though it had been sitting out for hours.
Onto the actual castle and they have a no backpack or large bag rule which really didn’t bother me and the no photography rule for the castle isn’t such a big deal either as there’s really nothing worth photographing.
To finish all I can say is, been there, done that and will be in no rush back

Write a ReviewReviews (3 752)
All reviews
"highlander"
in 115 reviews

119 - 123 of 3 752 reviews

Reviewed 14 August 2018

The best part of this place is the outside. The castle itself is more an homage to the family that owns it. Take your pictures and travel on.

1  Thank Cristina G
Reviewed 13 August 2018

This castle is so beautiful the exterior is magical . I did not go in this time... but on the way to porttree we passed it. I had to stop ...saw a bagpiper it was beautiful !!! On the way back from porttree driving past it again ...we stopped because I cannot get enough of this castle!

Reviewed 13 August 2018

It belongs to the interesting castles in Scotland . It has been built in a beautiful location where three sea lochs meet , that give the castle a fabulous views . We enjoyed going inside the historical caste .