“Great Beer”

Shilling Brewing Company
Ranked #82 of 2 667 Restaurants in Glasgow
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Description: This is no tall tale. Here at Shilling Brewing Co. we’ve opened the doors to a new brewpub experience for Glasgow, a city with a centuries-old heritage of brewing pioneers Whether this is your first step on the road to discovering beer, or you’re already familiar with the path, we invite you in to enjoy and experience our beers from the source. At the forefront is our very own core range of beers; designed to be enjoyed fresh, just metres from where they’re brewed. On the taps and in the fridges is everything from the old guard to the new wave; you’ll find them all here in our welcoming space to sip, savour and discover. Alongside beer, pizza is our speciality; it’s a match made in heaven. Our pizzas are made from scratch in house by Roberto our pizzaiolo, who uses his own special recipe to make his dough along with a blend of baker’s and brewer’s yeast from our on-site brewery. Proved for 48 hours, the dough is cooked in our cupola oven and topped with a tempting array of fresh ingredients, resulting in the best pizzas, great for sharing along with a pint of your favourite beer.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We found this place very noisy. The beer was excellent (we had their own) and the pizza was very good. The service was quick and efficient.

Danny M, Manager at Shilling Brewing Company, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2018

Hi Eileen,

Thanks for taking time to leave us a review. Glad to hear you enjoyed our beers and pizza, and as ever happy to hear our staff continue to deliver great service. Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

We stumbled into this place by accident. Food was very good, as was the selection of craft beer. You can order tasters to discover more beers.
The menu consists mainly of pizza and bar food. Pizza was very good and there's some vegetarian and even a few vegan choices.

Hi Alexandra,

Thanks for the excellent review. Glad to hear your stumbling found you at our doors, and as ever glad to hear our pizza and beers continue to delight. Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 20 June 2018

Had a great pint and pizza here for lunch on a hot Saturday afternoon. I had the sweet potato, chili and coconut pizza, which was absolutely delicious. The staff was not super friendly and a little standoff-ish. The space is great, the beer is good and the pizza is top notch.

Hi Erin,

Thanks for taking time to leave us a review. Happy to hear you enjoyed our surroundings, and our great food and beer. I'm sorry you found our staff stand-offish, I can only hope this was a freak occurrence as our reviews frequently praise our staff. I hope if you're back in they are up to their usual high standard.

Reviewed 10 June 2018

I was the organiser for a holiday event with 30 people. From the moment we got there, it was a disaster. Our table was covered in another groups' coats (which the staff refused to move or deal with), the food was wildly slow and select staff members were incredibly rude (to be fair, others were very nice).

They served the pizzas one at a time and it ended up taking over 3 hours to get everyone fed. When I asked what was going on, the manager shortly said "Well we only have one oven ok and we have other tables too!"... OK... Well don't take a booking for 30 people then? I had to ask several times for more food be brought to our table.. For £15pp, you would expect more than an handful of pizzas brought out to serve 30..

To add to the "fun", they had Inconsistent products/pricing at the bar. Example: the first time up to the bar, I ordered a pint of a certain beer (pints were on special for students).. The second time I went to get the same beer and a different server told me "we don't serve that beer in pints, you have to take the smaller size".. It was busy so I dind't make much of it until they charged me a higher price.. for less beer.. "only pints are on sale" she said as she walked away.. I tried to have a reasonable discussion to find out where the inconsistency was coming from but the manager brushed me off..

Will never go back, which is too bad because the setting is quite nice.. I recommend you guys not take on big groups.. You clearly can't handle it... I was embarrassed to the coordinator to be honest

Chris N, General Manager at Shilling Brewing Company, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2018

Hello there,

Unfortunately this review does not mention when you visited us, which makes it difficult to respond to with total accuracy, but seeing as how we had no groups of this size, or with a corresponding price point at any time in 2018, I assume this was from Christmas 2017?

If so, I would state that your party had the opportunity to order drinks tokens for your group which would have given you significant drinks discounts, but opted not to do so. I feel that the pricing structure is exceptionally competitive in the current market. The 'buffet style' nature of the package and the menu itself were explained clearly and terms & conditions were issued to support that.

Although we did reserve you an area, the tables are in use by other customers throughout the day, and they had been asked to clear out of the area upon your arrival. We do endeavour to clear empty glasses from tables but if a few were missed, I can only apologise and cite the high volume business of this particular time of year.

Again, as mentioned in the terms & conditions issued to your party prior to our confirmation of the reservation, we do state that 'Our pizza oven makes one yard long pizza at a time so larger bookings please be aware not all pizzas will arrive at the same time'.

If you would like to discuss this in any more detail, I can be reached directly at manager@shillingbrewingcompany.co.uk

Best,

Chris Nicol,
general Manager

Reviewed 4 June 2018

Great choices for some home brew. Found it was a great location, not far walking distance to George Square. Fantastic service. Fantastic Pizza! Thank you David for the warm welcome from Glasgow to Canada.

Hi there,

Thanks for the great review. Happy to hear you enjoyed your time here. We do indeed have a very convenient location for a break during a city stroll. Glad to hear our food and service was fantastic, I'll be sure to pass on your regards to David. Hope to see you when you're next over