Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
eDreamsUS$224
PricelineUS$224
Agoda.comUS$224
TripadvisorUS$224
ZenHotels.com
StayForLong
All reviews restaurant downstairs no lift top floor golf trip lovely hotel golf course breakfast was excellent central location excellent stay play golf andrews golfers receptionist university links wee
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 June 2021 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times with my son whilst golfing in St Andrews, for us it’s perfect. Friendly attentive staff, comfortable rooms (great shower), superb breakfast and evening meals in the restaurant. Just a minutes walk from the famous Old Course 18th green.
Had no issues parking on the side road opposite.
Can’t wait to go back.

Room tip: If stairs are an issue, request a ground floor room.
Trip type: Travelled with family
Playfair Hotels, Owner at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2021

Hello Sightseer07423845664,

Thank you for leaving us a great review! We're so glad that we were able to tick all your boxes during your stay, and we can't wait to be able to welcome you back again soon!

Hotel Manaer

Reviewed 3 June 2021

Positives: the hotel was very close to the bus station, town and the golf courses/beach. So fab location. The receptionist Becca was so friendly and helpful -give her a pay rise! Breakfast was great, wished the portions were more slightly generous e.g. refill of drinks. The room itself felt luxurious and clean, and the bed was super comfy. The sink was outside the shower/toilet which is odd but not a big deal.

Negatives: no lifts! So if you got a heavy bag, you've got to lug it up stairs to get to reception and then 3 more flights of stairs for your room. It is a small/old hotel so this is understandable but just a warning! The kettle wire is not long enough from the plug to where the desk was situated so was half balancing on the desk (this just needs the desk to be moved so it can be placed properly). There was so much noise at night from other rooms/guests, and nothing was done about it and even the receptionist commented the next day saying not sure what the night porter did... This was really annoying as it wasn't just a short while, it was loud for a while quite late. Also the cleaners left the stuff all over the stairs throughout the entire stay, I appreciate they need to clean rooms and areas but perhaps they can contain the space when putting their stuff everywhere, especially when carrying luggage up/down.
And finally the biggest problem I had was not being able to store luggage. Whilst I knew this upon checking in, I thought there would be somewhere I could go on the day to drop my bags off to store them. Despite asking (duty?) manager, she was very blunt and, without any sort of compassion, didn't help as to where I could store the bags and for covid reasons and their risk assessment that they cant store bags - surprising given that EVERY other hotel I stayed at during my 2 week trip offered holding luggage. There are many ways to circumvent the 'touch' issue if that is the problem. This was a huge inconvenience on the day of checkout stressing to find somewhere to leave my luggage. Becca was lovely trying to help me out and calling large storage places to help me out - there was one who would have stored my bags for £30... There are no luggage storage places in St Andrews, which I had been misinformed by the hotel prior to staying there and the bus lockers were out (and also apparently too small for a normal suitcase). Tip - try calling the Golf Clubhouse they were super helpful and willing to store my luggage (though they shouldn't have to because the hotel should be able to). Luckily, I got in touch with other hotels nearby and the Hotel du Vin were extremely friendly and allowed me to store my luggage for the day there for free. It was also close to the Ardgowan which was convenient.

Overall, if this luggage issue was fixed for the future (rather than being a covid excuse), I would consider staying here again as the room itself was nice and location was great. Having said that, next time I would look at Hotel du Vin too now... or even stay in Dundee and do a day trip(s) in as the prices for St Andrews hotels in general are extortionate and it is only a 30-40 min bus journey.

1  Thank p26s

Hello P26s,

Thank you for leaving your comments for us. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay for the most part and that you had great service from Becca, our lovely receptionist. I'm sorry that there were noisy guests who disturbed you during your stay. As Becca mentioned, we do have a night porter on all night, and guests can always phone reception with issues like this and our night porter is happy to address it.

What is most frustrating for us is that you were made aware that we could not store bags for you prior to arrival and you even acknowledge this, however you have still complained to us both at check out and now in several reviews. We understand that it was an inconvenience, but that is why we make everyone aware of this prior to arrival so that they have time to make alternate arrangements. We put a lot of thought into our risk assessment upon reopening, and for the protection of our staff and guests, we could no longer justify allowing residents to leave their bags with us, as it would mean lots of bags crowded in a small space with the potential to spread COVID. Our hotel can house 60+ guests and it wasn't feasible for us to allow all our guests to leave their bags in reception. These last few months have been very difficult for small businesses like ourselves, trying to manage so many post-COVID expectations while also trying to protect our guests and staff to the best of our ability, and I hope that you can understand our position.

Reviewed 28 May 2021

Conveniently located for the centre of town with parking in the road opposite.
A very pleasant room tucked away on the top floor, rather warm, with everything working. I often wonder if one always gets the best rooms if one books direct.
A great breakfast and plenty of smiley staff.
FAB!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hello CaptainH-C,

Thank you for leaving us a great review! We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. You'll always get the best rate if you book direct so that's our recommendation anyway. We're so glad you got great service with a smile and we hope you can come stay again soon!

Carmen

Reviewed 21 May 2021

We had a perfectly nice stay here just after indoor hospitality reopened. Room was comfortable and food was fine, all for a reasonable price.

However the reason this score is so low is because of how tight and cheap the hotel was with us, all in the name of covid safety.

They will not clean the room while you are staying in the hotel. This is understandable given the pandemic but the cleaners still walk around the hotel with no masks on!

The hotel makes you order breakfast the night before but all this means is that they only have to serve the exact amount of food people order (not exactly generous). This does not seem like a "covid-required" measure.

Finally, and this was a huge inconvenience to the end of our stay, you cannot store your luggage with the hotel. This is stated on the website however it is discretionary in the covid regulations in Scotland and not a requirement. We were told we could store our bags in lockers at the coach station down the road, but these lockers are closed due to covid! So we had to trudge down the road in the pouring rain and drag our bags around with us all day before getting our train. Storage of luggage would not necessitate additional social contacts. You could just leave your bags behind reception and no hotel staff would need to touch them! Maybe this lowers their insurance premiums or something but, as a guest, it made us feel very poorly treated. Please consider changing this policy since we were very badly inconvenienced. This left a really sour taste at the end of our trip.

We wouldn't stay here again.

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Playfair Hotels, Owner at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2021

Hello Patrick,

I’m sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us but I’d like to take the time to address some of your comments.

We have stopped automatically servicing any stay overs just to keep contact between our housekeeping staff and guests to a minimum, however we are always willing to clean rooms for guests if they request it. This is written in the welcome letter that we give to each guest at check in.

All our staff wear masks throughout the public areas of the hotel and restaurant with the exception of one who has a medical exemption, and she has an NHS lanyard that she wears stating this.

Because of social distancing, we have limited tables in our restaurant where we serve breakfast, so we take pre-orders and book in table times to ensure that our guests are served quickly and efficiently without having to queue. I'm sorry that you felt the portion sizes were too small, but I will pass your comments on to our Director of Food and Beverage.

As you've stated, on the COVID page on our website, we have said that we are unable to store bags for guests. We also contact all our guests prior to arrival to make them aware that they are not able to store bags with us before or after their stay so they are not disappointed. I am confused as to why you thought you could still store your bags with us when you knew that you would not be able to. The reason we do not store bags has nothing to do with our insurance premiums, it is the result of our carefully thought-out risk assessment on COVID to minimise the spread.

I’m sure you’re aware COVID restrictions have had a huge impact on so many small businesses throughout the UK. We have had to adapt every aspect of our business to meet ever-changing rules and regulations and unfortunately there is no set standard for how hotels should operate with regards to breakfast or bag storage or daily cleaning. We put a lot of thought and effort into how best to move forward in the midst of challenging times while also ensuring that our guests are well looked after, so I’m sorry you found our procedures frustrating. Until we reach level zero, we will continue with our current procedures to protect our guests and staff.

Reviewed 3 November 2020

Good clean no frills hotel with super friendly staff and a great breakfast. Perfect location for our wee golf mini break and right round the corner from the famous links. Just a five minute walk and you're looking out over the famous links and the Swilken Burn.

Date of stay: October 2020
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Playfair Hotels, Owner at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2020

Hello Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a great review for us! We're so glad that we were the perfect location for your golf holiday - just around the corner from the Old Course! We hope that you can come stay with us again soon.