“A Good Local Hangout”

Ranked #72 of 158 Restaurants in St Andrews
Price range: US$5 - US$18
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Welcome to The Blue Stane, where hospitality counts Any pub in historic St Andrews is bound to appeal to a wide range of people and The Blue Stane is no exception. Taking its name from a Pictish relic alleged to have been the coronation stone of King Kenneth McAlpine, it's a stylish, friendly bar that appeals to everyone from golf-playing tourists to local families, students and pensioners. Sports fans are kept occupied with six televisions and two Sky boxes showing all the major fixtures. Anyone can try their skills on the pool table or dart board, and whisky drinkers can explore the many malts behind the bar. With good food, good company and a good pint of Belhaven Best, The Blue Stane keeps everyone on side
Reviewed 28 June 2018

In a recent visit to St. Andrews my friend's and I decided to go to a local pub. As we walked around St. Andrews we came upon The Blue Stane. We sat at the bar and was welcomed by the bartender. We enjoyed a few pints and had some of the bar food.
We chatted with the locals, met some great folks and was impressed with the quality of the food.
Stop by and enjoy a down the earth St. Andrews experience.

L2scott, General Manager at The Blue Stane, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2018

Hi TheEdgeNYC,

Thank you for your lovely review of our pub! I’m very pleased to hear you enjoyed our hospitality and our food during your visit. We have worked hard to improve our food quality and housekeeping standards over the last few months and my team will be glad to know their efforts have paid off.

And yes, I would agree that our regular local clientele are great company!

I hope you will return to see us some time soon.

Thanks
Linda Scott

Reviewed 16 June 2018

This definitely has a college bar atmosphere. Service at the bar was okay but we ordered nachos and waited at least 30 minutes for the saddest plate of "nachos" I've ever seen. We definitely overpaid for a saucer of Doritos sprinkled with cheese and jalapenos with sour cream & salsa on the side. The cheese wasn't melted and we'd asked for the peppers on the side. You'd think for the wait, we'd have gotten a lot more. If you're not picky about service or overpaying for small portions, this is the spot for you.

L2scott, General Manager at The Blue Stane, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2018

Hi Deb,
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I’m sorry you did not receive the service you should have and will address the quality issues you describe with the Kitchen Manager. If you would like to discuss this further please contact me on 1642@greeneking.co.uk.

Reviewed 15 May 2018

5 years since last visit and it looked like the advertise photos but now looks more like a closed abandoned pub, ripped seating, dull and dismal you would find on homes under the hammer and if Belhaven have no interest in investing in this pub maybe off to auction would be a good idea. St Andrew needs better. We only stayed for a drink which was not cheap, as the taxi stand is close by. They do food but I daren't think what that would be like. If you are into pool or sport on tv and not interested in your surroundings may suit you.

L2scott, General Manager at The Blue Stane, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2018

Hi Kay,
Thank you for providing feedback on the business as you found it when you visited. My apologies that you did not enjoy it.

As a new manager to site I fully take on board your comments. If you would like to discuss this further then please email me at 1642@greeneking.co.uk

Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

I have never been to the Blue Stane before so did not know what to expect but was invited there by some work colleagues. It looked a little small, pokey and dark and would not be my choice of venue for a night out but I guess the students like it. I went to the bar to get a round of drinks where the barman - spacers in his ear and bleached hair- seemed to dislike the fact that I had interrupted his conversation and begrudgingly dragged himself out of the stool where he was sat on the public side of the bar. There were no pleasantries, no greetings and the only thing he said to me was something like ‘can you ask your friend to move out of the corridor as he is blocking the way to the toilets’. I responded that I did not think he was and said to the barman that if he had an issue with it then he should go and speak with what is a patron at the bar. He clearly was unhappy at this response and to be honest I would happily have told him to stuff the round of drinks and gone elsewhere. I understand he’d been this rude all night to my work colleagues, all of us who actually work in the hospitality industry. But this was their choice of venue not mine.

The barman was a little politer when he informed me of drinking up time but first impressions last. Seriously if you dislike working in a public house that much go elsewhere and not try and ruin other peoples nights who are bringing in money when there are a while lot of other places we could spend our money in.

Very disappointing.

Hi Karen,
Firstly let me apologise for the delay in responding to your review. As a new manager to site I had to wait for a trip advisor to verify my account.
Secondly, and most importantly, I wholeheartedly apologise for the poor service you received during your visit. I have revisited the customer journey with my team.
If you would like to discuss your visit further please email me at 1642@greeneking.co.uk

Reviewed 12 April 2018

I am a St Andrews resident and took my husband and three kids plus my friend with husband and two kids for lunch today, knowing it was a Bellhaven Pub and would cater for the adults and children. In entering the pub - and being such a large group - one of the severing staff mouthed 'oh f***' as we walked in and pointed to our table. However we ordered our food and drinks and waited. Having 5 kids to amuse it was noticeable that the food took unusually long to appear, roughly 30 mins and we had all finished our drinks and the kids were getting restless. There were kids menu's with activities in them but no one came near us with pens so that was the first issue. The food came, kids meals and one adult meal. Then a five minute wait for the next three adult meals which was very disappointing but still not a disaster. I had ordered a chicken ceaser salad as my husband had one in a Bellhaven Pub in Dundee recently and said it was very good. The salad had no Ceaser dressing so I flagged down the server and she said she would go and get me some. she returned a few minutes later to tell me there was no Ceaser dressing but I could have French dressing! I was speechless and did manage to explain that the whole point of the salad was the dressing therefore I would never have ordered it if she had told me there was no dressing! What 'Chef ' would put out a Ceaser Salad with no Ceaser dressing? Anyway due to the wait for the food others were nearly finished so I had to decline the offer of ordering an alternative and have nothing so it spoiled the whole dinner. It's worth adding that the 'chicken ' was the processed frozen strips you get in a bag in Aldi and I would have sent it back anyway as it was not a fresh chicken breast, just awful........
I will actively avoid Bellhaven pubs at all cost now.

1  Thank Emma W

Dear Emma,
I would like to offer you a full apology for the frankly disgraceful service you received on your visit to us. Please be assured that this has been fully investigated. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
If you wish to discuss this further then please email me at 1642@greeneking.co.uk

Linda Scott