“Nice food, service could be more attentive”

Michael's Steak & Seafood Bar
Ranked #228 of 2 700 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The food was very tasty and the stuff is friendly. But they could be more attentive, it took a allways bit of time to get there attention when drinks where empty and we liked to order more or to ask for the bill.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Wherever I go I drive by places that look good, I read the menus outside and look over the place over. The name helps sometimes, Michaels always works for me . This place had it all before I walked in. We came in a little late, with no reservation. They were so welcoming, we said we’d wait,we sat at the bar ordered drinks for a short wait. They were so friendly, I knew we picked the right place. I brought some friends who own a restaurant in Australia and he’s the chef. We ordered some apps, the oysters were the best I’ve ever had (be back in Seattle this week), we ordered more. The fish dishes, scallops, mussels, everything was excellent from taste to presentation. My friends were impressed. The staff and the service made for a fun evening, we closed the place down. I made sure I went back there on our last night with another friend. We were the last seating and everything was as excellent as the previous visit, they took care us. I met the chef on both visits and could tell he cares. I can’t say enough about the overall experience. Just a big thanks and can’t wait to come back!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Looking for some fresh Scottish seafood close to our hotel and found this gem on TripAdvisor. Extra bonus: it was within easy walking distance from the Premier Inn on Market Street. We're early diners so were initially the only diners in this pleasantly decorated restaurant. We were warmly greeted and well-taken care of during our visit. Started with a glass of prosecco, Skipped the starters and went straight to the Mains. My companion ordered the Grilled King Scallops which she said were excellent. I ordered the Seafood Crumble and was VERY happy with my choice...absolutely delicious. The salmon in the dish was some of the best I've had. We shared the Pear Parfait for dessert - light and refreshing. When we return, the Scottish Blue Shell Mussels are on the list to try!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Just off the Royal Mile near Edinburgh’s train station, this is a fantastic restaurant. We visited on a rainy Saturday evening having booked a couple of hours before. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable. The menu is varied but not so much as to overstretch themselves on quality. Food fantastic. They also have a small cocktail menu. Worth seeking out.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

While visiting Edinburgh, Michael’s was recommended to us, the food was terrible. We ordered the Prawn cocktail which turned out to be tiny shrimp covered in a white dressing and some kind of sour yellow dressing in the bottom. We had the crab cakes that were filled with potato and had a big piece of shell in one of them. The grilled prawns were actually prawn sized but they basically snatched it from the sea and threw it on the grill, it arrived head and shell on and it was not deveined. There is nothing more gross than having to remove the “poop sack” at the table before you eat it. My husband had some tough, flavourless steak, the whole experience was gross and overpriced. They only mildly redeeming quality was that the service was ok.