“Amazing kirk in lovely setting”

St Cuthbert's Parish Church
Ranked #115 of 450 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: St Cuthbert's is a Church of Scotland Presbyterian Church. Believed to be the oldest Christian site in Edinburgh, and originally founded by St Cuthbert around 1100 years ago. The current spire is dated 1775, and is all that remains of the previous building. The current building was completed in 1894. Regular Sunday services are : 9:30am Holy Communion. 11am Morning Worship and 6pm Evening Worship, include the ministry of prayer for healing. Full service details and what's taking place in the church, can be found on the website. Find us on the corner of Lothian Road and Kings' Stables Road in Edinburgh, Scotland. St Cuthbert's core vision is to : Live out the Gospel of Jesus Christ, as God's people, at the heart of our city. Nurture hearts for God. Offer a home to friend and stranger. Provide a hub to equip the people of God for the mission of God.
Reviewed 9 May 2017 via mobile

I followed the sound of the bells on Sunday and found this lovely old church with its own ancient graveyard at the foot of Edinburgh Castle. I was pleased with the calm woodland atmosphere which feels far away from the busy city noise and traffic. Welcoming Minister and clergy to any visitor wanting to join the service. I felt restored after the service and went happily on my way.

All reviews
"kirkyard"
"visitors"
"ghost"

Reviewed 6 May 2017

Wandered through by pure chance but glad we did. Huge grace stones and grace 'plaques' if that is how you describe the large headstones on the walls?!
Best of all, visit after dark. We took the Bus Ghost Tour, but you can go there anytime anyway, and had a wander round the site. Very spooky and atmospheric although we didn't actually encounter any ghosts.
A real 'go-visit' I would say.

1  Thank Terence K
Reviewed 8 March 2017

I adore old graveyards that are steeped in history and have stories to tell, so I planned my trip to Edinburgh to see Greyfriar's churchyard. When I announced my planned visit, I was advised to visit St Cuthbert's churchyard, which is in the center of Edinburgh and I was amazed.

This is truly a beautiful graveyard with wonderful old Memento Mori headstones that are simply breathtaking and I'm surprised that it's not talked about as much as Greyfriar's churchyard.

So, if you're like me and you have a fascination with old headstones, St Cuthbert's is a must see graveyard.

Reviewed 30 January 2017

Had a good walk around this city, including up Calton hill, where a looked down upon the city and it's sleepy spires, one of the nearer ones was St Cuthbert's a building that swings along quite well with the ambience of the city, unlike some carbuncles you would see around and about.