“A hair raising good time!”

City of the Dead Tours
Ranked #61 of 230 Tours in Edinburgh
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: These walks are designed by best selling historical author and award winning novelist J A Henderson. "The best of Edinburgh’s ghost tours" – Lonely Planet Guide. Combining history, humour and horror, the walk ends inside the Covenanter’s Prison in a locked section of a 16th century cemetery. This is the lair of the "McKenzie Poltergeist," the best-documented paranormal case in history. "Puts the city's other ghost tours in the shade"- Edinburgh Evening News
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We went on the 3 p.m. Underground City of the Dead Tour on March 29th and it was fabulous! Our guide was highly knowledgeable about the history of the area and shared with us some stories that really changed our view of the area/time. There were no gimmicks or people jumping out at you (which I appreciate). This was a straightforward tour that shared the story of the underground vaults and its unfortunate uses. It was fascinating and the tour guide was a wealth of knowledge. Highly recommended!

1  Thank CIS_Traveller1
Write a ReviewReviews (2 216)
All reviews
"a great story teller"
in 21 reviews
"tour group"
in 24 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 25 reviews

13 - 17 of 2 216 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This is my first review on here but it had to be done!

We got our tickets earlier in the day and was told to meet at 9.50pm where we had bought them. We arrived showed out ticket for 11adults and all got our little city of dead details ticket. I suffer with Crohns and asked the questions I needed before we set off he answered as best he could giving ideas and tips to help.

Once everyone was there we set off.
Gerry with a G, knows his was around is very helpful and very very entertaining. It was cold and snowed a little and at times my heart was racing but nothing would have made me walk away from the exciting fact filled experience. You can tell that Gerry with a G, loves his job as he will tell you the facts and not the "facts" of the internet.

I would definitely recommend doing the double dead tour a bit of walking but so worth it! If it is wet wear sensible shoes you wouldn't mind getting a little muddy as the graveyard part was bad.
If you do this tour and get Gerry with a G, you are lucky enjoy and be open-minded.
One of the best things I have ever done and even bought a book from the gift shop to read more about one of the ghosts.
Cant eait for my next trio to Scotland as I will certainly be doing another tour.
Thank you again Gerry with a G you made it an experience to remember!!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The guide Grant was knowledgeable and entertaining , but this tour is just not scary.
And you do not visit many rooms under ground. Disappointing.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We arrived in Edinburgh on Wednesday, March 21st and we asked the concierge in our hotel for her recommendations on what to do given our limited time in town. One of her top suggestions was the City of the Dead tour. Specifically the Double Dead Tour which covers the underground vaults of South Bridge and Greyfriars cemetery. We went on the 7:30pm tour later that very night. Gerry with a G was our guide. He was very entertaining and informative, with just the right mix of humor thrown in. We did have a small snafu at the end of the tour that prevented us from entering the crypt (the penultimate moment of the tour) which was the only thing preventing me from giving this 5 stars, but despite that slight shortcoming we still felt the tour was worth the money and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We went on this tour on a very wet Friday night at 9:00pm and I can honestly say it was well worth the price. We met Fred - our tour guide at St Giles on the Royal mile about 15 mins before the tour started and I have to say his enthusiasm was infectious.
We hardly noticed the rain, slippery cobble stones or muddy ground and puddles in the Kirkyard (sensible shoes a must). Hand on heart there were a few frights during the tour and I would recommend this particular tour as it ticks all the boxes both underground and outside.

1  Thank traveller313