All reviews continental breakfast no lift manor suite west end top floor friendly hotel small hotel quiet location city centre original features haymarket station princes street bit dated very pleasant stay minute walk full scottish breakfast first floor
Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

Hotel is correct, large room
For 3, not in the center but quiet area, breakfast correct with tree view.. welcoming could be REALLY better...
not at all a 4*.. old bathroom with impossible regulation between hot and cold water.. towels not changed ! They were put back WET from the tubebath on the shelves !!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 June 2018 via mobile

One nights stay as down to see a friend in her end of year drama show. Hotel close to venue of show in a lovely area close to city centre.

First impression was very old fashioned and dirty “loud” hall carpet. Climbed the 4 flights of stairs to get to our room. No lift. First impression looked ok, although looking at photos of hotel on this site I think we had a very small room. Small double bed with a solid mattress. Bathroom tiny and shower in much need of replacing. Disgusting. Curtains did not reach floor so sun streaming in the room at crack of dawn. Skirting boards were filthy. Paper peeling off wall.

Breakfast. Continental selection was very basic. Cooked breakfast was good but waitress did not get my order right. Sugar pourers were all choked with damp sugar and none of them worked.

Staff were strange and not very friendly and welcoming. Bar closed at 10.30 and we were told to leave the lounge! Won’t be recommending or returning

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2018

We are 70 year olds who have owned and operated a B & B for 15 years. We just checked into this hotel and they brought us to a 5th floor walkup (and these are TALL FLOORS). When we stated our displeasure they said nothing they can do. When we asked for a refund we were told no management is available till tomorrow. We are now waiting to hear something, anything to change the situation; we are basically sweating in a 5th floor attic instead of touring Edenburgh. Don't waste your money here!

Room Tip: don't...you don't get a choice
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Thistle H, Manager at Edinburgh Thistle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2018

Afternoon,
Thank you for your very interesting review.
The hotel has been here since the year of 1924 and has always had only 3x floor so I am unsure how you have managed to get to the 5th floor, as I am unaware we had more than 3.
Upon check in, you were advised what floor you were on, (3rd floor) and that we were unable to change the room as we were fully booked, and that we had no notes on your booking that you had requested a specific floor, as there is an option to do this at the time of booking. It is also stated on all booking channels that the hotel does not have an elevator due to it being a Georgian Townhouse.
I am unsure why you are sweating as all rooms have windows, and at this time of year all the central heating is off. The heat of the weather is completely outwith my control, however I am pleased that the weather is nice for you while visiting Scotland.
Slightly unsure as to why you are asking for a refund due to your age, as at the time of booking no online travel agent will ask what age the guest is, however if this is something you recommend for your travel agent to do, I would advise you to contact them directly.
I am also pleased that you are able to get out of the hotel today, to visit the sites, which is opposite to what your review states, and I hope you have a fantastic day visiting the sites of "Edinburgh + Scotland.
Our staff are always here to help and assist wherever humanly possible.
Kindest regards,
Hotel manager.

Reviewed 22 May 2018

I chose this hotel due to its location, as I was visiting a relative who lives nearby. I had asked for a quiet room, and my single room was indeed at the rear of the property overlooking attractive gardens. However, it proved to be pretty noisy due to other guests and staff talking loudly in the stairwell, and the noise of water gushing down a waste pipe in the corner of my room every time someone flushed the toilet, which they did at all hours of the day and night.
The description of in-room facilities was incorrect: there was no safe or hairdrier.
The continental breakfast was good, although both the tea and the coffee were barely drinkable, so best to tank up on tea in your room first!
The staff were pleasant, and took care of my passport for me when I finally convinced them that there really was no safe in my room.

Room Tip: I was in room 22b, which is apparently one of only 2 single rooms (the other one sounds worse)
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us.
I am sorry that you were disturbed with noise during your stay. If only you had mentioned this during your stay, as I am baffled as to how noise was able to carry to your room. I will certainly look into this further.
90% of rooms do have safety deposit boxes, however it is just unfortunate that your room did not, but I am glad we were able to assist and keep your passport safe during your stay.
All rooms are equipped with complimentary hairdryers, and when you made us aware that your room was missing one - obviously the previous guest needed it more than the hotel - we were more than happy to provide you with a replacement.
I am sorry to hear that you did not find our tea and coffee enjoyable. I understand everyone has their own tastes, however the overall comments we receive about our tea and coffee is exceptional, as it is a top tea & coffee merchant based in Edinburgh, who cater for venues all across the UK.
On behalf of myself and the team, I thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 12 May 2018

Very comfortable room, lovely Continental Breakfast, very friendly staff who always ready to help, convenient location...everything you need for a good and carefree holiday. Thank you so much for a nice time!

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends