Open today: 09:30 - 19:15
Review Highlights
Pleasant surroundings good food and service.

Good food and nice venue. Christmas menu is £16.95 for 2 courses. Food very good but quite pricey... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
kareensmith
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
via mobile
Bistro

My husband and I decided to have a very French brunch this morning (since I’m French and live in... read more

Reviewed 9 September 2018

from US$51,30
from US$16,10
from US$37,20
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 January 2018

I would surely not recommend this place. French arrogance as pure as one can get.

No real value in terms of culture or course; local universities provide a much better service if you're interested in learning French. There's nothing one can get here which can be provided elsewhere with a more welcoming atmosphere, e.g. Yakety Yak.

As for the price, expensive for what you get.

Date of experience: January 2018
1  Thank Sebastien B
IF E, Front Office Manager at Institut francais d'Ecosse, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2018

Dear sb733,
I am really sorry you had a bad experience in our classes. We really try to offer the most immersive and friendly atmosphere in our classes, events and building. Our team of French-native speakers, fully-qualified tutors do their best to provide professional and enjoyable classes.
We would be more than happy to see you back in our new premises for a chat so that we can see what went wrong for you.

Reviewed 14 August 2017

We went to book tickets for a play and stayed for a drink and some treats in the Bistro were helpful and friendly and the wine and food tasted good. The quiet garden at the back proved to be a great place to sit back and relax and enjoy the evening sunshine

Date of experience: August 2017
IF E, Public Relations Manager at Institut francais d'Ecosse, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2018

Very happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience at the Institut français last year. If you're in Edinburgh for the festival, please visit our new premises on West Parliament Square (at the top of the Royal Mile). The café is as cozy as ever!

Reviewed 24 August 2016

Had a voucher for a sharing platter and a bottle of wine. Both were excellent and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Too bad it is only open during the Edinburgh Fringe. Hope it is open again next year as I would like to return and try some of the cakes.

Date of experience: August 2016

Bonjour! We've moved and are now at the top of the Royal Mile (West Parliament Square). And we've got a bistrot open all year round now. Please visit for a glass of wine and stay for one of our Fringe shows!

Reviewed 27 August 2012

I went to the Institut to see a performance of Ma Biche et Mon Lapin in the basement as part of the Fringe and discovered Le Bistrot where I had lunch. As I was previously unaware of the existence of the Institut, let alone its authentic French cafe, this was a very pleasant surprise. At £13.95 for entree + plat (in my case an excellent salade parisienne and a slightly overcooked beouf bourguignon) this was very good value. Wine at £4.90 for a small (125ml) glass compared with about £14 for a full bottle does not encourage abstinence! Service was friendly and efficient.

The only downside is that the bistro only takes cash, no cards.

As for the academic or cultural work of the Institut I have no knowledge and cannot comment.

Date of experience: August 2012

Hi Bonetti, If you're still in Edinburgh, please pay the Institut a visit and check out the new bistrot, which is now open all year long. Admittedly, it still only takes cash, but they should have their card payment system operational soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

Unwelcoming staff, shabby building, spelling mistakes everywhere to be seen (IN FRENCH... and English). Altogether an unpleasant experience, do not bother !

Date of experience: April 2012
2  Thank gudrungoth

Hi Gudrungoth, I'm sorry that you had an unpleasant experience at the Institut's bistrot a few years ago. We've changed premises (now at the top of the Royal Mile) and updated the bistrot with a new look, management, and staff. I even believe their spelling has improved!

If you're still in Edinburgh, we'd love for you to give the Institut a second chance. Merci !