“Hike around the entire area, not just the Seat!”
Review of Arthur's Seat

and up
Harry Potter Tour Edinburgh
Ranked #1 of 449 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Arthur's Seat is one of four hill forts, dating from around 2,000 years ago. Situated within Holyrood Park, as well as it's rich cultural heritage, the park offers walks, solace, wildlife, volcanic geology and unparalleled vistas of the city from its many vantage points. The park has several Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) designations due to its exceptional range of grassland habitats and its internationally important volcanic geology. Ranger service on site.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have no idea why I thought this was a paved hill that was elderly-friendly. It's not. It's a giant, rocky, super steep trail. And there are lots of shoot offs, so it's easy to accidentally climb the wrong cliff. No idea how I got that so wrong, but that's my fault!

However, I highly recommend just wandering as I did across the different cliff trails - I actually liked the peaks around Arthur's Seat better than Arthur's Seat (when I finally got there). The Seat was crowded. But all of the peaks have amazing views of Edinburgh, so if you have time and good shoes (not the sandals I wore - again, jetlagged me thought this was a hill), wander around the back trails for different perspectives! We lucked out and got a clear day. If you're there when it's sunny, go up to the top immediately! The rain and clouds can move in at any minute, and the views on a clear day are such a treat.

Gorgeous and worth the hike. Not recommended for the mobility-limited, though it is possible to climb in sturdy sandals, apparently.

Write a ReviewReviews (17 512)
All reviews
"royal mile"
in 400 reviews

163 - 167 of 17 514 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was quite the hike. My friends and I did not know what to expect and decided tot do this on a whim....luckily we were dressed appropriately, we had sneakers and workout clothes on. It was part hike with a little rock climbing thrown in. We had to take a break a couple of times as the climb was harder than it looked. Well worth it though. Once you get to the top you have panoramic views of the city and it is breathtaking.

1  Thank corb2430
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It rained the day before and this day was a bit cold. It was even colder once we started our climb. We weren't the most properly dressed, but we made up high enough to see a spectacular view of the Edinburgh skyline. We could see the castle and the water. We were fairly cold after 15 minutes of taking pictures, but it was all worth it to me.

1  Thank melaidac2018
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The climb requires some energy and determination, but it's manageable for anyone in moderately good shape. The weather was good the day we were there. As an amateur photographer, I was in heaven. There was something amazing around every bend of the path. The climb and descent took about two hours. Someone in a hurry could manage it faster, but it was definitely worthwhile to slow down the pace a bit in order to take it all in.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

There are a few access trails to the peak of Arthur's seat, an old defunct volcano with lush greenery and rugged slopes. We obtained a map at the visitor center outside Holyrood palace, but never located trail markers, so weren't sure which trail we were on. No matter, since the hike is all open space, and there are plenty of fellow hikers all going the same direction. Plan at least 2 hours, plus extra time at the peak for a picnic and photo ops. Expect strong winds and if rainy, it will be very slippery!