Reviews (3 367)
1 548
1 156
1 548
1 156
All reviews dynamic earth royal mile scottish parliament parliament building arthur's seat lovely hotel spa treatments sauna and steam room good size cooked breakfast per night executive room leisure facilities booked this hotel enjoyable stay weekend break lovely room
28 - 33 of 3 367 reviews
Reviewed 9 September 2018

The hotel is in a peaceful part of Edinburgh, but close enough to be able to walk to everything. This wasn’t the problem, the problems started when we were greeted by a very abrupt receptionist who wanted to make sure we knew we had to pay for car parking, again not an issue but there really was no need to rude. At first I thought I’d imagined it but we were at reception the next day and he was as equally rude to a gent at reception over the same thing.

Upon our arrival we were given a complimentary room upgrade so off we went to our room to drop our bags off and head off to the city. Upon return I went to wash my hands but as the top of the taps that tell you which is hot or cold were missing I had to hope I chose the correct one!

The next morning I had a lovely shower but imagine my surprise when the only way you could turn it off was to turn the control to ‘bath’, shame it was a walk-in shower and there wasn’t a bath in sight!

After returning from a lovely day walking a very wet but beautiful Edinburgh we went back to our hotel room to dry off etc and decided to try to use the three blinds at the windows, simple enough, just a shame there was only two blinds and the empty fittings for the third!

Apologies if this comes across as picky but it’s really not meant to be, it’s just not what you’d expect from a four star hotel. Would we return to this hotel, without a doubt because but for these minor things and one rude receptionist it’s one of the nicest and friendliest hotels we’ve ever stayed in.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Andrew B, Front Office Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Ebirty,

Many thanks for your review, we really appreciate your honest feedback.

I am delighted that you were pleased with the location of hotel and that you had been given a complimentary upgrade on arrival.

Your comments regarding the issues in the room have been passed on to our Maintenance Manager, we will ensure these are addressed straight away. I do apologise, this is certainly not our usual standard. I will also make sure to discuss your comments with the receptionist.

I am so pleased that you found the team to be so friendly and that you would return to the Holyrood Hotel. I do wish that I have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Teri Webster

Reviewed 7 September 2018

What a surprise and what a treat.

On our first night in Edinburgh we stayed at the Radisson Blu on the Royal Mile. The hotel is very nice but the street outside is very very busy. We thought about staying our other nights there but the price went up over $100 per night so we decided to find another place. We found Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

We walked in around 9:00 am...we didn't think they would have a room so we stored our bags and headed out for sightseeing for the day. We had beautiful weather and returned around 5:00 pm. Not only was our room ready - they had delivered our bags to the room.

We had a king bed - Classic room. The chairs and bed cover were red tartan...very Scottish. The glasses - crystal. Bottled water was complimentary. There is a restaurant and bar downstairs but also a tesso - food/grocery store with wine and beer a half block away...which we took advantage of. The hotel is located towards the end of Holyrood off the Royal Mile. It was much quieter.....if you don't want to walk this may not be your place but we loved it.

Discovery Earth is across the street as are the Hop-on Hop off busses. We chose the Green Bus.....it goes around the city and drops you by the castle. PS......our narrator was terrific...he told is to buy castle tickets from the driver...then walk through the first Gateway to the castle on the left side - skip the line because that is not the entrance to the castle it is in the next Block House up the incline. We literally with hundreds of people walked right in !!!

There is a Swedish restaurant and a Pizza Express right next door to the hotel so you don't have to eat in the restaurant if you don't want to.

The room was immaculate - the bathroom spotless the amenities fine........smelled fantastic.

When you look at the pictures - it seems a bit plain and it is. It isn't over the top luxury but the woodwork and the tartan colors....you feel like you are in Scotland. It was (is) a wonderful property.

Is there a caveat - yes......tour groups. While we were there - busloads of tour groups were staying in the hotel...but guess what - they stay all over Edinburgh. It didn't bother us and it was quiet at night...what more can you ask for.

Wonderful property.......and to think in Edinburgh it was less than $150 a night....unheard of !!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: We had a great room with a view of Arthur's Seat
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Andrew B, Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2018

Thank you so much for your recent feedback and I am delighted to read you had a great time with us.

I am pleased you were surprised and we were able to show you a better time than one of our fellow Colleagues. Our location does lead to a very quiet night as we are far enough away from the heart of the city but still near enough to all the main attractions Edinburgh has to offer.

I am glad you liked the Scottish twist in the rooms and you found the room spacious clean and fresh. Although as you say we are not over the top we do provide everything you need to have a relaxing stay.

As you witnessed we do accommodate tours within the Holyrood but as you say they do not get in the way and I am pleased you were not disturbed by them.

I hope we get to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

We checked in On 31/8/18- 3/9/18. From day one there were issues- we had to ask for basic stuff like body lotion, mineral water bottles, shower cap etc. On our last day(3/9/18) apparently the hotel had no hot water - when I called the reception I was informed that the boiler has broken down. The staff didn't even have any courtesy to let us know. I was asked to wait for 45 minutes but still -there was no sign of hot water. To my astonishment it was already 9.30am- we got dressed and rushed to have our breakfast. There was a massive queue - the staff were struggling! Anyways, after breakfast my husband complained to Michael(manager) and he said, "He will pay us back 10% of £834 but unfortunately he can't do it now because we've booked through Expedia! He then said, "He will personally get in touch with Expedia and make sure we get back the 10% from the bill. Michael also promised to sent me a confirmation by an email ( within an hour)- which to my dismay I am still waiting ! We reached London after 9 hours! Next day my son called the hotel and they refused to honour the agreement! Have no clue where Michael has disappeared with his promising words! It's better to stay in Travelodge where you can atleast get basic facilities! What a nightmare!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank sraichura
Andrew B, Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback on your recent stay with us and I am disappointed to read your comments and I can assure you I will be addressing the shortfalls you experienced as a matter of urgency.

The lack of amenities in the bedroom is not acceptable as all our rooms should be set and ready for all our guests and you should not be having to ask for certain items and for this I can only apologise.

In relation to the hot water, unfortunately on the day we had issues with our boiler which was out of the teams control and we did our very best to get this resolved as quickly as we could. Due to the issues with the hot water we were experiencing unfortunately it was the same for our other guests and this lead to the rush at breakfast and again the breakfast team did what they could to cope with the demand and serve everyone as quickly and efficiently as possible.

With regards the compensation I will be sure to follow this up resolve the situation. I can only apologise for the way this has been handled and I can assure you this will be addressed.

Thank you again for your honest feedback

Reviewed 5 September 2018

I have stayed in this hotel many times before and always enjoy the great location whether travelling on business or leisure.

This time was for work and possibly because I checked in very late in the evening I was allocated a room on the suite floor 6 (special lift access required). Very secure.

The room was spacious and with views to Dynamic Earth from a small balcony with a few chairs.

Although there was no bath, the shower was large and the bathroom amenities first class courtesy of Elemis.

Breakfast was fine although I would have enjoyed a larger choice of hot items. No haggis, has brown, etc which feature in many hotel buffets these days. Speciality eggs cost an extra three pounds a shot which I thought was a bit mean? I wish restaurants would stop doing this. Once you have paid for breakfast that should be it.

I managed a quick swim before breakfast and the Spa is spotlessly clean and well run. Steam room and sauna were at the correct temperatures.

All in all a great stay but please upgrade the full breakfast and make it ALL inclusive.

Room Tip: try to have a room on floor 6 with a balcony
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your recent feedback and I am delighted you had a great time with us again and I appreciate you taking the time to feedback on your most recent visit.

I am pleased you liked the room on the 6th floor and you found it to be spacious and the views from there are fantastic.

Thank you for your feedback in relation to breakfast choice and I will be sure to forward this onto the team as all items should be available.

Our pool is s good size for a city centre property and along with out state of the art gym and also treatment area it makes for a great place to chill and relax for an afternoon.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

My partner and i visited the Hotel for a 2 night stay and we were blown away .

The hospitality from the staff was second to none. From arriving we were treated by the friendliest staff i have ever known at a hotel . I have stayed at every 5 star hotel in Edinburgh and thus was the best .

For food Restaraunt Delux by Paul Tamburrini is a must. The food was exquisite and Peter the host and all the star were incredible. Our weekends stay was perfect . We will definately be back to Holyrood Hotel .

A huge thank you to Andrew and all his staff .

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Andrew B, Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2018

Dear Brian,

Thank you so much for your recent feedback and I am delighted you had a great time with us.

The team at the Holyrood really do strive to exceed our guests expectations and I am please you experienced this during your stay, from the first impression to the last.

Paul and his team produce amazing cuisine in the restaurant and I am glad you had a chance to sample this along with the amazing front of house service from Peter and his team and I will be sure to pass on your comments.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and to be rated the best in Edinburgh in your opinion is amazing.

It was a pleasure looking after you and I am glad we were able to help make your weekend a perfect one.

See you again soon