“some glaring faux pas but otherwise "okay"”
Review of Ondine

Ondine
Ranked #363 of 2 777 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 28 June 2018

problems:
1. can't cook risotto.
2. no fish knives. in a fish restaurant. just long thin knives. very odd.
3. got charged for 2 bottles of wine when I should have been charged for 2 glasses of wine. caught it and it was recorded, to be fair. but really... ?

Pluses:
lovely environment.
other than the risotto, lovely quality.
would return (but will be vigilant!).

1  Thank jggrant2016
Write a ReviewReviews (1 688)

51 - 55 of 1 688 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Our family of 6 celebrated my husbands 60th birthday here. We were promptly ushered to a well situated round table. We were served an excellent bottle of champagne as a surprise gift from close friends. After this wonderful welcome we waited quite a while for our server to even greet us. He was very aloof - not quite surly- but close to it. He seemed harried and was inattentive. We ordered the oysters, sea bream, mussels, sole, fish and chips and dressed crab. The food was excellent with the exception of my daughters sea bream which was filled with cilantro (she quite dislikes cilantro and it was not listed as an ingredient on the menu.). We tried to locate our server multiple times during the dinner for either refill of drinks or water but had no luck finding him. In spite of the service, we didn’t let it spoil our evening. I would recommend the restaurant - hopefully, the server was just having a bad night when we went.

food was del

1  Thank fourkidsNyc
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Thankfully, although we did not have a reservation for dinner, they were able to serve us at the bar!! The food and service were excellent!!

I need to eat gluten free and they were easily able to accommodate me! They even brought me my own gluten free bread which I appreciated!

We started out with the Beetroot and Goat’s Curd Salad. It was better than we expected or imagined!!

My husband and I both ordered the Lemon Sole Meunière (mine was gluten-free) and my daughter ordered the cod with parsley mash, leeks and cockles and we shared sides of buttered parsley potatoes and spinach. Everything was excellent!

If you’re a seafood foodie, I highly recommend Ondine!

1  Thank Terri L
Reviewed 25 June 2018

A double celebration lunch today. My son’s special birthday and our wedding anniversary.
My first visit here and was most impressed. Staff very professional and polite.
Everything about this meal was first class. The main of plaice was delicious.
I finished with a wee rum and raisin ice cream with a Sherry on the side.
Thank you Ondine. Very reasonable priced also.

Reviewed 22 June 2018

Great location and really nice atmosphere in Edinburgh old town, food was excellent, my party had oysters, dressed crab, calamari starters, all excellent. Main courses of lemon sole, whole crab, lobster again were delicious and generous portions, would recommend.