“Is tapas accurate?”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We were so looking forward to Mother India's after a lovely few days eating seafood and traditional Scottish fare. Indian food is a big favorite of ours back home. While the food was tasty and arrived piping hot, it wasn't a superlative meal. It was good and the service was solicitous. The "pitta bread" was fantastic! I loved it! The Wednesday special kebab was a bit of a disappointment and the chicken tikka was yummy and generous. The basmati rice portion was the only dish that said "tapas" portion-wise as it seemed skimpy. The other dishes were plentiful and the suggested 3-4 dishes per couple was too much food. I don't know if tapas or small plates are misnomers, but these are just slightly under the usual sizes of dishes back home.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 985)

39 - 43 of 1 985 reviews

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Stopped by for a quick solo lunch and thoroughly enjoyed it.
The tapas style of dining was different to the usual Indian dine in restaurants, and meant that I was able to try a couple of different dishes. I tried the spiced haddock and minced filled chickpea flour pancakes. The spiced haddock was missing the spicy kick I’d expected, but was nevertheless very delicious and the pancakes were spot on.

I’m rating them 4 starts because their service isn’t the best and has room for improvement ( I wasn’t offered a refill for my drink and they were generally slow).

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Our second time here. Shared five dishes: lentils, minced lamb, okra and tomatoes, chicken with fenugreek and spices, and chili prawns. All with the right amount of spices and heat. Subtle and not overdone. Perfect with nan and pilau.

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

Having lunch or dinner there became our family tradition every time we visit Edinburgh to see my daughter. Amazing food and great service. Chili garlic chicken and chili fish cakes are my absolute favorites!

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

I love this place and keep coming back.

Initially when I heard it was tapas style I didn’t fancy it but the portions are huge and reasonably priced.

It’s always busy, quite loud and has a great vibe. Book a table downstairs, it’s better.

Staff could be a bit friendlier, however.