“Dissapointed”

Kyloe Restaurant at Rutland Hotel
Ranked #226 of 2 641 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Scottish, Contemporary
Good for: View, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: .
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Four of us were in Edinburgh for the Easter break so as a treat my friend booked Kyloe for our Sunday lunch. The place is very nice and the staff were lovely. It’s a shame the food was dissapointing. The beef,vegetables and sauces were very tasty but unfortunately stone cold,we even asked for more hot gravy in hope it would heat things up but that came only just warm. We should have complained straight away but felt awful as our friend had made the booking but in the end she was the one who complained. They did knock 20% of the bill but we would have preferred a lovely lunch.

Craig S, Manager at Kyloe Restaurant at Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Bramberling,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Kyloe Sunday Roast.

I was very disappointed to read that while you appreciated the setting and the staff, the food was not up to standard on this occasion.

Your feedback has been passed onto our Senior Management and Kitchen Team but if you would wish to discuss your dining experience further, then please contact me directly at craig.strong@therutlandhotel.com

Assistant Restaurant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1 800)

7 - 11 of 1 800 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I am a frequent traveller and reviewer on Tripadvisor and love to cook and eat out. My partner loves meat, particularly steak, so I was pleased to find Kyloe online and booked one of the last remaining tables for the Bank Holiday weekend. I was particularly drawn by the online pictures of the smart dining room and descriptions of their rare breed meats and was expecting an off chain version of Cau or M, however the reality could not have been further from the truth.

You enter the restaurant via a downstairs bar and it was indeed packed. We declined starters in favour of waiting for our mains but did order drinks which we had to chase 3 times and eventually they came out after our meal. Decent warm bread and some hummus was served while we waited though I'd say to was more like babbagnoush than hummus and wasn't really very nice. And so to the meal itself.

Having been attracted by their rare breed and special meat we were disappointed to learn two of the three specials were sold out as were one of the add on options ribs. Also the specials when available are only available in set weights and a single choice cut, flat iron for one and bavette for another, I cannot recall the third. It seemed odd for them to have sold out of so much stock so early on a Saturday night ( 5.45 pm) especially on a holiday weekend.

All steaks are priced as a single item, meaning they come with no sides. We chose crayfish mac and cheese, courgette fritters, spinach and onion rings with two of our favourite steak cuts a sirloin and a fillet. We also ordered an add on of garlic prawns and a blue cheese and red wine sauce. The food was luke warm, the meat lacked char or seasoning (I actually put salt on my main at the table - practically unheard of for me) and we had to request condiments twice. I tried one of the prawns but it really wasn't to my taste and shamefully I ended up spitting it into my napkin with a feeling it may actually have been off. The best part of the meal was the onion rings

Staff came to check on us it was quite awkward as the best I could say was 'Yes it's ok', because they were busy and pleasant enough but the meal was actually really poor. I'd liken it more to the Miller and Carter chain, which if you read that review will know this isn't a good thing and my last thought was if the restaurant had been in London or Manchester it would struggle to survive.

I cannot recommend Kyloe but if you do want a very good steak with very little difference in price but enormous difference in experience and taste head to Gaucho's on St Andrews Square, which is what we did the very next day.

Dear cconta,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of Kyloe Restaurant & Grill.

I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your meal when dining with us. I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further.

If you would be so kind as to contact me directly at the below email address, I would be very thankful.

craig.strong@therutlandhotel.com

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Had a Sunday Roast Lunch here recently with a group of friends. Had been before.
This time the roast itself seemed to be of an inferior quality to a previous visit or perhaps it was just a poor cut of beef.
Service, apart from one waiter, was poor. The waitress brought us cold plates for our roast. When I queried this with her, she did eventually get hot plates - but why did she not notice this in advance? Poor staff training?
So with the delay in getting hot plates, food was not as hot as it should have been

Dear Douglas19Ed,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of the Kyloe Sunday Roast.

At Kyloe, we pride ourselves on our Sunday Roast offering and high standard of service, and it would appear we have fallen short of our own high standards on this occasion.

Your feedback has been passed onto our Senior Management and Kitchen Team for review, but I would very much appreciate if you could contact me directly so I can investigate this further; craig.strong@therutlandhotel.com

We highly value the feedback provided by our guests as it allows us to tailor trainings to ensure that we are maintaining our standards and continuously developing our product offering.

I hope to hear from you.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Excellent service from the start! Our waitress, Katie, was extremely knowledgeable and we were highly impressed when she brought a tray with examples of the cuts of meat available and explained in great detail everything about them! Bread and a roasted vegetable and garlic dip were given to us while we waited for our order, wines were served perfectly, our main courses were faultless, even the expresso was perfect and, quite honestly, overall, this experience was good value for money. Must commend most highly. Well worth a visit.

Dear Norman M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your five-star review of Kyloe Restaurant & Grill.

I am delighted that you were impressed with Katie's knowledge and level of service and I will be sure to pass your wonderful comments onto her.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your dining experience and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I went for the early evening meal 4-6pm, and wasn’t over enthralled by the choice, so tried a ‘cut salad’, 7oz sirloin with chips and whiskey peppercorn sauce and to finish a blood orange cheesecake.

However as the food rolled out I was taken back how good this was. The cut salad looked dainty but yet hearty. It was delicious. Then the steak came, whilst small it was beautifully cooked, well seasoned. The chips were divine! Now i was bowled over how good it was. Now when the dessert came I was flabbergasted, in a good way. This was no ordinary cheese cake. It was deconstructed in a brilliant way, the jellied blood orange was exceptional with the cheese and the dried crisp slice of orange was quite something. It was so nice I could have eaten the lot twice, but three corses were perfectly enough.

The service was sharp, quick and professional. and guess how much? £23

BARGAIN

I am planning on going again next week.

Now if they allowed me to upgrade the steak to something larger for a extra £5-10 that would be perfect.

i’ll ask next time

Great memorable meal, pleasantly surprised that it can be great value too!

absolute Gem!

Thanks for a great meal.

Rachael L, Manager at Kyloe Restaurant at Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Gem,

Firstly I'd like to thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review.

We pride ourselves here at Kyloe on the quality of food on offer and the professional service we provide and it's fantastic to hear that these two factors shone through in your most recent visit to Kyloe

On your next visit please mention to your server if you wish to supplement your steak choice and the manager on shift will be able to tell you what additional cost you will be required to pay for each cut.

Look forward to seeing you soon,

Kindest Regards,