“Won't be going back!!”

Price range: US$7 - US$26
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of trendy Leith, The Granary offers the perfect mix of hearty food, quality drinks and live entertainment. The Granary's atmosphere is warm and welcoming. Colourful rugs soften its wooden floors, whilst replica barn doors and old-fashioned kitchen utensils add an interesting twist. Boasting both charm and comfort, this space is ideal for mingling with friends, intimate dinners or private celebrations. Customers can enjoy live music every Wednesday to Saturday night in a relaxed atmosphere. A large mezzanine level and ground floor dining room divide the space into two stylish but homely compartments. As for the menu, the Granary's signature dish, the classic Chicken Balmoral, is certainly not one to look past. Although Scottish inspired, the menu moves far beyond just traditional meals. Desserts of particular note are the Cheesecake of the day and the Equis Scottish tablet ice cream. Free wifi is also available, ideal for those working lunch breaks or a simple nosey on Facebook. Numerous bus routes run directly from the Granary to the city centre, this making transport a breeze. Ample free on street parking is also available.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

An hour after placing our order and speaking with staff we walked out. On paying for our drinks very courteous staff apologised and said we weren't the first to walk out today after waiting ages for good to arrive. Very disappointed. Live locally - will be sticking to out usual haunts!!

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Very popular bar near the Water of Leith, good buzz in the evenings. Went for drinks, average prices for the area.

Reviewed 22 June 2018

We had an evening meal here during our recent visit to Scotland and sorry to say, we cannot recommend it. We both had their so called "SIGNATURE BATTERED FISH & CHIPS In Our Crispy Batter with Chunky Chips, Tartare Sauce, Mushy Peas" but were very disappointed - The fish itself was OK but the batter itself was excessive and to say it was crispy was an understatement, it was so crispy it shattered when cutting. The chips were hard, dry and tasteless, and were far from "chunky" - they were more like oven chips than fresh cut deep fried potato chips.
Whilst the waiter was friendly enough, he needs to understand a bit of etiquette - I was just about to reach for the vinegar bottle that was on our table when he came up and, without any word at all, just took it from our table and took it to another table. I called him back and said that I was about to use it and that he should have asked first, he said he would go and get another one but when he returned some time later he just retrieved the original bottle from that other table so one can only assume that it was the only bottle of vinegar the restaurant had !
Better to pay a bit more and have the same at the 'King's Wark' just across the road.

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

I ordered the fish and chips and although it took ages to arrive the bar was busy so it was understandable. Unfortunately the fish was overcooked and the batter looked as though a flamethrower had been taken to it! The few chips I received were lukewarm and soggy as they had obviously been left lying on the greasy plate for a long time.

I can't remember the last time I sent food back but I did on this occasion as it was inedible. The waitress was extremely pleasant and apologetic and quickly replaced it. The chips were at least hot the second time round but the batter on the fish was still overcooked and I had to leave half of it. The fish was also tiny and definitely not worth the £11.95 I was charged.

There are many other bars and restaurants nearby to choose from and I doubt I'll return here in the future.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

We visited this restaurant last night for dinner. The food was okay, nothing special and could have been warmer. The waitress was lovely. However two members of staff were washing cutlery and drying it at a table across from us. It did not look very hygienic and has put me off eating here again. This should be done in the kitchen and not in the dining area.