Reviews (5 235)
2 950
1 768
2 950
1 768
All reviews elemis products jelly beans train station walk in shower sauna and steam room rubber duck end of princes street superior room calton hill royal mile excellent location lovely hotel spa facilities hotel bar large bathroom central location city break
24 - 29 of 5 235 reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I have stayed at the Apex Grassmarket in Edinburgh several times and decided to stay at this Apex due to location.
The room was very nice but poorly serviced across our 3 night stay with nespresso pods not replenished, Elemis products inconsistently replenished amongst other items like still water.
Food ordered post the Kiltwalk via room service was luke warm - no doubt due to the flight of stairs required after the lift to get to the room.
The daiquiri was undrinkable and when a bottle of wine was ordered, a glass arrived instead.
But the worst thing by far is the entire breakfast experience.
Our 1st breakfast was fine - maitre d' was welcoming & efficient and there was a nice atmosphere to start your day.
2nd morning - most complementary thing I can say is it was perfunctory. Clinical, tense atmosphere and certainly not made to feel you could enjoy your breakfast at your pace. Hot food coming out as people enjoyed cereal, dirty plates not removed and not a nice way to start the day.
Our last morning - 10 mins wait to get seated, table not set, table & seats wet from being wiped down and not dried, menus stuck to the table as result & my husband left standing as seat couldn't be sat on. Were given alternative table, our tea then sat for 15 mins on wrong table so had to reorder.
We ordered hot food - I requested the Bacon Roll which on the menu says "crispy bacon". What turns up is uncrispy smoked streaky bacon (not stated on menu) so I asked for crispy unsmoked bacon. What comes out is barely cooked unsmoked bacon! When I say it's still not crispy, waiter goes away and comes back with a plate with smoked & unsmoked rashers both undercooked and says 'that's how it comes'....
No - bacon is cooked to crispy or not. It doesn't come off the pig pre-cooked!
So we walk away with my husband having had a glass of juice and 4 mouthfuls of his breakfast & all I've had is glass of water.
I complain to the staff member who is seating people, who then disappears and brings over presumably the restaurant manager who clearly couldn't give a crap!
Massively disappointing stay & even more upsetting when you're husband is on palliative chemo, you are trying to live in the moment and enjoy all time you have in one of our most favourite cities in the world and your husband has paid for higher grade of room for a "treat".
If we do return to Edinburgh (we've been coming here regularly since 1999) we won't be staying here - the need for repeated calls or visits to the desk to obtain the things that have been overlooked by housekeeping, the stressful/non-existent breakfast & general lack of customer care has tainted the weekend.
Apex Waterloo Place - Never again!!!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our vacation was going to be split with Edinburgh for the first four nights and then on to London. While researching the hotels here on TripAdvisor daily, I noticed pretty consistent positive reviews for the Apex Waterloo Place. We were very happy with our choice and the rate here. I booked online with their website and also selected a rate that included breakfast and a room upgrade (if there was an upgrade available. Got to read the fine print). Due to our overnight flight and arriving at the Apex Waterloo around 7:45am, we knew there would not be a room ready yet, but wanted to check in and drop our luggage. As others have mentioned their staff is wonderful! At check in I also requested a room away from the construction (read that through the reviews) and was told it would take longer for that room to be ready. We said we were fine with that. When we came back around noon our room was ready and it was one facing the street. I don't know what they do for sound proofing, but we never heard street noise and slept each night very well. Beds are a soft to medium in firmness. The room and bathroom are both a great size. I was very happy with the counter space for placing my toiletries and even though we did not use the tub (only the shower), it is a very large bathtub for people who love baths! We found the elevators quick, which isn't always the case. There was also a small fridge to use and they provided a few waters daily. I was a bit worried after I booked when I started reading about many tour companies book here and that breakfast could be really busy. Fortunately for us I guess we slept later because we would go down for breakfast around 9am and the most we had to wait for a table was maybe 2-3 minutes. If you only do continental breakfast you may or may not be happy. We paid an additional 4#'s per person per morning for eating off of the menu. Well worth it too! The continental portion had some deli meats, maybe one or two cheese choices, breads, a few cereals, yogurt, whole fruit (banana, apples, kiwis) or sliced fruit (looked like canned peaches?, watermelon, and maybe pinapple. For us, we like to have some eggs for the protein. We did not have lunch or dinner here, but every evening when we would come back, the dining area sounded busy. There is also a little sitting area on the other side of guest desk where you can buy drinks and relax if you want to. We never visited the swimming pool or spa so I can not comment on those areas.

We had Uber come and get us for a few dinners that were a ways down the road. During those drives I would see some of the other hotels that I was debating between and strongly feel that the Apex was in a very central spot to the majority of sight seeing activities, bus pickups, and restaurants. We would stay here again and would also recommend the Apex Waterloo Place Hotel to stay at. I wish I could remember the staff names that helped us with different things, but sadly I didn't write them down. But thank you all for such a great stay and all of your help!! Edinburgh is a wonderful city with wonderful and helpful residents who really seem to love Edinburgh!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from construction.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lovetolearn
Alan H, General Manager at Apex Waterloo Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear lovetolearn,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us here at Apex Waterloo Place. I was truly pleased to read your review and see that we lived up to your expectation. It was especially pleasing to read that you found our team wonderful and helpful, I will of course be sharing your lovely feedback with them all.

I do hope we get to welcome you again should you find yourself visiting our much loved city.

Kindest regards
Alan

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We have been in this hotel for 4 days and 3 night.
The position of the hotel is amazing because:
- it’s close to the main train station
- it’s close to the Center
- the last stop for the tour around the city and outside are very close if not in front of the hotel .

Since day one we had some issues with the hotel service, we order a bottle of wine in the room, and one of the wine glasses was dirty, we had to call the reception to replace it.
The day after the bottle was still half full, they took the wine glasses and they didn’t replace them with a new one, so we had to call the reception to have some.
There weren’t any toothbrush in the bathroom we had to ask to get them.
For a 4 star hotel the service is not great.

Rooms are acceptable and clean.

The restaurant is very small but the atmosphere is nice, the service is very slow, even when is clearly not so busy.

The Spa is minimal, the swimming pool is very very small, there aren’t any sun-bed to relax just chair..I wouldn’t go in that hotel for the Spa.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Memuz I
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Other reviews have praised the good qualities of the hotel and most comments that I can make would be unnecessarily redundant. However, there is one aspect of our stay that I want to share. We were thoroughly impressed with all of the front desk staff. Every person was exceedingly friendly and helpful, greeting us warmly every time we passed by. For instance, I had a mystifying problem with my phone refusing to connect to the WI-Fi. They were unable to intermediately find out why, so several people worked on the problem during the day and had a solution when we returned in the evening. The concierge desk went way beyond necessary to assist us, adding greatly to the success of our stay in Edinburgh. All this individual attention came during Festival time when they were at their busiest.

Room Tip: The street level registration desk is actually on the 5th floor since the rear of the hotel is at the foot of a hill.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2018

The location is fantastic! Right by Waterloo Station, near all the sites, easy walk to the Castle, Royal Mile, and all the restaurants and shopping on George Street. Yet just far enough away from all the action, so that even during the Festival when I was there,it was quiet. I stayed for 10 nights because of the location and reasonable price. Service at the bar and restaurant is friendly and excellent! The concierge was the best ever, especially in the evening. She took the time to offer excellent recommendations and tips. She was even able to get me tickets to the coveted Military Tattoo during the Festival. The check-in staff get a mixed review. Some were friendly and helpful and others not so much....a bit more customer service training could help. The rooms are small but well appointed. I was a bit disappointed about the view...which was of another building, but otherwise I found the Apex to be a very good hotel.

Room Tip: Go for upper floor rooms. Request five and up. The lower floors are claustrophobic because you go down for most of them.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Alan H, General Manager at Apex Waterloo Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2018

Dear 714Isabella,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review of your recent stay at Waterloo Place. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your time with us and that you found our central location met your needs during the festival. I was slightly disappointed to read that you found a reception team inconsistent in their service, I will of course be sharing your feedback with them.

I was however very happy to see that both the concierge and bar team provided the great service that is synonymous with Apex hotels. I do hope we get to welcome you again should you find yourself in our city.

Kindest regards