“Disappointing ”

Ranked #1 324 of 2 754 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Neighbourhood: New Town
Neighbourhood: New Town
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Drinks are overpriced - £5+ a pint is steep especially somewhere that isn’t all that special.
Food was very average - absolutely nothing to write home about and they brought my burger with an empty bowl for chips. I’d have guessed the waiter might have wondered why my friends chip bowls were full and mine was empty but I had to point that out and I’d finished my burger by the time they arrived.
Miles better places in central Edinburgh so I don’t know why you’d bother spending your hard earned money here.

1  Thank Barney1984
Danny R, General Manager at Hanover Tap, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Hello Barney,

Thank you for leaving a review on your recent visit to the pub.

Please accept my apologies for the incident with your chips. It something that should’ve been picked up on by the kitchen and then also, as you correctly stated, by the team member bringing the food to your table. I’ve spoken with all those involved and reiterated that food should be going out to spec and checked before leaving the pass.

Prices for a pint range from well under £4 to over £5 depending on the product. Some of the craft beers from local breweries are over £5 due to their high cost price. To make these beers accessible to all guests we offer a range of measures so that, if the price of a pint is too high, the guest can order 2/3rd of a pint, a half pint or even a 1/3rd of a pint. This allows the guerst to have some great beer at a price that suits their wallet.

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

Asked staff whether we could take a table whose reservation ended an hour and a half ago. Was told no problem, our policy is 15 mins.

Manager comes over some time later demanding that we “move now” as the table is booked. Tells us that it’s not his problem if his staff are “f&?king idiots” and gave us the wrong info, but it’s not his problem. Eventually after 10 minutes of discussion (the word sorry or please was never uttered once) we asked for a full refund of our round and left.

Where did good customer service go, and what manager speaks to customers about their staff like that?

3  Thank Ley L
Reviewed 18 May 2018

Guy behind the bar was nice but under 5s aren't allowed so we couldn't stay. I've been there when it was the Jekyll and Hyde pub and wanted to take my husband back but with a 4 year old we had to leave!

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

The bar it’s self is a delight. Great looking on interior and lots of table space. Me and my girlfriend came down for some drinks over the weekend and invited some of our friends along to join us. Which they loved the place as well. Was a great night as there was football on for me to watch they even had a massive screen and the amazing drinks offers for my other half. Which included £15 bottle of Prosecco or £3.95 cocktails. Absolutely loved the entire evening, the team that was working were excellent even with it being busy. Definitely will be back for

Reviewed 11 April 2018 via mobile

Went for dinner with a group of friends. Took an hour before we could order because staff neglected to mention several dishes were out of stock, there was no menu with non-alcoholic drinks, drinks had to be ordered at the bar which makes no sense, the food took half an hour to arrive, I didn’t get my food until another 20 minutes later, my friend didn’t get her extra fries until she was already done eating, several pizza’s and hamburgers arrived half burnt, and my fish-and-chips was chewy and had no flavour to it. Staff didn’t apologize for the lateness and one member of the serving staff was unaware that we were with a group spread between four tables. The radio was abnormally loud, and halfway through our dinner the audio commentary for the soccer match on tv was turned on and the volume was not turned down which made it peak in such a way that it hurt my ears even after I put in my noise-cancelling earphones. I will not be coming back here again