“Shopping”
Review of Garden Wise

Garden Wise
Ranked #75 of 152 Restaurants in Dumfries
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

This a reliably good garden centre and cafe. We seldom go beyond the fruit scones which are always fresh though perhaps a little sweet. The conservatory is our favourite spot where we can watch the birds at the new feeder. Good selection of gardening products and good advice on tap regarding these or the many plants on offer. This garden centre has a high reputation to maintain and perhaps minor changes could improve the customer experience even further. The conservatory chairs are comfortable however the tables are at knee height which makes for uncomfortable sitting and eating
(The main dinery has regular height tables and chairs). There is an Electric Vehicle charging point which is so forward thinking, however it is a slow charger and not a Chademo which would fully charge your car whilst having a meal or wandering the garden centre. Being bird watchers, I wondered why the new bird table didn't have peanuts for the woodpeckers that certainly used to call there regularly. Don't let these minor points put visiting there off - it's the best garden centre for miles!

1  Thank Margaret W

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Enjoyed a scone and cup of tea in the cafe which has a quiet ambiance. Then enjoyed a stroll around the center, buying some locally produced honey.

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

I asked if the macaroni was available and the girl explained the difference between the Light Bite macaroni and the main meal macaroni. So far so good. I didn’t want a main meal sized portion so I specifically asked if I could have the Light Bite with salad instead of crusty bread. The girl said that was fine. At the till I was going to be charged for the main meal price. I explained to the till woman that the server had agreed the Light Bite portion with salad. The till woman referred back to the server who blatantly lied and denied what she had previously agreed. Both of them proceeded to argue with me in front of a very long queue. Needless to say I wasn’t paying a meal price for a Light Bite sized portion. I told them to keep it and I chose something else. It would have been adequate service if the server had admitted she was wrong and the till woman should have said that she would put it through as a Light Bite. The moral of this very long story is not to deviate from the specific menu as it is beyond their capabilities and check that you don’t get charged for a main meal if you order a Light Bite. On a positive note Janis is an extremely pleasant and friendly staff member. The others could learn some lessons from her.

2  Thank Ashley S
Reviewed 2 February 2018

Called in for a late morning coffee and lovely home baked scones. Staff were attentive and friendly the coffee and scones were of average price. Loads of choice of where to sit with tables well apart. We will without doubt visit again.

Reviewed 15 January 2018

On the entrance it states that the tea room is open to 16.30 so we went in at 14.30, on entry 2 staff were sitting at a table nattering, myself and my wife were just in the door when we were pounced upon and asked "is it anything specific that you want", it was not instantly apparent what was available so i had picked up a baguette and walked to the service area, i then realised that there were other items available only to have a dour faced server in front of me shaking her hand for me to give her the baguette in a hurry, i asked if there was anything else available and her face distorted as though she had just discovered a skid mark on a hotel towel, at this stage i threw in the towel and decided that i would get better service in a soup kitchen than this depressing hell hole. If you are the manager of this place please put a sign in the front door stating, "open till 16.30 but don't expect any hot food, smiles, pleasant staff or a warm welcome" these miseries don't want to be here but if they do please send all of them for an in depth customer service course.........Shocking.

6  Thank ROBERT M