All reviews lovely restaurant bar lunch pub grub slept like logs curry sky tv booked an evening meal haggis nice atmosphere friday night return visit on arrival warm welcome shower room visited this hotel comfortable rooms near future
Reviewed 19 August 2018

having visited this hotel on a couple of occasions I felt a little disappointed on this visit. I was left standing at side of bar by the waitress as I tried to book in I realised she was on her own but I felt awkward having been told she would be in a moment while I stood there and waited for some time.
My husband was outside the lounge door wondering why it took so long.
I was given our room key and booked an evening meal time and gave indication to breakfast time .
Our room was quirky I.E the uneven floors of and old building.

We were comfortable enough but a couple of issues which we came across did surprise us from previous visits such as a glass left for us to drink out of had a residue that looked like salt only noted late evening . The shower room at first glance looked nice but when went to have a shower the shower products left by previous occupiers had been left on the little shower tray near shower head. and the grouting needs some attention.

we did have a good sleep and was warm enough so this made up for the couple of things listed above.

We enjoyed our evening meal staff pleasant. Breakfast was surprise no menu to choose from offered cooked breakfast but not made aware of what else we could have had .

I think this hotel is in a lovely setting and presume it is going through a change as the lovely restaurant is also closed .

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2018

Rm one, rusty bathroom hooks, part of the panelling missing, toilet flush button missing. And that was just the beginning. On check in told no breakfast, we booked on line. Tried to give us a double (Granny and granddaughter) moved to a room which did not have the advertised free gratuities. There was a bath, but no towels. The only thing I can comment is that it was clean, bedding was haphazard with flaps hanging. Pub below was noisy and door slammed until late. In the morning tried to talk to them, cold shouldered. Went back on Sunday, and same coldness from "duty manager". Tried to blame us, and then the booking system.

On my return home discovered that this pub has been sold a couple of times, yet website is still giving the old owner's details. I have been trying to get a refund for nearly 3 months, will be resorting to court next. Trading Standards has been notified, as well as parent company, seems that the manager was to contact me, but has not bothered. Avoid this place.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2018 via mobile

I loved everything about this hotel. Situated in a quiet little village, yet only 5 mins from Galashiels and the surrounding areas. First major plus was that there is plenty of free parking space at the hotel. I received a very warm welcome from the staff who were so helpful throughout my stay. The room was fresh, spacious, warm, quiet, very comfortable and spotlessly clean, as was the bathroom. There were plenty of supplies - tea, coffee, hot chocolate, biscuits and bottled water. The proprietor cooks a delicious breakfast too ....had my first taste of vegetarian haggis, and liked it!!! I will definitely be coming back to this lovely hotel!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank iancooper500
Reviewed 14 February 2018

Had a meal with friends here . Thought I was on candid camera . Told most of the things we asked for were unavailable . I had a tomato pasta dish hoping it would be warm .....think they served it straight from the fridge .....yuch . Won't be back there ever !!!!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
clovenfordshotel, Owner at The Clovenfords Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2018

It's a shame you never told us about your meal 8 months ago we could have tried to rectify it then.

We now have new chefs and new menu and have won Best Bar Dining Hotel for the Scottish borders 2017 / 2018 with Scottish Hotel Awards.

Reviewed 15 January 2018

We stayed here on Saturday 13th Jan. We stayed in room 7 above the bar but it wasn't particularly noisy. Our room was smart, comfortable and warm. The only glitch was there was only a quarter toilet roll in the bathroom. We had dinner in the bar, the service was good, the food was great value and well presented. Our breakfast was really nice and served promptly. A great base for a trip to the borders. I look forward to going back.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple