All reviews high tea cakes fish and chips spa facilities tray bakes old coaching inn dining room reception staff town centre hotel roof terrace lounge area family room two night stay comfortable rooms excellent location staff were lovely on arrival
Reviewed 19 March 2018

Room 16 was cold. Radiator poorly positioned but staff offered to move me to a cosy room. My belongings were carefully positioned in the new room while I was out. Delighted. ALL staff went "the extra mile" for everybody. Staff even accessed bus and train info for one of our group .I was on my own for some of my visit and the staff made me feel at ease. Gym was well attened and pool was inviting. I would definitely love to stay at the ROYAL HOTEL, FORFAR, again. ::) Afternoon tea had the most delicious selection of cakes. Worth dropping in for that too.

Room Tip: Room 16 was cold
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 March 2018

Hadn't long opened when we visited. The décor up to dining room was good and modern but, for me, the dining room lacked something. It was too bright and only another 2 tables so lacked a bit of atmosphere. We were placed in the corner by the window.
Took a slightly longer than comfortable time to serve our first drinks and the menu was very limited, only about 4 starters and 4 or 5 mains.
Anyway, we all chose a starter and a mian. Starters were ok. My main was OK but most folk had fish and chips and it looked (and tasted) very good. Everybody who had fish enjoyed their main. Tose that didn't, didnt!
I would say the place is decent value for money and we will give it another try now it has been open for a while.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank RedLichtie65
Reviewed 11 March 2018

Went for Mothers Day with some of the family and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the High Tea. A limited selection but all family favourites Steak Pie, Gamon Steak, Roast Beef and Veg Lasagne. The portions were excellent and perfectly cooked, I had the Roast Beef which was four large slices, Brussel Sprouts, Carrots, mashed, Roast and boiled potatoes. The usual selection of Home Baked deserts absolutely Wonderfull. Five Stars for the delicious food, table service as quick and well done and Bar prices very reasonable. The Hotel has its own car park, there is a lift available to take you up to the first floor. The only down thing is One Step into the restaurant area so might cause a problem if you are in a wheel chair but the staff are really helpfull and will set up a table in the lounge area right next to dining room. Highly RECOMENDED

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

Booked a fabulous two night stay over New Year at the Royal Hotel Small boutique hotel which is presented and very clean- friendly and helpful staff who aim to please everyone - excellent dinner and breakfast over both days. Really enjoyed the Hogmany party night and the use of the Spa facilities. Would recommend a stay at the Royal if your looking for a small and friendly hotel or maybe just dinner.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank lindatZ1597PW
Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

Stayed at The Royal 16-18.02.18 family of 7. Rooms were clean and adequate. Reception staff extremely helpful. Breakfast was average, vegetarian breakfast advertised when ordered no veg options available. Breakfasts ordered were delivered with items missing. I believe one staff member having to be waitress/assist Chef and Receptionist is too much for one individual to ensure service standards are adequate. On second morning no pastries/croissants on buffet and advised Hotel did not have any available. Bar/sofa area was most welcomed for after dinner drinks.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family