“Too cute! ”
Review of Co Couture

Co Couture
Ranked #4 of 64 Shopping in Belfast
More attraction details
Owner description: Co Couture has been creating premium chocolates and chocolate products right in the heart of Belfast, less than 100m from City Hall, since 2008. Their luxurious wares are handcrafted in small batches using only the finest raw ingredients; local produce where possible and equitably-traded products otherwise. Their chocolate is all gluten-free and refined-sugar-free, so much healthier than one might expect. Can you imagine a chocolate brownie with less calories than a banana? Co Couture have made it a reality. They’ve also created a range of dairy-free chocolates and highly sought-after vegetarian marshmallows; a recipe which took 2 years to perfect. Everything from Co Couture is made using exquisite Madagascan chocolate to ensure the ultimate taste experience. As the chocolate is RaiseTrade (one step above FairTrade), it is helping Madagascar to add further skills and wealth per capita, as well as increasing tax revenues to apply to the nation's developmental needs. So far Co Couture has secured over 20 prestigious national and international awards, including the Great Taste Awards Northern Ireland Speciality Producer Champion 2008, runner-up for Best Independent Retailer in the UK (top 4 in NI) at the Observer Food Awards 2013, and 10 medals at the Academy of Chocolate awards from 2009-2015. They also won a silver medal at the 2014 International Chocolate Awards, which has put Co Couture within the top 40 chocolateries in the world. They are currently ranked top 4 in the UK and number 1 in Ireland.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

Didn’t know it existed. Felt like a secret underground hideaway. A very cute little place and the hot choc was gorgeous (proper grownup, not sickly sweet commercial stuff). Brownie was divine.
3 things which I found negative and could be easily improved if anyone cares: cut the kitchen noise while customers are in (outrageous clattering), put on music low, add more comfy chairs

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"producers"
"treasure"

Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

Hidden in plain sight this cafe/chocolate/, artisan product shop is something special in Belfast. Go here!

Reviewed 16 May 2018 via mobile

Stumbled upon this lovely little shop, tucked away below stairs near the City Hall, by accident. Glad we did, though, because the chocolates they make here are really very good. They have a few tables where you can drink tea or, even better, their 60 or 70% hot chocolate - I had a cup of the delicious 70%. Friendly and helpful staff. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 10 May 2018 via mobile

If you are visiting the shop to buy some chocolate it tastes good but I was strongly advise against wasting your money on the Chocolate Masterclass. Firstly the kitchen area is far too small for the amount of people squeezed into it. All you do is melt chocolate in a microwave, add cream,water or milk and roll into balls. £40 per person is very steep for what you get ... if you Google "easy chocolate truffles recipe " you can find the exact same instructions online for free. I didn't want to write a bad TripAdvisor review and voiced my disappointment to the owners in an email but unfortunately they dismissed my email and said if I wanted a better experience or to learn something a bit more technical I should try other local businesses who may meet my needs. Overall very disappointing experience

2  Thank Caron-ireland
D M, Manager at Co Couture, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2018

Caron,

I’m very sorry to hear that you still feel strongly about this 4 months after the fact. As I mentioned in my final email on January 9th, this is the first complaint we have received about the classes in almost 10 years of doing them, so your comments have been noted and we shall use them to improve the experience in future.

When I didn’t receive any response to that email I assumed the issue had come to a conclusion, but as I said, I am very sorry that you feel the class was not good value for money.

For reference, please see some of our Facebook reviews below.

Many thanks,
Tommy

“We did the masterclass on Saturday morning, absolutely fab. Great fun, a really lovely and sociable group of people, and Deirdre was just wonderful. We came away with lots of great tips and ideas for making our own truffles at home, a bag of our own creations, and full of Co Couture's delicious hot chocolate and brownies. Would highly recommend!”
Ciara – 5 stars

“I did the masterclass yesterday and what a fantastic experience it was. Deirdre is a fount of knowledge and full of fun. What a bonus to get to drink the world class hot chocolate that Co Couture has to offer and sample some of their amazing chocolates and marshmallows. I can not recommend Co Couture highly enough. It’s a must do on the list of Belfast experiences.”
Louise – 5 stars

“I did the masterclass today and it was brilliant. Deirdre’s enthusiasm is contagious. Definitely worth a visit and by far the best hot chocolate you will find.”
Jen – 5 stars

“What a great time I had at the Masterclass today, and what a lot of fun it will be enjoying the truffles I made :-) thanks to Deirdre for such a fun and informative time!”
Paul – 5 stars

“Went to the chocolate masterclass this morning and what a great experience!! Something different and couldn't recommend highly enough.”
Suzanne – 5 stars

“Attended an afternoon chocolate making class, it really was super! Looking forward to attempting my new ganache making skills at home!”
Gillian – 5 stars

“Fabulous chocolate making class tonight!”
Beverley – 5 stars

See more reviews
Reviewed 26 March 2018

I have bought great chocolates here in the past, but after my past two experiences I won't try in future. I visit Belfast about once a month, and about five weeks before Christmas I went to Co Couture to buy some chocolates, but they only had a limited selection of about three different types. Called again last Saturday to buy a box as an Easter present for a friend - they had run out of boxes! On a Saturday two weeks before Easter! I don't live near the city, so being told that they might have boxes in stock later in the week was of no use to me. I know this is a small independent business, but it needs to be able to meet market demands. In future I will give my business to a reliable company prepared for customers. I always try to support local producers, but I won't be back to Co Couture.