“Fish Masterclass”

Belfast Cookery School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: we are the first purpose built cookery school in Belfast.We are situated in the centre of belfast close to hotels and public transport links.we offer a wide range of cookery classes featuring our chefs from the Mourne seafood Bar but we also offer a number of ethnic cooking classes featuring guest chefs.
Reviewed 11 March 2018

My daughters & I attended the fish masterclass this afternoon - courtesy of a Christmas present from my husband - it was absolutely excellent.

We were welcomed by Stewart who explained the format & throughout our 3 hours plus was always available to provide drinks, help with cooking etc. Like all the members of staff his attitude was extremely helpful & supportive.

Ian, the chief chef was an excellent teacher - not only did we learn the rudiments of filleting brill and monkfish & prepping squid but he also chipped in with extra useful cooking tips, always answering any queries in a helpful manner.

After showing us how to prep the fish he invited participants to have a go & reminded and advised along the way.

When the fish was prepped he then showed us how to cook it & served it with accompaniments for us to taste - yum.

We then proceeded to cook our starter of mussels in a fennel, wine & cream sauce at our own stations after a masterclass by Ian. It was absolutely delicious.

The same was the case for our main of fillet of hake, baked in a crumb of panko & Parmesan served on a ragu of cockles & mussels topped with a langoustine.

This was our first visit to The Belfast Cookery School & all three of us are looking forward to returning for other classes.

Thank you to all the team for a superb experience which just happened to coincide with Mother's Day.

All reviews
"tuition"
in 4 reviews
"demos"

Reviewed 3 March 2018

This was our 1st time at Belfast cookery school. We loved it. We got to meet new people and made a 3 course meal together. It was lovely getting to spend time with my husband and cooking together. We had great fun. The chef was great demonstrating the meals and then we got to do it ourselves. The seafood chowder was a great hit. We didn't do so well on the duck a l'orange. Lol but just forgetting to add the stock and having the sauce more like a stew added to the fun. Crepes went down a treat. Definitely add this to your date night list. We'll be looking for more classes in the future.

Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

Nice idea but expensive and it would’ve been better if we could cook some more main course dishes instead of being served them and cooking desserts. Will maybe try again at another stage. Not sure if it is worth the price.

1  Thank M3312LVem
Reviewed 24 February 2018

Having previously attended a children's session which was thoroughly enjoyable and very informative, I booked a second session for my daughter as a Christmas present. At the time of booking, the menu for the session was not available, so I booked blind based on the previous experience. Big mistake. The theme was baking, and since the age range of most of the children is 9-12, I presumed we might at least do cupcakes to take home. The first bake was peanut butter cookies, which I was surprised by considering the prevalence of peanut allergy, but they were within the skill-set and able to be taken home. The second bake wasn't a bake at all. We made lemon curd to put into a pre-made pastry case and the chef made Italian meringue which we piped on top and blow-torched under the chef's supervision. It's highly unlikely that children in this age range are ever going to make Italian meringue since it requires heating sugar to a high temperature (using a sugar thermometer) and pouring it over the egg whites, never mind use a blow torch. We then ate the finished product. To be fair, it was delicious. The final bake was a chocolate fondant pudding, within the skill set, but it is best eaten straight from the oven, so desert number 2. Neither of us could finish it and I felt sick by the time I left. It cost £70, started late, finished early and the main ingredients of flour, eggs, butter are hardly expensive. The last time I went, all adults were offered a complimentary glass of wine, this time we were told the prices. Altogether very disappointing.

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

Having previously been here and having a great experience of preparing a meal with a with a personable and entertaining chef.... I booked a trip my for my parents and pregnant sister and her husband.

At £60 a ticket for a Game of Thrones banquet and £240 spent on an evening of entertainment... I too was hoping they would enjoy the evening.

Unfortunately feedback from them was disappointing. They did enjoy the cooking but unlike my experience of preparing a whole meal- they only did the desserts and felt the chef could have been more helpful in places instead of acting for the camera; which was filming the experience.

This kind of broke my heart after splashing out on the evening and accommodation for them. I was not there to comment further but when four people are slightly disappointed in the experience. As a person that funded it...it does leave a bad taste in my mouth and I wouldn't recommend the experience.

2  Thank Jude Q