“Not the best. ”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Transit: Dont worry about transport as there is a main taxi rank just outside as well as a main bus stop infront of the restaurant. The train station is also just a 2 minute walk from Giovannis.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This restaurant has been on the Hayes forever. I think I last went in the early 1990s. Now I remember why I haven’t been back. The staff were lovely with our waiters joking couldn’t fault the service. The food was pretty grim all round. It came out so fast. Greasy sauces and bland risotto. I imagine it was like the first Italian food to arrive in 1970s uk. £30+ for a bottle of prosecco was a tad steep. Pudding menu of pictures of things like bombes. Cafe cita or Casanova around the corner are better and cheaper.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 311)

8 - 12 of 1 311 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Went as a couple and ordered spaghetti carbonara and lasagna. Food was reasonably priced considering the location. The portion was sufficient and the appearance looked good. However, the food tasted too rich and oily.

The carbonara had a layer of oil over the sauce, likely due to the butter added in it. The bacon was not well fried and seemed to be boiled as the fatty part still existed. This resulted in a rich sauce that was good initially but due to the oil and taste, it turned horrible very soon. I would strongly recommend against ordering the carbonara as I had a stomachache shortly after leaving the restaurant.

The lasagna was equally rich with the charred taste of the cheese and the tangy tomato sauce used. Fortunately, the lasagna was not as oily and it did taste pretty good.

A for the service, there is nothing to write about as I felt it was decent to below average. Do note that the restaurant has an optional 10% service charge (customer's discretion).

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We had a lovely time at Giovanni’s. We had heard that they catered for gluten intolerance so we were keen to try it especially after our time in Rome where my partner ate like a king!
Turns out we went to the wrong branch of Giovannis. However, they were still able to cater for us. The only thing they couldn’t offer us was gluten free bread!
The food was delicious and the staff amazing. Will definitely return next time we are shopping!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Giovanni’s on The Hayes in Cardiff was recommended to us so we booked a table for 4 for a meal before going to a concert. The staff member who answered the phone when I made the booking was very abrupt but I put that down to perhaps the restaurant we’re busy. I also phoned to confirm the booking a few days before we were supposed to be there. When we turned up for our booking the restaurant was jam packed and there was no table for us. After a small wait a table was found outside. Unfortunately for us there were a lot of birds flying around and we very soon became victims of the birds defecating. We were covered and if we had been there long enough to have had our food then that would have been covered too. While the restaurant cannot be held accountable for birds doing what they do we can’t have been the only victims ever to have had this so they should have had parasols or some other shelter to provide their customers with protection. When we told the waiter we weren’t staying for a meal he then proceeded to rush us off and prepared the table for some other customers. We weren’t offered an apology or an inside table, there was no customer care at all. The other staff just laughed. While we could see the funny side of the situation afterwards the restaurant did not look after their customers and the staff were rude and abrupt. Needless to say I can not recommend this restaurant at all for its customer care and we weren’t around long enough to taste the food. If the restaurant are going to stick tables out in the middle of a shopping centre with a large bird population they should at least do it with thought for their clientele

3  Thank 839helenp
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I've had two glorious melas at Giovanni's in Cardiff recently and have not been disappointed on either, constantly good quality for in this family-run (NON chain) restaurant.
Service with a smile or rather from ERMINIA was fabulous on both occasions and really helped complete the delight for the evening.
Go and enjoy..........you'll not be disappointed.

1  Thank SirSidParker54