“Awful food DRY IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT ”
Review of Irie Shack Cathays

Irie Shack Cathays
Ranked #215 of 1 379 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$4 - US$20
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican, Bar
Neighbourhood: Cathays
Description: Irie Shack was established in 2013, bringing traditional Caribbean cuisine and a taste of the tropics to South Wales. Providing high quality meals is our priority; using traditional jerk pit cooking methods, our bespoke built charcoal grills provide the authentic flavours of the Islands. Whilst our bar offers an extensive range of cocktails, made from traditional spirits and exotic fruits. Situated in the heart of Cathays, the restaurant is bright and refreshing, offering a summer getaway whatever the weather. Our friendly staff are on hand to guide you through our menus and offer alternatives to those less adventurous. Music is the food of the soul, and at Irie Shack we can't get enough! Unwind in our topical inspired bar and be whisked away to your own island retreat with the sounds of the best soul, funk, reggae and regular live music acts.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

From previously loving this restaurant.. great vibe.. tasty well priced food.. my past 2 experiences (which are a year apart) have been bad.. then worse than bad. I always have chicken and it was inexcusably dry.. and the quantity of meat on both skewers this time probably half the amount.. please regain your initial enthusiasm.. it’s become soulless both the food and atmosphere.. I’ll not be back sorry

2  Thank Louise M

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Been hear a couple times now, always enjoyed the food and the cocktails are really good as well! Would recommend going at least once to try

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

The stag were lovely and very patient. The ambiance is greata and the food was good, all of my friends were happy with their meal too. Taste was great... and the menu offering is also good. My beef was a little over cooked.. hence 3 stars. But a great place overall and would definitely go again!

Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

This is our second time going to iris shack cathays we’ve yet to try the cardiff bay one .
First time I had the goat curry , it was good but the rice was dry and hard like it had been left out it was very busy in there so we just thought it was due to that .
Second visit was a little disappointing, the chicken skewers were over cooked the meat was so dry the rice wasn’t very good either .
The only thing I would recommend really is the cocktails and if there is music on there that’s pretty good

Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

Me and my partner have been completing "Alphabet Dating" for a while now and for J we decided to get some Jamaican food at Irie Shack! (Even though we could have said I is for Irie Shack but never mind!)
I called up at 5pm when they opened and a kind man called Connor answered the phone and said he'd hold a table for us for around 7pm because I wasn't sure what time I'd be there.
We finally got there at 8pm and the staff had kindly still held our table which was so sweet! Best seats in the house next to the window, so instantly a great start!
After some serious deliberation of what to order we finally decided. For my partner who eats meat he was completely spoilt for choice and already wants to go back to try the entire menu! I however am a vegetarian and felt there wasn't that many options, some, but not loads. But for a Caribbean place what can I expect, it's cool!
Luckily, we enjoy each other's company enough (the Hurricane pitcher helped), but the food did take almost an hour to come. For a Tuesday, not a busy nice it was pretty slow service. But the staff were so lovely!
My halloumi wrap was a little bland but combining it with their jerk sauce was incredible! We both thought the food was great.
I'd definitely recommend Irie Shack to anyone in the area, and I'd absolutely go again! The sweet potato fries and their slaw is a muuuust.