“Terrible service, food was okay”

Signor Valentino Mermaid Quay
Ranked #123 of 1 391 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$9 - US$26
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Located on the first floor at Mermaid Quay, Cardiff Bay, Signor Valentino undoubtedly occupies the best position on the waterfront. With views to die for over Cardiff Bay and stretching to Penarth Marina, there balcony of Signor Valentino is a truly remarkable setting for al fresco dining. It feels like you could be anywhere in the Mediterranean. When launched, Signor Valentino became an overnight success in 2001 due to its strong ethos in excellent food and service was a Mecca for dining enthusiasts. Due to the great succes of Signor Valentino Mermaid Quay, we were excited to launch our second locaton in St David's shopping centre providing hungry shoppers with a hot spot for great food, stylish surroundings and great service. The emphasis in both locations is on the delcious Italian food we produce, sourcing the highest quality, locally sourced produce, cooked by our highly qualified team of chefs, the open kitchen in both locations gives our customers the opportunity to watch our teams hard at work producing dishes for your enjoyment. We are very proud of what we have created and we hope you enjoy dining with us as much as we enjoy welcoming you.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

My girlfriend and I visited this place for the first time.
The food itself was okay and quite tasty.
The service was terrible.
As we walked in the door to 4 members of staff stood around chatting (I don’t have an issue with that), we were not greeted with any smiling faces. We asked to be seated outside on the balcony, which seemed like it hadn’t been cleaned in many months. There were large spider webs with many spiders, inches from our table.
We were sat down for around 20 minutes and no body came to took our drinks or food order. I had to go inside to the counter to ask to be served, again the staff were stood around chatting to each other. The waitress wasn’t rude but definitely not friendly either.
When our drinks arrived, my girlfriend asked for a straw. 5 minutes later, it did not arrive. I asked again. It did not arrive. When the food came, we asked for the straw again, the person that brought the food over told another member of staff to get it at which point she proceeded to take someone else’s order rather than grab the straw which would have taken 15 seconds. I had to go inside and get one from the bar myself.
The food was okay as I said, other people were being asked if they wanted Parmesan on their pasta, I was not asked for mine.
After we had finished eating, the plates were left on our table for over 15 minutes with plenty of staff walking past without a care.
We had to ask someone to come over for the bill.
My girlfriend and I eat out quite a lot and I can not remember the last time the service was this bad and the staff (all that we interacted with) were this unfriendly.
7/10 for food
0/10 for cleanliness
0/10 for customer service

1  Thank Zed138
PRDept, Public Relations Manager at Signor Valentino Mermaid Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Hi there, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are very disappointed to hear this as we pride ourselves on our high level of service. Could you please email mali@branded-restaurants.com as we would like to discuss this matter further. Many thanks

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Lovely views especially on a hot day. Didn’t have huge confidence in the waiter as he was more interested in hitting on my friend than listening to our order. Main was forgotten so waited a while.
Then the waiter actually came over and asked us for a cigarette!!! And proceeded to stand over us while my friend rolled one!
Made us feel very uncomfortable. Did not pay 10% service charge return add on as awful service! Would not go again.
Oh & the food was average.

Hi Bertie, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are shocked and appalled to hear of this experience and would like to get to the bottom of this issue. Could you please email mali@branded-restaurants.com to discuss this matter as this is not okay. Many thanks.

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

This was our second visit in Signor Valentino in beautiful sunny Tuesday,very busy but we receive again lovely food and amazing service,warm welcoming atmosphere,very professional attitude and attention from the manager Lary,well done Signor Valentino,never disappointed,best Italian,keep doing well:)

Reviewed 25 June 2018

We had lunch here on a Sunday afternoon. There were 4 of us and the 2 people that had pizza both said it was the best pizza they had had in years! So I guess this is a huge compliment. The location was great and the views across the bay were beautiful too.

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

If you are looking for a picture perfect view. This is a great place for this.. the view over the bay is perfect. The food was very tasty and a good size portion, just the price was a little steep for what we had. Great for a special occasion

PRDept, Public Relations Manager at Signor Valentino Mermaid Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Thanks James, we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful Cardiff Bay views and our tasty food. We hope that we can welcome you back again soon!