“Absolutely awful will never go again, such a waste of money”

Bannatyne Health Club & Spa - Cardiff
Ranked #23 of 29 Spas & Wellness in Cardiff
More attraction details
Owner description: In a world increasingly cluttered with noise and stress, stepping into one of our spas where men and women can completely relax and unwind provides the perfect antidote to modern day life. There is no simpler way to treat yourself than at The Bannatyne Spa. Our spacious therapy rooms provide a calm and relaxing environment in which to completely unwind, you can enjoy a choice of a wide range of treatments including; massages, facials, manicures and more. Set within our state of the art Bannatyne Health Clubs, the Spa is just one area dedicated to your wellbeing.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Myself, my mum and my sister visited Bannatyne Spa Cardiff today (02/04/18) for a spa day for my sisters 19th birthday, and all 3 of us are so disappointed and I can't help but feel sorry for my mum for the money she's wasted. I don't even know where to start. The building isn't fit for purpose, the pool is too small, the changing rooms are way too small and you end up having to stand uncomfortably close to people whilst getting changed. There is only 1 private cubicle in the changing rooms which means everyone just has to get naked in front of each other as the cubicle is constantly occupied. The whole building is scruffy, needs a revamp. My mum had a back massage and a facial, and myself and my sister had a back massage, leg massage, facial and nail file with polish. The massages were extremely disappointing, no technique to them whatsoever. All the way through the massages and the facial we could hear extremely loud banging, sounded like building work going on or a door being repeatedly slammed. How is anyone supposed to relax with that going on? We did like the facial treatment but again the loud noises completely ruined that for us. The "nail file and polish" is the biggest joke I've ever seen in my life. My sister had her nails done first and they did look really lovely, my nails however were absolutely horrendous. The "spa therapist" couldn't have rushed my nails any more if she tried, she might as well have thrown the nail polish at my nails. She didn't remove my previous nail polish properly and didn't file my nails. She didn't paint my nails properly, you could still see the previous colour underneath, some parts of my nails didn't even have polish on, there was more polish on my skin than nails! She had put on too many coats too fast without letting them dry so my nails went so tacky and wouldn't dry, I came out and complained to the spa manager who was really friendly, he apologised and said that he if I waited in the cafe area at 12.40 then another spa therapist would redo my nails. I ended up going in at 1.10 to get my nails done with another spa therapist. Even though these nails looked much better, again they were rushed so didn't dry properly and ended up smudging off within an hour. All of my sisters nail polish had also chipped off by the time we'd left. Afternoon tea was awful, the portion sizes were tiny, the sandwiches were stale with cheap fillings that looked like it had been bought from Aldi, the scones were stale and cold, and the tiny little cakes on top were so small they were pointless. Ended up leaving absolutely starving and went somewhere else for food. The staff that we did come across were all really friendly but that doesn't justify the awful day we've had. Bannatyne's shouldn't be hiring "spa therapists" that clearly have no qualifications in beauty therapy and don't have a clue what they are doing, and also shouldn't be advertising as a Spa when Bannatyne's is nothing but a glorified gym. The only reason it's a 1 star review is because you can't leave 0. Really really disappointed and will never return again, £180 down the drain.

Spa C, Manager at Bannatyne Health Club & Spa - Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Levin,

Thank you for taking the time to review Bannatyne Spa Cardiff. I am sorry to hear that your spa day did not meet your expectations on this occasion. At Bannatyne Spa we constantly strive to to improve our service provision and as such we welcome both positive and negative feedback to help us do so.

Natalie.

All reviews
"neck and shoulder massage"
in 4 reviews
"front of house manager"
in 2 reviews
"purchased a groupon voucher"
"spa visit"
"personal trainer"
"lovely relaxing day"
"lady on reception"
in 2 reviews
"staff were all very friendly"
"friends birthday"
"salon"
"fab"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

A very good welcome from the front of house manager and staff in cafe. My mother was very happy with her treatment; mine was adequate at best but certainly not great. Sabina was my therapist and I felt rushed through my massage. Facial was good but very poor service with painting my toe nails. She couldn’t open the top coat, thrust the bottle at me to open. Initially, I couldn’t do it and she told me, “ok, no top coat”. She looked for an alternative bottle and could only find Matt finish, which she wanted me to accept. I wouldn’t and it was clear she had no other plan. Wanting a decent job, I tried to open the bottle again and I did manage to open it and I then chose a colour. After her painting one toe nail, I realised the colour did not match my skin tone and I asked if I could change my mind. Her irritated response was “ok but you need to do it quickly because I don’t have much time”. I think that is inappropriate for a spa experience! Swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and changing rooms all good enough - good temperature. Afternoon tea not so good - sandwiches were the size of a postage stamp, scones were doughy (clearly frozen and reheated). I don’t expect tea at the Ritz but don’t feel this was value for money.

Spa C, Manager at Bannatyne Health Club & Spa - Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear S W,

Best regrads

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Had a lovely relaxing day and massage was lovely. Staff were helpful and the cafe food was good and did gluten free.

2  Thank Laura W
Spa C, Manager at Bannatyne Health Club & Spa - Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Laura,

Thank you for taking the time to review Bannatyne Spa Cardiff. It is wonderful to hear that you had a relaxing and enjoyable day with us. I have passed on your compliments to the team and they were delighted.

To keep up to date on our latest Spa Days and Promotions please do check out our Facebook and Twitter pages.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Bannatyne Spa in the near future.

Kindest Regards,
Natalie

Reviewed 6 March 2018

My friend and I had this treat off our Husbands as a Xmas gift. Spar experience. The outside and in was not inviting, quite shabby. Our massage was good but we were dressed and out within 25 mins that the massage should of lasted for. Steam room full , Pool full and Jacuzzi not working even though a staff member had said it was. Changing area crowded and not too clean and to top it up Cold shower. Staff uninterested when we complained. Never again. Save your money and go else where.

2  Thank pauline s

Dear Pauline,

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

First impression- the building outside looks like in a desperate need for a lick of paint .
Inside we were welcomed by a lovely receptionist. After filling some forms regarding our spa treatments, she passed us to a very young looking boy. He charged me £65 pounds... I asked him what’s that for to which he replayed “for your treatments “. Once I told him that treatments were paid for in advance, he grabbed his head with both hands saying “ I’ve messed it up, didn’t I”. So I asked for the £65 to be refunded...
The spa treatments.. I had mine with a lovely lady who I struggled to understand.. The back massage was ok however, she mostly worked on the left side of my back... no idea why. The scalp massage was a total waste of money.
Once the massage was finished and I supposed to be left alone to chill, she talked me through the products she had used and offered them for sale to me! I swear, I wasn’t sure whether to laugh or to tell her off. In all my life I have never experienced that. Usually, you are left alone after the treatment to chill, then you go back to the reception where all the products are available, if you want to purchase them. I have never had them literally pushed down my throat as soon as the massage finished!
To top it up, during the supposedly relaxing massage, all I could hear were the other members of staff , talking to their clients outside the door in the corridor. They were so loud that I felt as if they were standing next to me!
After the massage& the shock of what felt like “door step sale”, I went back to the caffe /restaurant part of the place to meet my friend. We both felt the same regarding the forced sale of the spa products.. We decided to have some light lunch before using the pool/sauna/ jacuzzi. I went to place an order and to my surprise the young reception boy was now performing a role of a coffee maker/ food order taker. I’m not joking but it took me 20min to order the coffee. He couldn’t work out the coffee machine for the life of him! Once he managed to do that, he took the food order warning ,that the waiting for the food will be about 20min, because the cook is on his break... I paid the monies and went back to my friend with the coffees. 50min later (!!!!) the boy brought the food... it wasn’t what we had ordered. He grabbed his head with both hands saying “oh no, I messed that up”! We decided that we needed to speak to a manager but one wasn’t available. A receptionist on hearing our complaint laughed saying that the boy is only 16yrs old and he doesn’t really know what he is doing (!!!!). With that she offered a free coffee and food money back...
Overall I do not recommend this place.

Dear Evansbea,