Reviews (2 002)
2 003 results
All reviews afternoon tea grand staircase opposite the castle cardiff castle millennium stadium lovely hotel bit dated city centre room was large car parking cooked breakfast foyer principality welsh concert
212 - 217 of 2 003 reviews
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Booked feature room , found it to be rather basic by the standard of most of the hotels we have stayed in . The hotel is in a perfect position for a visit to the town or stadium.We were one of first down for breakfast, unfortunatley it was a buffet and had been left to stand for some time . My partner had freshly cooked poached eggs on toast ,and I would recommend this option if you want your breakfast to be of a good standard . The staff were welcoming and it would not take a a great deal of changes, to make this a first class hotel . Just a little attention to detail .

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Richard S, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Dear
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am sorry you found the room basic. We appreciate your feedback and will address the points you have raised. I am pleased your partner took advantage of the cooked to order items on the breakfast menu which are designed to enhance the standard fayre you receive in a hotel.
We hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again for a better stay.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Just back from a long weekend with lots of friends. Was made to feel very welcome. Rooms great, plenty of space and good facilities. A nice bar with very reasonable prices. A very nice breakfast. In a great location right opposite the castle and next to the stadium. Loads to do close by. Caught the number 8 bus just along the road for a few hours in Cardiff Bay Waterfront area. ( ask for offers) we used 5 for £10 return tickets- but from what I can gather these offers change so dworth asking if there is a group of you. Had a good time at the waterfront - only a few mins away. Lovely waterside bars plenty of places to eat etc. Some of our friends went on a trip on the jet boat and had a great time. I believe you can also get a river boat taxi back to the castle which might be nice to do however we didn't do this on this occasion. There is also a large Techniquest on the waterfront too. (Great if you have kids with you.)
Also considered a trip to Barry Island for £ 5.50 which was easy as the train station is also just around the corner from the hotel but didn't get around to it as we were on an adult group boozy weekend so spent most of our time trailing from pub to pub! Would definitely go back to the Angel again if staying in the area and might take the kids for a visit next time.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends

Dear Twikenham
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am delighted you had a great weekend with us, the room was great and you enjoyed all the city has to offer.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Did not enjoy our stay at all.

Paid over £500 for one night as the boxing was on and was quite horrified at the way we were treated and the state of the hotel.

Firstly, the roads were all closed (not the hotels fault at all) so we couldn’t park or park anywhere near the hotel. We received an email with a list of roads that were closed - we are not from Cardiff we travelled from London so how were we meant to know that them specific roads wouldn’t allow us to park in the hotel car park ? Should of stated very clearly in the email that we wouldn’t be able to use the hotel parking facilities then maybe we would of got the train instead ! I complained to the manager who apologised and he did seem genuine.

Darren the receptionist however was not interested when we complained he kept blaming “the council” he couldn’t grasp what we were saying - that it should of been made clear before we arrived! For £500 per night I would of expected better communication.

Room was just awful, paint peeling off the walls, leather peeling off the headboard on the bed, mattress and pillows were rock hard. Dust and dirt all over the place and most importantly 2 smallest windows I have ever seen that didn’t open! Tiny room and felt very boxed in.

The lifts are so so small and felt like it could stop working at any moment did not feel safe.

Breakfast was average very undercooked and not much selection.

The drink I got from the bar was in a dirty glass.

Overall very very disappointed would never stay here again.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Becky M
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am sorry for the issues you encountered during your stay. We appreciate your feedback and will address all the points you have raised.
I have reviewed the letter we send out for every event, that leads to road closures in the proximity of the stadium, to ensure it is sufficiently clear the name of our road we are situated on is the same road listed under the closures.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

The Angel,Cardiff,whoooo as valley girl this was the bees knees in the 70s..Top hotel ,so not expecting much as having read previous comments thought ok for a stop over after a theatre trip..(moved from the valleys many years ago travelled all over the world since)..so thread bare carpets I thought....NO what a pleasant surprise,spotlessly clean,very comfortable bed,ok you have a main road here so take ear plugs,as they have sash windows...this deal with Grupon,included 3 course meal with wine...ok cheap or what....NO a lovely bottle of Shiraz,and a meal we would would have happily paid top dollar,excellent,and perfectly presented were served by a super young lady called Ashley,..in fact all the staff were lovely,friendly...breakfast lovely ok it could gave been hotter but how many times have were said this eating in hotels,but you do get the choice of eggs...eg...poached,scrambled etc..so make the most of it...all in all a lovely stay,I would recommend this to my friends...and thank you Angel Hotel for not bursting my 1970 s bubble.......this hotel is very central to all ameanaties,directly opposite the castle,10 minute walk from railway station......enjoy a lovely hotel....

Stayed: March 2018
1  Thank Marie H
Richard S, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Dear Marie H,

Thank you for your lovely review. I'm delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and all the staff you came across represented the hotel well. The Groupon deal is very good so keep an eye out for further offers on both Groupon and with us directly.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Angel....

Kind Regards

Richard Smith
Operations Manager

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We booked a twin room. It was very small and no enough space. This room is not for two persons. Maximum for one. Don’t think will book this hotel again. Also we couldn’t open the window, which is sth so weird

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business

Dear Omar H,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am sorry you found the twin room too small. We appreciate your feedback and will address the points you have raised.

We hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again for a better stay.

Kind Regards