“Whats not to like ?”

Cuisines: British, Brew Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have visited the Maenllwyd on many occasions but this was the first time on a Sunday. The Maenllwyd is a hidden gem in the countryside only two miles from Caerphilly. It has two car parks one situated adjacent to the Inn and one parallel to it.
We have always had good service and quality food, as was the case this Sunday the staff were exemplary as well. Mike the Manager once checking our reservation took us to our table he introduced himself and took time to chat to us. Our server was Jas who was always on hand to check if we were happy with the food. My wife had the shoulder of slow roasted Lamb and I decided on a trio of meats consisting of Topside of beef, turkey breast and pork loin with crackling, roasted Red Delicious apple and sage & onion stuffing. Both good choices including Goose fat potatoes and seasonal vegetables, my wife asked for extra gravy which was replenished promptly. The Lamb was £15.00 for one course which is the top end of the price I would pay .As I am Chef & Brewer loyalty member of which the Maenllwd is a part of, I receive promotional discounts so on this occasion we utilised a 40% discount voucher which brought the meal price to a tasty £9.00.We were treated no different so its plaudits all round for the chefs, Mike the duty Manager and all the staff on the day. After the meal we sat outside and admired the views of the rolling countryside. So a great setting, excellent food, courteous staff and a 40% discount what’s not to like.

Laura H, Team leader at Maenllwyd Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi postypaul,
Thankyou for taking the time to review us.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us.
Kind regards laura

Write a ReviewReviews (1 508)

12 - 16 of 1 508 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I went on a family get together meal, there were 12 of us. The pub is really lovely and the staff were really pleasant and efficient so no complaints there, but the food!!!! Dreadful and overpriced! I ordered a seafood dish and salad rather than the chips on offer it was £15.99. The seafood consisted of 2 small prawns, a sliver of salmon and cod, a tiny thin fillet of sea bass. All were dry because they were over cooked The salad was chopped up iceberg lettuce and lots of onions. My husband had a chicken burger with triple cooked chips that cost nearly £12. It was tiny, the chicken was half a breast and really tough. The triple cooked chips were the cheapest frozen chips that would never have withstood a triple cooking! Nobody else seemed impressed with their choices either.

I had dessert because I was still hungry but should have kept my £5+! The sundae promised a lot and delivered very little...a bit like the pub itself, fur coat and no knickers!

Needless to say we will not go back, such a shame because the actual pub is so lovely....ahh well another one bites the dust☹️

Hi amart 21
Thanks for taking the time to review us.
It looks like we let you down on your recent visit, thankyou for your feedback we will use it to improve our standards both now and in the future.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Took elderly mum here for lunch. Lovely tasty food - we both had the roast turkey - food arrived promptly. Two desserts a sticky toffee pudding and a cookie dessert - both delicious. Woukd recommend for a sunday roast

Review collected in partnership with Chef & Brewer
Laura H, Team Leader at Maenllwyd Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi alibee
We are delighted that yourself and your mum enjoyed your visit with us.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First time I've been here for Sunday lunch cant see me calling back unless they improve on their service, my prawn starter was frozen prawns the bottom of the bowl was awash with water, the butter was so hard you couldn't spread it on your bread, the main was ok, an average pub grub Sunday lunch that we had to wait over an hour after the starters, what a joke, the deserts were the best part, but when you had coffee, odd giving you Costa sugar and a wooden stick.

Hi Gareth,
Thanks for taking the time to review us, we are sorry you were underwhelmed and your visit was not up to our usual high standards.
Hope you can give us another try in the future.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Beautiful little country pub, set in the rolling hills of Caerphilly and it was really nice to sit and relax, read and eat. If you're ever over this way and want a reasonable meal in a little Welsh farmhouse pub, then come here.

Review collected in partnership with Greene King
Laura H, Team leader at Maenllwyd Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi,
Thanks for your kind review of the maenllwyd Inn. We agree the pub has a lovely chilled atmosphere, and we are so delighted you enjoyed your visit with us.
Look forward to seeing you again.