“Not fat yet”

The Fat Boar Wrecsam
Ranked #16 of 277 Restaurants in Wrexham
Price range: US$13 - US$40
Description: We are independent bar and restaurant that provides fry food, drink and live music. Open seven days a week.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Lovely scampi and chips not loads of choice for veggies why does all fish have to have alcohol in it???? What if you don't drink. Service was good only downside I booked a table but when I got there there was no booking so that was not a good start.desert was lovely on a whole I would go back. I think they got a section were they put all those who have vouchers in one room lol.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Nice to see somewhere in Wrexham to get a good Sunday roast. Very busy but nothing to much hassle.. Great roast beef. Gravy a bit bland but roasties were amazing.

1  Thank wrexy918
Reviewed 30 March 2018

Had booked a table waited at desk along with another couple for about 5 minutes ,man came over spoke to other couple first and took them upstairs to their table saying he would be right back,we must have waited a further 10 minutes until someone else came.Table was ok but service was really slow,eventually someone came but she couldn’t answer enquiry’s we made so another person was fetched.Food was ok not great service was awful,really would not recommend.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

We went there with family members who eat there often and booked in advance, and it proved an inspired choice. Even on a busy Friday evening, service was superb, the food mostly excellent (one steak was too rare at one end) and the ambience great. My wife also discovered that she loves gin cocktails!

Well located in Wrexham town centre, it doesn't have its own parking but we didn't have to walk far. Apparently it does cheaper meals before 7 and caters for the football crowd on match days but we enjoyed our evening experience.

Reviewed 25 March 2018

I’m not one to post reviews, unless the experience was exceptional or very poor. Sadly mine was of the later last night.
We had booked a table 8 days ago for 8.15pm (So this was not a just a turn up on the night visit) We arrived at 8pm, ordering drinks at the bar I mentioned our booking to the barman, and asked if I have to see the man at the desk about our reservation, the barman said that he would deal with it. He then said that our table was not ready yet, and he would call us when it was ready (fair enough as we were 15 minutes early) I pointed out where we would be sitting, very near to the bar. By 8.20pm we had not been called, the bar was busy so I went to the desk, the man on it was looking at the laptop, he must have seen me standing next to him waiting for attention, he never looked my way or gave me any acknowledgement that he was going to deal with me, after 2 minutes he said “I’ll be with you in 2 seconds” and left me there, disappearing upstairs. I was left standing for 5 minutes or more, he never came back, eventually the manager (I presume) came to the desk, by then I was fairly angry with the lack of service, I’m not the kind that usually complains for nothing, but I thought that this was very poor service. He asked what he could do for me, I explained what had happened, he gave no eye contact whilst I talked, just looking at the laptop, when I had finished explaining he just said “Bellis 8.15?” I said yes, he then said “follow me” no apology at all. I walked to my wife to signal to follow him, she had been waiting rather impatiently wondering why I been so long standing at the desk by myself. Once we were shown our table I said “not even an apology!” He said he had said sorry (He never did) and he would speak to the man on the desk about keeping us waiting, at that stage I should have been offered complementary drinks at the least I felt, but nothing was offered for our rude and shabby service. By now it was about 8.35pm, we ordered our food straight away, we waited another 35 minutes before it was served, so an hour from when the table was booked, which spoilt our plans for later. Apart from that poor show the food was good, the only other rather bad observation I saw was one of the waitresses getting her 2 litre bottle of water, and swigging it as she walked through the dining room amongst the diners, the same waitress looked at her smart phone several times as she waited at the food serving hatch, hardly professional to say the least!
I will add that this is a rather classy gastro pub, not some cowboy fast food pub, it came highly recommended, and has a good reputation, but it soured our experience and spoilt our evening.
Ours may be an isolated incident, but the mistakes could have been cushioned with a bit of empathy and compensation with complementary drinks or more.

9  Thank Alan B