“Not disappointed”

Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Nepalese
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 September 2017

Decided to go for lunch and being a Sunday wanted something a little different to a roast!

We have always had both good service & food at the Gurka Corner so decided to drop in. Ended up with a lovely 2 course meal (well 3 really but the dessert served with the main!!) Ordered the potato cakes to start which was really tasty - could imagine them a little smaller and served as a canape! My partner had the soup which was really enjoyable and tasty - if anything a little too much as there was a real bowl full!!

For the mains we both had the platter meal for mains which had rice, daal, lamb curry, vegetable curry with a yogurt & cumin dip, and a tomato chutney. Additionally there was a small dessert on the platter which I only know through Indian cuisine of gulab jamun - it was a nice finish to the meal!

The service as ever was very professional, polite and attentive. 2 course meal for 2, 2 pints of premium lager, 2 coffees for just under £40 and worth it!! The platter meal is the most expensive meal on the menu, and we have had different mains and been equally satisfied and they are all a few quid cheaper!

Plenty of parking close by both pay & display and free!

Will certainly be returning!!

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

I been to Gurkha restaurant with my wife and I had a Chicken dumplings and Chowmein which was delicious/can't wait for next visit. Highly recommended

Reviewed 23 August 2017

My colleague and I ate at Gurkhar Corner after being recommended to do so by our business partners.

The place is very welcoming and the staff are very happy. Inside its warm and cosy with interesting pictures and paintings throughout.

The menu is expansive with the staff more than happy to offer advice and suggestions.

The food was really good and served in good order.

Well worth the visit; I recommend it.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

Myself and the other half found ourselves wandering around Abergavenny today. The sun was shining and there was a vintage market on....things were going well. At lunchtime, both feeling rather peckish, we stumbled upon Gurkha Corner - what a treat we were in for.

On entering, we were warmly welcomed and shown to our table. Our napkins were unfolded and placed on our laps for us, before we were presented with the lunchtime menu.

I opted for the vegetarian noodles, the other half chose the chilli chicken and rice. We had poppodoms and mango chutney to nibble on whilst our dishes were cooked. I must say, the aromas floating out from the kitchen were heavenly, and when the food arrived at the table, it did not disappoint - seriously good.

Piping hot, wonderful flavours and my other half said the rice was the best he'd ever had - I tried some, and had to agree. Light, fluffy no hint of starchiness.....it was lovely.
My noodles went down a treat. A very generous portion, I almost struggled to eat it all....but I did. It was just too good to leave even a single mouthful.

Throughout our meal, service from our friendly waiter was courteous and polite without being overbearing. I really could not fault it.

Two lunches, two drinks plus poppodoms and chutney - £20. Extremely good value.
We hadn't been to Abergavenny for a while, but we will definitely be returning very soon - and we shall be heading straight to Gurkha Corner for lunch again!

3  Thank Spacehopper2000
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

We were in the town for three days, partly to go to the Walnut Tree so we thought we'd have a curry on our first night.

What a find this place is. Food so fresh and we'll cooked it puts most curry restaurants to shame.

Also there is a great range of beers including some really unusual ones.

Service was great and the atmosphere low key and comfortable.

Outstanding in all respects!

2  Thank Adrian B