“Despite late arrival, great food and service”
Review of Mandarin

Mandarin
Ranked #49 of 161 Restaurants in Aberystwyth
Cuisines: Chinese, British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My boyfriend and I met up in Aber for dinner after 10pm a few months ago, but couldn't find a restaurant still serving, Wetherspoons at the station having some kind of problems on that particular day.

We wandered round town in a rather directionless way, before noticing that the lights were still on at the Mandarin. We decided to chance it, and are very glad that we did. We each had a good main course with drinks, and went from being grouchy and sullen with each other to happy in a short space of time as a result. The staff were particularly friendly, and didn't seem to mind us being so late.

Very nice meal. We plan to go there again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My wife and I ate here and loved the food as well as the staff interaction. We ordered spring rolls, crispy wonton, egg fried rice, sweet and sour pork and sweet and sour chicken balls. The food was very tasty and was washed down with the equally tasty Tsingtao.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This restaurant is so lucky that there's no other competition in the area. It's overpriced and the quality of food is appalling. I wasted good money on bad food.

Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

The first thing that really strikes you about this restaurant is the decor and the menu it really is something out of the 1970. The menu has strange options such as cream of tomato soup and tinned fruit. However once you get past that the food is well cooked and tasty and it’s a reasonable price. If I was to return to Aberystwyth I would visit this restaurant again.

Reviewed 31 May 2018

Don't, just don't expect anything authentic. It's a bit like the Chinese takeaways we had in the 1970s - bland tasting and frankly a bit boring in a dingy room. Time they spruced it up and got a new chef.