5 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
PricelineUS$230
Expedia.comUS$230
Hotels.comUS$230
Trip.comUS$230
TravelocityUS$230
HurbUS$270
Reviews (2 497)
2 497 results
All reviews the river club room the main hotel eton bridge windsor castle station car park lovely hotel afternoon tea through secret escapes valet parking old building lovely room weekend break town centre stayed for one night full english brasserie
Selected filters
34 - 39 of 2 497 reviews
Reviewed 30 May 2021 via mobile

Dated room and a disappointing breakfast lead to seeing as over priced for the service provided. Wouldn’t return and wouldn’t recommend to others. It’s positive feature is lovely view of the river with its position of you select and pay for a room that side.

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank ElisabethM1735
Lesley Denyer, Guest Services / Front Office at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2021

Dear ElisabethM1735

Thank you for reviewing the hotel following your recent stay, although of course I am sorry that your experience was so disappointing.

As you know we are not a purpose built hotel, all of our rooms which are across numerous buildings, vary in size, shape, decor, fixtures and furnishings. We provide a wide selection of photographs and descriptions on our website to convey that we are a unique property offering quirky accommodation. The hotel is annually, independently inspected and we have once again, retained our four star rating. I am sorry if your felt your accommodation was dated and that breakfast was disappointing.

It is always sad to receive negative feedback and I am sorry that you feel unable to return or to recommend us, this is certainly not how we want our guests to feel.

On a positive note, I am pleased that you loved our location on the river. thank you again for sharing your feedback.

Reviewed 25 May 2021

This was a special treat with friends we don’t see very often for her birthday 50th . Rooms were shabby , welcome abrupt , food and service very amateur , the waiter had no idea what food they had , 5 choices of wine all unavailable . It’s like they had no idea they were opening. Totally unprepared . Dinner came out wrong and Luke warm , waiter said chef having issues ! Breakfast came wrong three times , chef still struggling. The hospitality ind should be gagging to get people coming back . I’d never go here again wrote them an e mail before I wrote this to give them a chance to explain or maybe offer a discounted return . Their reply was HR will speak to the relevant people but nothing the manager could or would do. That’s service for you !

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank RapI_12

Dear Rapl_12

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay to celebrate a friends 50th Birthday.

I am sorry that your stay fell below your expectations and that despite our direct email dialog I was unable to offer any monetary recompense nor a suitable apology to appease your disappointment.

I can assure you that after the long months of lockdown, our team have been looking forward to welcoming back all of our guests, residents and non-residents. Our team have and are working extremely hard to deliver our usually high level of four star service and hospitality.

Once again thank you for your candour, I am sad that you would never return, but thank you for sharing your detailed feedback directly and online.

Reviewed 25 May 2021

We stayed here for a SPA weekend, but due to civid the spa was closed. no where did it say this on the Booking .c om page. Then the service from staff in the bar and at the breakfast was very defensive. I can only assume they get a lot of people complaining, Its a shame because the room was good, and the location was perfect, a little bit of work would make this place as advertised. I can only assume they are driving costs hard and the staff are run ragged as a result.

1  Thank 137garethp

Dear 137garethp

Thank you for taking the time to review The Sir Christopher Wren following your recent stay.

Belatedly, I can only apologise that the Spa was closed during your stay. We have had to alter and change numerous facilities and services at the hotel, following the pandemic. We have made every effort to be transparent with this information and all internal changes. I am sorry if your could not see the information regarding the Spa closure on the third party booking site. This information was also on our hotel/company website and was also embedded in our pre-stay emails. All third party booking websites should have been advising their clients of our changes/closures.

Our staff should always be polite, professional and helpful, I am sorry if this was not your experience, please accept my apologies on behalf of the onsite service team.

It is always disappointing to receive negative feedback, especially when you liked your accommodation and thought our location on the River Thames was perfect.

Thank you again for sharing you feedback, I only wish your stay had been a more positive one.

Reviewed 22 May 2021

We have stayed at the Christopher wren many times and have always been overjoyed howere this time wasnt the best, the service for drinks and the breakfast was crazy slow, we were informed at breakfast that each table get allocated 30min, it took 35 min to be asked what we wanted even though we were asking someon to take our order many times, everyone running round like busy fools. This wont deter us from returing but blaming staff shortages as the issue isnt what i expect, if i short paid there would be an issue!
Hopefully this will improve before our next visit

2  Thank Paul M

Dear Paul M

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, following your recent stay.

I am pleased to see that you are a regular, returning guest but I am sad that on this occasion we failed to meet our usually high standards.

Since re-opening to leisure guests on 17 May 2021, we have experienced high levels of occupancy and demand from non-residents. We are of course working to the current Covid regulations and this has challenged our team, especially in our Food & Beverage department. To try and deliver a better service we have made changes to our standard operating procedures during the past few weeks. I can only apologise that during your stay service was erratic and slow. Since your stay, we have re-introduced a smaller, hot breakfast buffet, to try and alleviate the pressure of service of this important.

I am sorry that we did not deliver the same level of service which you had experienced on previous visits, however I am delighted to note our recent shortfalls, will not deter you from returning.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back and to delivering our usually high, four star standard of service and hospitality.

Reviewed 21 May 2021

We requested when booking (if possible) a table under cover but when we arrived, nothing had been reserved and neither had we been informed that such a table would not be reserved. So we had to sit in the rain for the majority of our visit which considering we had booked in advance, is quite disappointing. I would like to have been informed that a table could not be reserved, because with the weather as it was I would have hoped we could have rearranged. On the day, we couldn't rearrange as we would have lost our deposit!!! A simple phone call or email telling us no table undercover would have been polite.

I ordered 'afternoon cream tea' with the waitress and we were asked whether we had any allergies etc. My friend mentioned that she was vegetarian so no meat in the sandwiches for her. But that she could eat cheese and eggs.... However, after quite a while, we were given a plate with scones and two small cakes on it. No sandwiches at all! I asked where the sandwiches were and was told we’d ordered ‘cream tea’ rather than ‘afternoon cream tea’! This was not the case so we had to repeat that we’d asked for ‘afternoon cream tea’ and even mentioned that we’d said no meat in one set of sandwiches!!!! Why would we mention meat if we only wanted cakes? After another 10 minutes, we did then get the ‘afternoon cream tea’ and the waitress mentioned that she had only just checked my reservation... which would indicate she had not checked beforehand regarding a table under cover!!

After we had sat in the rain for about an hour, we were finally moved under the pergola but feel we could have been moved under long before then as other people had just got up and moved themselves as soon as the rain had started! We had been told we would be moved if a space became available! Being polite people, we had waited our turn. We should probably have asked to speak to the manager but what could he/she have done to help the situation?

Having paid over £50 for a celebratory cream tea, I do not feel the level of service has lived up to my expectation. When emailing to tell this to customer services, I received an apology and was told I should have asked to speak to the manager on the day! We may then have received a complimentary beverage apparently!! Not what we would have wanted - any more to drink in the rain!!! And we were told we may have moved earlier - that's just what I wanted to hear.

Dear Debsieh

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the Terrace for Afternoon Tea.

Belatedly, I can only apologise that your visit failed to meet your expectations.

There is always a Manager on duty and we would urge our guests to immediately highlight any shortfalls in our service or standards so that we can immediately try and rectify them, offer alternatives and to try and ensure that our guests/clients are happy.

Sadly, despite our direct email communication, I have been unable to appease your disappointment.

I am sorry that despite our best intentions we failed to deliver the special afternoon which you had looked forward to.

Thank you again for sharing your detailed comments.