“Cosy and welcoming”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Love this pub, staff are always so friendly and welcoming. Drinks are always high quality. They have a good rotation of ales and larger. Always a good visit.

Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

Well l can honestly say that I’ve never had better service than here before. I’m a vegetarian and I’m gluten free which is most places nightmares but the manager did absolutely everything to make sure I was looked after. He was so lovely and I will definitely recommend this to all my friends and family. Thank you for giving me exactly what l needed, great beer, great food and great service

Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

Stopped in for lunch It was super delicious, I think the menu is new by the looks of things. Had a delicious King prawn tortellini with a nice Sauv Blanc! (NZ I think?) As ever, the staff where on point and my partner enjoyed her beer. A lovely little experience all round.

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

Went recently and took my elderly mother for dinner. A long and painful story but main points as follows:
Inconsistent info about when the kitchen is open
Ordered dinner in usual way of first and main course. My mother wanted a desert later and was told the kitchen had closed.

Invited to write letter of complaint which we did and to this date some weeks later still no response.

Overall very poor and sadly won’t be either recommending or going back

HeronBrearleyPubs, Marketing Coordinator at East of Arcadia, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2018

Hi there Alison D

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your feedback of your recent visit to the East of Arcadia.

I am disappointed to hear your letter of complaint has gone unanswered as this is not in line with our usual high standards. Please can you email me at feedback@hb.im with full details of complaint so we can look into this further.

Kind regards
Lauren
Marketing Coordinator

Reviewed 4 May 2018 via mobile

I was pretty disappointed with my most recent visit. I've eaten here before (a saturday night in march) and had a great meal - fish and chips were done really well and portions were generous.
However this time (a Tuesday night) I was told after ordering the chicken schnitzel that this dish wasn't coming out right and will be taken off the menu (I assumed that's what the table of 6 near us were being refunded for). So I changed my order to fish and chips as I knew that was good.
Unfortunately the chips were under-done as they were large wedges, there was no tartare sauce (which is part of the meal according to the menu) and the mushy peas were dry and quite possibly just mashed garden peas. Fish was ok.
I felt a bit petty asking for £1.25 back (fish and chips were cheaper than the schnitzel I'd originally paid for), so I didn't. Nobody asked how our food was. My sister was only visiting for one night and I didn't want to be asking for refunds and causing an issue like the other table were. It would have spoilt our evening, and she said her salad was fine.
I feel like this decline in standards is either because of a chef leaving or maybe they only have one in for the busier nights? The lady in the kitchen was someone I usually see behind the bar.
If there is no chef or not enough ingredients to make the meals, this should be made clear when food orders are made. Either shut the kitchen or tell us what actually is available, so customers have the choice to eat elsewhere.
East is good for drinking- I like that it is quieter than Alfred's.. unfortunately I won't be eating here again!

MarketTownTaverns, Marketing Coordinator at East of Arcadia, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2018

Hi there Jo M

Thank you for taking the time to write such detailed feedback, although I am sorry to learn of your disappointment.

Unfortunately, last Tuesday we had to bring in an agency chef due to sickness and they struggled to produce our Chicken Schnitzel to our usual high standards. With this in mind, we were unhappy at serving below-par Schnitzel and stopped serving it that evening.

Our Fish & Chips are served with hand cut chips but I am disappointed to learn they were under-done. There is no excuse for the missing tartare sauce and I am sorry for the dry mushy peas. Here at East, we cook every dish to order using the freshest of ingredients and I am sorry this was not reflected in your recent visit. We always look to check how our customers find their meals so any issues can be rectified and I am sorry you were not given this chance.

There is nothing petty about asking for the £1.25 refund as that is what you were rightly due and I would be grateful if you could email me at feedback@hb.im so we can rectify this.

I hope this experience has not put you off returning to East of Arcadia for a meal as I understand from your previous visits, you know the high standards of food quality we are capable of achieving.

Kind regards