“Amazing kitty cafe in Leeds”
Review of Kitty Cafe Leeds

Kitty Cafe Leeds
Ranked #1 611 of 2 281 Restaurants in Leeds
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

This was purely amazing. I couldn't fault anything. The staff were lovely,the food was very nice and the cats where brilliant. All the cats ans kittens looked so well cared for which is obvious to see, The space for them to move around was outstanding. All the people with bad reviews are just pure ridiculous. There are rules in place for a reason an people should respect that, I looked up about the cafe first so I knew there was a £6 fee. Cat food dont come cheap so I think thats a fair price, And the people that are too tight to pay, just dont go thats what I say. I think its a wonderful idea, for a good cause, and for people who love cats. I cant praise it enough.

1  Thank Lauraine B

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Shocked by the 'welfare charge' of £6.00 per adult before you even enter the café. Then asked to read list of rules and sign to say you had read them.Feel a bit sorry for the cats. They just wanted to stay out of the way of the customers. Food was average, had to ask waitress to take our food order which is not good when you are on time restriction.

1  Thank Maz0603
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

I booked for my mums birthday, she loves cats and thought it would be a real treat. Before we even walked in it cost me £26 for 5 people!!!,a welfare charge apparently - I wouldn't have minded paying a welfare charge for the cats but it should be option and up to you how much you pay. Just ridiculous! We were then bombarded with a long list of rules!
Once we entered the cafe, the first thing we were told is that we only had 1 hour from the start of our booking time, bearing in mind we had spent at least 10 minutes at the front desk. It then took another 10 minutes to order. By the time our order arrived we had about 30 minutes to eat our food! The food was average and our order was not taken correctly, my children were still eating their cakes, which the staff had forgotten to write on our order, when we were being asked to leave by a rude young lady who actually told me my children could eat their cakes out in the street.
All in all an awful experience and would not go again. The only good thing was the cats, they were gorgeous. However after spending nearly £60,for a terrible experience, I would recommend visiting your local cats home, they probably need the funds more.

2  Thank Glc7812
Reviewed 19 June 2018

I was really excited to visit the Kitty Cafe Leeds having visited a similar venue in Manchester a few months ago which was a very enjoyable experience. However, as soon as I arrived I realised that this was not a similar set up.

Firstly I was asked for a £6 welfare charge. When I asked what it was for the owner advised me it was to feed the cats, which made me wonder what they are eating?! A 'welfare' charge of £6 pp per hour will be bringing in over £90,000 of revenue a month. I'm not sure the owners of this venue can justify this charge. Even if they were feeding the cats premium cat food it would not cost £90k per month to feed fifteen or so cats... So this 'welfare charge' is actually a very manipulative way of making a steep amount of pure profit for the owners.

This leads me onto my next issue with the set up.

Kitty Cafe seem to want people to think they are a charity - which they are not. They are a limited company, and despite having donation boxes on counters and claiming to rehome cats evidence of this within the cafe is very minimal.

Whilst in the cafe I counted 6 pedigree cats, 4 of which were kittens , all of which cost over £500 each and are not rescue cats? This I found confusing.

I then approached a member of staff to ask how many cats they had in the cafe - she did not know - this I found very strange. I also asked what happened to the cats at night and she said she did not know - which is even more worrying. I can only assume that they are locked away in the cages I saw in the back room as soon as it hits 5pm and they don't come out again until 9am the following day - as they do not have staff working 24 hours like they do at the cafe in Manchester.

At this point I still wanted to give kitty cafe the benefit of the doubt so I approached a member of staff to ask about adopting one their rescue cats. I know they advertise that the cats in the cafe are available for adoption, but the staff member I spoke to said none of the cats were available for adoption as they were all 'residents'.

It seems kitty cafe want customers to think they are a cat rehoming charity, when in fact they are a ruthless money making machine that have zero integrity and little respect for the discerning customers of Leeds city centre.

As an animal behaviourist, I could see that the cats were stressed. Two of them hissed and scratched each other, and there is no space available for them to get away from customers if need be. Since children of all ages are allowed into the cafe I also saw toddlers and babies grabbing cats.

If you want a lesson in how not to set up a cat cafe, visit here, because anybody could do a better job.

It is clear that the staff and owners have no genuine love or appreciation for the animals and I personally found this not only sad, but distressing.

I am positive within the next 12 months this company will be out of business as they have much stronger competitors within the market and their business model of "fake charity" is highly flawed and misleading.

14  Thank markswanson68
Reviewed 12 June 2018

The cats were charming and entertaining and all the visitors, both adult and children were sensible.Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, including the staff.The decor was bright and imaginative and the pizza was excellent. I appreciated the rules.I suggest every visitor prints off a copy before visiting.