“Tastebuds still tingling 👅”
Review of The Wilderness

The Wilderness
Ranked #30 of 2 475 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$66 - US$131
Description: Currently closed for refurbishment to a new site to re-open April. Multi-course menus of whatever is available to us from the British Isles. Modern British dining driven by nature, memory & place.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We headed off from the lights of the big city and headed into the Wilderness. I can honestly say this restaurant needs a Mitchellen star. It was far the best meal I’ve ever had. We had the taster menu. It did not disappoint. Beautiful amuse bouche. The Big Mac was exquisite.
Please visit. We waited 10 weeks before we got a table on Saturday evening.
I haven’t stopped raving about this place.
The quails Brest was sublime.

1  Thank bexstar22

Reviewed 28 June 2018

We have been looking to try The Wilderness for months and with the move to the Jewellery Quarter we thought we must book. I looked at the TA reviews and, as you can see yourself, the vast majority of diners love the place. So then I looked at the negative comments. Some say it is dark; some say the music is loud or not to their liking. Both criticisms are absolute tosh.
The most amazing thing about this restaurant is the food. It is incredible! The flavours are really intense and each course is lovingly described by a knowledgeable server. Try asking them a question about the cooking process - I bet they will know the answer.
We love Purnells, Simpsons, Adams, etc. and now we love The Wilderness too. It's different from the established fine dining restaurants but still a great experience. The decor might be a little moody; and the music makes your foot tap rather than relax you, but it is a great night. Try it.
If I had to pick a fault, it would be the position of the pendant lights. It would be perfect if they were positioned over the centre of the tables rather than partially over the inner diner. (Does that say more about me than the restaurant?)

1  Thank tp1904
Reviewed 28 June 2018

There are quite a lot of limitations to your choice as a diner here. Lunch time and it’s a fixed tasting menu only. The wine list is limited apparently they focus more on cocktails but couldn’t put together a non alcoholic pairing. Even with all these restrictions lunch for two with one drinks pairing along with one glass of house champagne a cocktail and coffee reached £193.50 which we though was a lot for what we got. We appreciate that there were elements of the food that were artistic and the service was friendly but for us the choices were too restrictive. It would be nice if the Menu was available on there own web site

5  Thank Darren W
wildernessb5, Owner at The Wilderness, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2018

Me too Darren, me too. Thanks for adding to your partner's review - I am sorry that for both of you this wasn't the right experience to suit your tastes.

We choose to offer a fixed tasting menu - available at two lengths - because that allows us to focus on the best possible quality and a cohesive collection of dishes. I've toyed with a la carte but it just isn't a format that suits what we do - there's some great restaurants in the city that do a la carte dining and there's some great ones that don't.

I'm sorry you couldn't have a non-alcoholic pairing - sadly, we just haven't found the demand to offer a non-alcoholic flight and we don't just throw anything together. As and when we do, it will be planned, tested and refined.

You enjoyed two extended seven course taster menus (upgrading from the standard lunch menu), had a full drinks flight of 6 drinks, a glass of champagne and a coffee. With the greatest respect, the bill is as expensive as you make of it. We don't strong-arm guests and we don't upsell - the menu is structured to allow guests to enjoy lunch and a drink from £50 per person. I'm delighted you chose to enjoy the works and then some, but it seems a bit daft to decry a bill when you ordered the most premium choices available to you.

The menu is now available on our website (we've had it recently redesigned and agree it's good to share what we do there too) and we are very honest about what we do on social media etc. I'm sorry that perhaps this wasn't the right venue for you - wish you well in your future dining adventures.

Warm wishes
Alex

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

We decided to treat ourselves, due to hearing such amazing reviews.
We wasn’t disappointed either. The food was absolutely to die for.
M favourite restaurant in Birmingham. Can not sing your praises enough.

3  Thank judycharmers_11
Reviewed 25 June 2018

Saturday lunch and we arrived 15 minutes early. We were left standing at the entrance for several embarrasing minutes. Shown to our table by one of a number of helpfull front of house members. Asked for a glass of rose Champagne but they had none in fact they only had one Champagne full stop. Even at lunch there is only a tasting menu which we ordered along with one wine flight. For the driver we asked for a non alcoholic version but they could not accommodate. Still the food was good although a couple of dishes were a little over seasoned for us. There is rock music playing at a fair old volume which along with the interior ambience is more pub than restaurant. Sadly all feels a bit amateurish. Still a fair old bill though.

3  Thank emmz1981a

Hi Emmz

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed our food and sorry that the rest of the experience was less to your taste.

We offer a variety of sparkling wines at different price points - but I will take on board your request for rose champagne. It's not something I'm a huge fan of (I don't think it offers value for money for the diner nor restaurant) we will always look at our wine programme in line with feedback.

Similarly, sadly there is just not the demand for a non-alcoholic flight in our experience. We don't just throw together anything we do - and as and when we introduce this, it will be designed, refined and perfected alongside everything else we do.

I reckon it's dead unfair to decry amateurish an experience that just wasn't to your taste. I'm hugely glad that the restaurant doesn't look like a traditional fine dining environment - I was aiming for my favourite bar in New York but I'll take pub. We look to offer something different and distinctive - it's not for everyone and other dining experiences are available in this great city.

Finally, the bill is what you make it - our lunch menu is £40 per head which, given the quality of produce, I think is great value for money. You chose the extended menu (extending to 7 courses), a full drinks flight of six drinks, a cocktail and to order champagne by the glass. Certainly, it's possible to spend a fair deal but we don't hold a gun to anyone's head and force them onto the champers.

Warm wishes