“Lovely hotel”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #974 of 2 439 Restaurants in Birmingham
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We were at a conference here so decided to stay.What a beautiful ,well maintained hotel.Breakfast was perfect .Staff friendly and helpful

Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

Probably one of the best fillet steaks I have had in the UK.
Staff excellent and attentive.
Home made tomato soup with cheesy croutons were superb.
Well done!!

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

We arrived for check in at 2pm as per booking. Reception advised us we could have a ‘teeny’ room or wait for a better sized double! We waited. The room was lovely and spotlessly clean. Sadly due to a fan/air conditioning unit located pretty close to our bed, which kicked off every 20 minutes, a full nights sleep was not possible. Secondly the bathroom light also turned on the light in the bedroom. Trying to use the bathroom during the night was only possible with the use of an iPhone. I could have turned the bathroom light on but this would have been at the expense of lighting up the bedroom where my partner was sleeping. It was a shame to have a lovely room in a fab location but to feel that sleep was not going to possible it was early doors for us

Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

I stayed here for one night in February. I paid £89 for a double room and no breakfast included. This is obviously more expensive than other nearby hotels but I happily paid due to the 4 star status. On arrival I was very rudely told to come back after 2pm and that my bags would not be held for me. On returning to check in at around 11pm, the room was nothing short of a disgrace for the money paid.
There was no double bed, instead 2 small single beds of different heights that we had to push together. We might as well have not had them pushed together as we were completely separate throughout the night as the height difference between beds meant there was a physical barrier to rolling over!
The bathroom smelt damp and the towels were saturated with water. The mirror had a huge crack through it and did not look safe. There were no tea or coffee facilities available, meaning we had to go and purchase our own refreshments in the morning. Definitely not what you would expect from a 4 star hotel! The price did not even include coffee or breakfast, although having spoken to other customers, the breakfast sounded as poor quality as the rooms so we may have had a lucky escape.
When we went to check out in the morning we waited for over 15 minutes and no staff were at the front desk at all. We eventually got fed up and just left the room key on the desk and left. We immediately contacted the manager, explaining that we paid a premium for a double bed and tea and coffee facilities and received neither. I said we were not happy at all with the room or service. After over a week of continually calling and emailing and not getting a response, I was finally told that if I paid another £100 for a room then I could have an upgrade and that the service would be better!
Insulted does not even cover it!
Avoid this hotel like the plague!!

Reviewed 6 January 2018

We travelled to Birmingham on the train for a post-Christmas day out. Explored the nearby Markets also discovered the railway gem that is Moor Street Station. Rounded the day off with an evening meal here. I chose from the £25 3 course menu - a starter of smoked salmon followed by a main course of roast turkey finishing with gorgonzola cheese and biscuits which was all excellent. My wife chose from the a-la-carte, a starter of leek and potato croquettes followed by the Butchers Cut steak and fries. She declared it was one of the best steaks she had ever tasted! Many thanks to Jonathan and his team for super service - and we were in time to catch our train home!