“Disappointing ”

Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We came here to celebrate our engagement. I was very pleased with the service before we arrived in terms of our our booking.
However as soon as we arrived my partner grumbled that the first thing we saw was a bar full of dirty glasses - literally no exaggeration. I tried not to let that bother me but added to the other things overall I was left wishing we had gone elsewhere.
The main problem was the service which was painfully slow. We had the 7 course tasting menu and at one point we waited 20 minutes between courses and had to actually ask for the next course. I initially felt disappointed that we didn’t have the 10 course menu but was actually glad in the end.
That said, the food was very nice but overall it wasn’t worth the extended delays - we did not leave a tip at all which I would never usually do but felt we should mark our dissatisfaction.
I have eaten at Michelin star restaurants before and had a number of tasting menu experiences so I appreciate that it is a journey and not to be rushed but there was no momentum, it was too start/stop for it to be a journey.

Claire L, Public Relations Manager at Purnell's, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Thank you very much for your comments.
There are two sides to every story, and we believe that some of your points are fabricated.
Regards,
Claire at Purnell's

Write a ReviewReviews (1 617)

19 - 23 of 1 617 reviews

Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

Beautiful meal in deed. Food amazing. Staff very attentive and happy to advice when needed. Lovely set menu. It is always a choice. The salted crust bread with butter is to die for. Love coming here. Will return soon xx

1  Thank shellybham

Thank you so much, Shelly!
We get so many lovely comments regarding the bread and butter.
We'll look forward to seeing you again soon.
Best wishes,
Claire

Reviewed 18 June 2018

Birthday treat for my wife last week. We chose the '10 years in the making' menu. This ten course extravaganza samples some of Glyn Purnell's best dishes. The evening exceeded both our expectations. Lovely staff and spectacular food. This really was a feast for both the eyes and a super evening out. Definitely planning to return.

2  Thank Scarlet-Pimpernel100
Reviewed 18 June 2018

Absolutely Amazing, cant wait to return to this Beautiful Restaurant.

Sonal & his Team made us feel like we were Royalty, they were there just at the right moment and delivered the best service We think We have ever experienced. The wine choices were spot on with every course, the Lamb Sweetbreads were delicious however the Wiltshire pork belly dish with broad beans, black pudding & pigs trotters was the dish for me.

We are so looking forward to returning in the very near future.

All the best & Many Thanks Again.

Adrian & Jackie

1  Thank adrianclaridge
Reviewed 17 June 2018

Had an event to go to in Birmingham so decided to try herevtoo
The restaurant is set away from the melee that is the Bullring. It’s beautifully decorated and the music is perfect.
We chose the journey taster menu, as a fan of Chef for years I was delighted to see the fact that he hasn’t lost his roots nor his sense of humour. We were totally baffled in a good way how two of the courses were created, the egg “white” was unbelievable but amazing, and never have I tasted monk fish as sort and succulent.
Every course was stunningly presented, exceptional flavours and oh so pretty
Staff are interested and attentive, meal started off a little rapidly but slowed appropriately as the courses developed.
Loved the playful hand towels DONT EAT THEM.
Great photo of the man too.
Wonderful gastronomic experience, well worth the trip
Toilets were very clean and the walkway to it quite beautiful too.

3  Thank Hoppityskip