“I would have expected much more ”

Tap & Spile Restaurant
Ranked #81 of 2 463 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$4 - US$25
Cuisines: Pizza, British, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Tap & Spile Food in Birmingham is situated by the canal and dates back to 1821. If you enjoy a pint in the 'Old Style' setting then the Tap & Spile is without doubt Birmingham's number one traditional pub & restaurant As well as enjoying many of our traditional ales on offer we also serve 'lovely restaurant style food with quality service and a warm welcome guaranteed. Tap & Spile Birmingham cater for a unique seating arrangement for lunch or evening meal besides the famous Birmingham Canal. Our Canal Side seating cater for upto 40 seats in total. Most of the time these seats are in high demand due to its spectacular views and people are therefore encouraged to pre-book your Canal Side table before you come to help avoid disappointment.
Reviewed 4 July 2018 via mobile

It was almost empty and j thought: ok I'll have a quick dinner and made order for a steak and a pudding, I waited more than 30 minutes while they looked like they were closing finally someone came to me asking if I was waiting.. ..and I said yes I ordered a steak and they answer it's on its way and came with it 2 minutes after...it was almost cold as they probably prepared and didn't know who ordered it...same story for the pudding which I have to say very poor quality ice cream and sticky toffee pudding...the steak was ok but cold.
not going again

1  Thank andrea n n

Reviewed 3 July 2018

Stopped here for a refreshing drink as temperature was in the 30's and had been walking around the city all day. Nice choice of drinks and not overpriced. Sat outside next to canal, but beware!!!!! Some bloke divebombed under my table and tried to snatch my shopping and although there were lots of people sat near me, no one tried to help me! Bit discouraging as this was in broad daylight at approx. 2.30 pm! Been to Birmingham loads of times and this is the first time I have ever had anything like this happen!

Reviewed 1 July 2018 via mobile

Managed to bag a seat outside to have a drink. Was a beautiful day and it was nice to be sitting on the shady side of the canal. My partner said that his beer was one of the best kept beers he’d had in ages. Praise indeed! We’ll definitely go back.

Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

Loved the pub setting, right on the canal with big open windows or you can sit outside and people watch.

Staff were very friendly and attentive though was a little disappointed that the menu was rather standard.

Group had pizzas, burger and chicken and pizzas were definitely the best - home cooked with lovely toppings. Not many chips with the burger and chicken given the prices but everything was very well cooked and no complaints. (The mixed grill someone else had looked phenomenal!!)

Well worth a look on a sunny day to watch the world go by.

Reviewed 29 June 2018

We visited the Tap and Spile with our son and his girlfriend on a Groupon I purchased. The bar is sited on the Birmingham canal network between Broad Street and the Mailbox. We elected eat inside as there were four of us and the tables outside may be a bit cramped. The service was very attentive and welcoming. The food was fine and the drinks were good. Various pub grub dishes....mexican burger, fish and chips, steak and ale pie all hit the mark with nicely fresh cooked chips. We ordered two sides...a nice salad and the really very good battered onion rings which I highly recommend and very good value. All in all a very enjoyable meal in a pub on a good location. The front of house staff were really friendly and welcoming especially the lady from Peru !