See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 February 2018 via mobile

Second time I have had lunch here and was not disappointed. The food was excellent and this time had the recommended wine to go with each course well worth every penny . None of the four of us left a morsel

Stayed: February 2018
Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

We like to eat at fine dining and Michelin restaurants. This was a wonderful experience
Cannot be faulted
Staff were really very friendly. had a personal touch too.
Very comfortable ambience
Delicious food and amazing taste experience
Highly recommended
Will be going again

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Our room was beautifully decorated and exceptionally clean. Staff were exceedingly attentive to our every need. The restaurant was very modern and stylish in design, clean colours and sharp lines. Front of house staff were immaculately desssed, with male staff trying to outdo each other in their striking attire.
As for the food, it was exquisite!! A cacophony of tastes in every single bite. The little 'in-between' courses were as exciting as the main dishes. Particular mention for the young female chef who presented the mango sorbet, which I can say without question, was the most wonderful sorbet I have ever tasted. The Margaux was so perfect,we had two for our party of five
Breakfast was equally as pleasurable, with freshly made granola, croissants and squeezed oranges. Excellent!!
Pity the grumpy chef who was blocking a car parking space wouldn't move his Mercedes and got his junior staff to move their vehicle which was if no use, wasn't more amenable. Perhaps if I bring my Bentley next time he may be more receptive. First impressions count!
Still, let not this little misadventure taint the overall wonderfulness of this restaurant and hotel
Just marvellous!! Thank you

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2017

Visited Simpsons last night for dinner and an overnight stay and was impressed enough to leave my first ever review on TripAdvisor. The food was fantastic, the room was great, the service was excellent, the staff were all lovely and everything went very smoothly from the initial booking to checking out. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Have been trying Michelin starred places on every wedding anniversary and the odd other special occasion for a few years now and often found some minor fault with the typical problems of high-end restaurants and hotels, i.e. the condition of the place itself (the building, fittings or uniforms of the staff can be a bit ratty/rubbish) and/or the attitude of the staff (fawning or condescension/contempt-inspiring pretension). Things that wouldn't necessarily bother you (or happen) anywhere else, become an issue, especially given the financial layout. Simpsons had none of those issues, my grumpy-sod-o-meter didn't even flicker once.

All the staff we met were smart, friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating, especially what I guess was the maître d' and/or sommelier, our waiter and the lady with the wonderful telephone voice who handled the booking.

The building was stylish, very clean and well maintained. They seemed to be nearing the end of a refit/refurbishment but any tools, equipment or materials were tidy and squared away. In the restaurant, there's plenty of space between the tables so the staff can move around easily and diners don't disturb each other. The furniture is new and comfortable (btw, if your restaurant does have rickety antique wooden furniture, I guarantee you there's a talented carpenter within driving distance that could seamlessly fix it for next to nothing and save you the risk of a law suit when some landed ponce eventually loses the tip of a finger). The food was all delicious, I had the quail for a starter and loved that especially. The courses all arrived at what felt like exactly the right moment.

The room was beautifully furnished, everything actually worked and nothing was bewildering - so in the bathroom, there was no gurgling of a barely post-war plumbing system before you could get hot water (it was instant) or any futuristic motion-sensitive nonsense that might be a tap or a soap dispenser or a toilet flush or a really poorly designed coathook - there was a pair of full-size sinks under a big mirror (you could easily shave here without having to contort your neck and elbows around sharp oak fretwork so old it's probably haunted or craning into a harshly lit space-age alcove), a really nice shower, a toilet, heated towel rail and decent toiletries. The room was very quiet given the building's location, we were on the second floor at the front of the building and couldn't hear much noise at all from the building at night (e.g. air-con, heating). The room key is an actual key rather than a card and it isn't attached to a dog toy or a wooden fruit.

I'd told them it was our anniversary (they'd asked if the visit was for an occasion). When we arrived, we were wished a happy anniversary, there were (delicious) cakes waiting in the room with a little 'Happy Anniversary' note, some well-wishing in the room's information folder and another treat at the end of dinner. I know lots of places do that sort of thing, but it's usually underdone (like a crap spouse nipping to the 24-hour garage for flowers/chocolates) or overblown and embarrassing (there's no reason why other diners should give a monkey's that it's your anniversary/birthday/whatever). This series of small events was the personal touch done right.

That was all a bit gushing so I feel like I should find some things to nitpick at. Just a couple more bottled ales on the otherwise excellent drinks menu would be nice - e.g. a lighter sub-4% type ale for lunch, or for people like me who've arrived with a bit of a headache and want to stay off the wine. In the room, my wife mentioned that a small free-standing mirror on the surface by the bathroom sink would be useful for people who wear makeup and aren't tall enough to lean over the sink.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2017 via mobile

Once again I returned to simpsons for a fantastic Sunday lunch , it's a great location the main dinning room over looking the gardens . The weather was on our side so we were able to sit outside on the terrace and enjoy a prelunch drink.the food was beautiful great flavours and textures . Service was excellent especially our waiter Ashley who was professional and very knowledgeable about the food and the cheeses we enjoyed at the end of our meal . Superb service we shall return .

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends