“Good choice of food with pleasant staff”
Review of Fumo

Fumo
Ranked #288 of 2 498 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Fumo was launched in June 2012 and is part of the award-winning San Carlo Group which operates outstandingly successful, modern Italian restaurants throughout the UK. They include venues in Birmingham, Bristol, Leicester, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool and the legendary Signor Sassi opposite Harrods in London's fashionable Knightsbridge Green - now in its 28th year. San Carlo also has a portfolio of stunning Signor Sassi restaurants in capital cities across the World which currently include Kuwait, Beirut and Bangkok. The independent, family-owned business was founded in Birmingham in 1984 by Carlo Distefano and is recognised for its superb freshly prepared regional food, impeccable service and lively, friendly atmosphere. Each week the best quality ingredients are bought from the markets in Milan to ensure Carlo's high standards, passion and insistence to 'never compromise on quality' are maintained. San Carlo Group restaurants epitomise all that is best in genuine Italian hospitality. Traditionally Italian.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I called her on spec and the restaurant was very quite, but it was a Thursday lunchtime.
The menu was varied and the theme is more of an Italian tapas serving, which turned out to be very tasty.
The atmosphere was pleasant and the premises were very clean along with the well presented and courteous staff. A pleasure to have dined here, thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 241)

41 - 45 of 1 241 reviews

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

Four people for a quick lunch. The waiter was asked to put together two plates of assorted small plates. The restaurant took advantage of the request and delivered far too much food for a light lunch , easily enough for twice as many people and charged accordingly. !!!!!
Over £60 per head for lunch with only 2 glasses of wine between us, you decide!!
The monk fish skewer smelt and tasted awful, it had obviously gone off.
We did not complain because the at the time it wasn't appropriate , but i will never return.

1  Thank paul w
Reviewed 19 June 2018

Quick, mini eats to make up a meal or order a full course but always good and confident knowledgeable staff.

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

We enjoy going here for a drink and soaking up the great atmosphere in the evenings. As for the restaurant you are sitting on top of each other and if you get a table near the bar the drinkers are constantly bumping in to your table. The food is a tapas take on Italian food which is ok.

Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

Having been recommended this restaurant we were sadly disappointed! We had a sharing fish platter to start which was very nice and reasonably priced. Then we both ordered ribeye steak with sweet potatoes, to be presented with the worst steak I’ve ever been given. 60% fat and gristle!! The staff were very attentive and asked a total of 5 times ‘is everything ok’, each time they were told - no “actually, this steak is really fatty”, and to have our table cleared of side dishes we still had left - ive paid for the bread so please do not take the plate away until I have eaten the bread!!! Each time I complained about the steak I was either ignored, or given a look that most people would be made to feel like they should never have said anything in the first place!!! The staff are all twenty somethings - which isn’t a problem, but don’t try and patronise 2 middle aged women who know a bit more about life than the perfect ‘selfie’!
Eventually the ‘manager’ came over - I explained myself yet again, and was told me that the fat was due to the ‘cut’ of the meat. I had to argue yet again when the bill came; to eventually have the bill snatched off the table to be replaced with 30% knocked of the price of 1 steak!!!
I’ve been to ‘lower end’ restaurants and have been made to feel like a motley highly valued customer.
I will not be recommending it and neither will I be returning again!!

3  Thank Karen1036