Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Reviews (3 756)
3 756 results
2 319
2 319
All reviews hotel la tour selfridges car park moor street station modern hotel executive room bull ring afternoon tea city centre walk in shower minute walk fantastic hotel self service new street a lovely stay stayed for one night christmas market saturday night
Selected filters
38 - 43 of 3 756 reviews
Reviewed 9 September 2021 via mobile

Lovely room, great atmosphere in bar/restaurant etc. Beds comfy and lovely big shower. The team were professional and so helpful especially Steven when we left belongings behind in our room and needed to get them back quickly! Thank you so much!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Jessica H, Other at Clayton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2021

Dear Loulead,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, we're delighted you enjoyed our hotel and facilities.

We strive to give all our guests an exceptional experience so reading feedback like this really puts a smile on our faces, I will ensure the team receive your kind words, especially Steven.

Reviewed 8 September 2021

First of all I would like to say that the vast majority of the staff at this hotel are exceptionally helpful & friendly - especially those on the check- in desk.
The hotel has a fantastic central location - within a few yards of the shops and yet we found it to be unaffected by any traffic noise (presume it has excellent double glazing ?). It would be really easy to stay here travelling by train (short walk from the station), and due to the roadworks created by HS2, which have complicated everything in the area, I'd probably say that is your best option if you are simply visiting the city. We had a good DBB deal from Groupon (£99) - though the hotel's own direct rates don't appear to be too bad to be fair. Two lifts are fairly speedy given that you are required not to share with other guests due to COVID, The 2 free glasses of prosecco were also a nice touch.
Our expectations of a 4* hotel were however not entirely met - the rooms were similar to a Premier Inn but in drab beige and dismally dark due to the close proximity to the high rise building across the road. We were allocated the previously reviewed room 510 - it was OK. Carpets and bathroom work surface were still stain BUT this appeared to be due to cleaning product not because they were dirty. The worst aspects of the room were ; the hard pillows (bring your own if you are used to feather pillows), the aircon (which I thought was not recommended during COVID ?) which did not air condition the rooms but acted as a heater and the lack of cleaning & replenishing during our stay (cardboard cups go a bit soggy after 4 uses !- no clean towels - no room cleaning / bed making). I fail to see why this should stop due to COVID when most people are out of their rooms all day ? Maybe its staffing issues so perhaps give them the benefit of the doubt. Whilst the hotel did appear to be complying with COVID regulations we were shocked to see that so many guests were not heeding the advice of the hotel to use hand sanitiser & wear masks in public spaces, This hotel has a nice bar area with a lovely outside terrace. However the outside terrace experience is totally ruined by the fact that it is permitted area for smokers. We had a meal outside one evening but the smell of smoke was disgusting and I don't see why people who don't smoke can't enjoy this outside bar space too ? Surely they could have restricted smoking to the plaza just outside the hotel entrance, just another 30 seconds walk ? As we ate outside it went dark and I had to ask the bar staff three times before they switched the lights on the terrace - we were using our phones to try to read the condiment packets ! Such poor attention to customer well being is really inexcusable in a 4* hotel. However, by far the worse aspect of this hotel is the food & drink. We had the DBB deal so I wasn't expecting a sirloin steak ! However, things did not start well with my starter - skewered prawns on noodles. Well the dish arrived and I have NEVER seen such a meagre serving of food - two skewers, only the size of a pen, with two standard size prawns (as per cocktail prawns, not the large Atlantic king variety) and about an egg cup of noodles. So basically a starter of 4 standard prawns !! I am not exaggerating - yes it is starter but surely it should consist of a bit more than 2 bites (I won't use the word 'mouthful' because that word certainly did not apply to my starter). My next course was salmon - also a huge disappointment as it was clear it had been under a heat lamp with very dry potatoes and overdone salmon. For desert was a weird concoction of jelly (no fruit) ice cream and cream (my husband had the equally weird layered rice pudding fruit & crumble ? The deserts were more leftovers than properly presented culinary creations. Not much better at breakfast where all the hot food was basically cold under the covered lids (bacon was leathery and difficult to cut with a standard knife) and the two freshly poached eggs were raw in the middle. The filter coffee also left a lot to be desired. I have to say though that the cold breakfast selection was a lot better
In conclusion it felt like Premier Inn accommodation with Travelodge food. Please management if you do nothing else take the world's smallest starter off your menu. I appreciate we were being served a "value" menu.... but 4 standard prawns as a starter !! -well that is a serious attempt on a world record for micro starters if ever I saw one ! I am now sad those 4 little prawns died for no reason other than to look a bit pretty on a stick for 30 seconds . Shame on you Clayton !

Room tip: Ask for room at the front as the ones at the back are dismal due to the proximity to other buildings
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 7 September 2021

We stayed here on a secret escapes deal, so while I went to park car in Selfridges car park (not an easy task as involves complicated route at moment) The wife was given key to room top floor. I get call while driving that she is not happy as room not cleaned or ready, so I sent her back to reception, They gave her key to another room 6th floor, this was smaller I believe but was cleaned and ready and very nice. I finally joined her after getting lost walking from car park , you can see the hotel but HS2 gets in the way. The meals were good, but they could be great with a few small tweaks in terms of spices or seasoning. We walked everywhere whilst we were there as location is central and you just did not need car. PS they also have new car pollution laws similar to London so check your car reg out on the website in case you need to pay charges. We would happily stay again, it is a very nice hotel and it could be an excellent hotel if they get the food and service right.

Room tip: At moment HS2 is a building site so view not as good as it will be in 2/3 years
Date of stay: August 2021
Reviewed 4 September 2021

Visited the Clayton hotel for birthday afternoon tea, The venue was absolutely stunning, our waiter Prashant was amazing and made sure he went above and beyond to make the experience. The afternoon tea food was exceptional, lovely atmosphere and customer service. Would definitely recommend and visit again!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Jessica H, Other at Clayton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2021

Dear Ellielouise247,

Thank you for taking the time to share your 5* review about our afternoon tea.

We strive to give all our guests an exceptional experience so reading feedback like this really puts a smile on our faces, I will ensure Prashant receive your kind words.

Reviewed 4 September 2021 via mobile

After staying here last year we didn’t expect much of the restaurant, but this stay has changed our opinion. Had a wonderful meal with brilliant service (thanks to Paulette!) overall a great stay will definitely be returning.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Hannahgilbert123,

I am pleased to hear that you are a returning guest and we have make you change your opinion about our restaurant.

We strive to give all our guests an exceptional experience so reading feedback like this really puts a smile on our faces, I will ensure the team receive your kind words, especially Paulette.