“Great to revisit”

Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery
Ranked #13 of 300 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: From Renaissance masterpieces and cutting edge contemporary art to Egyptian mummies and the iconic HP factory sign, Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery showcases a world class collection and offers fascinating glimpses into Birmingham's rich and vibrant past. Highlights include the finest collection of Pre-Raphaelite art in the world and the largest find of Anglo-Saxon gold ever discovered - the Staffordshire Hoard. Don't miss the Birmingham History Galleries - packed with artefacts, local treasures and interactive displays that reveal captivating stories of Birmingham from the last 500 years.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Always try and get to the M and AG every few years. Very interesting exhibitions this time and the old favourite (pre-raphaelite exhibit) is always a real delight. If you like Burne-Jones make sure you go to St Phillips cathedral around the corner to see the stained glass windows he made in William Morris’s workshops.

Write a ReviewReviews (3 198)
All reviews
"great place to visit"
in 43 reviews

39 - 43 of 3 198 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I had to go to this. Reshuffling my arrangements for the day I turned up for the event. We had to go the long way round to get in the lift because neither of us could manage the stairs. This event was one of many around an exhibition. People from all walks of life were sharing their food stories. We were all asked to write and illustrate our stories then get up and tell the audience. I told about my adventure with a Macaroni cheese pie. First I explained about school cookery lessons which were strange to me, the teasing, ridicule, from pupils and teachers because I did things differently. I explained the different methods of making Macaroni cheese. No white sauce in our house. Then I told of the walk for an 8 year child in a hot country, uphill, with a hot pie. I was in St. Kitts Nevis. Wanting to stop and play but aware that news travel fast and I had limited time to run this errand. Briefly I had stopped to play,
dropped the pie, scooped it up, delivered it and ran home. St. Kitts in the early 60s with unpaved paths, parched ground, standpipes. So different to Birmingham. Telling the story in the Museum with its artefacts and audience from all over the world, the country and local artists, mosaic floors, high ceilings. A beautiful place to hang out. Free, warm, sheltered. Pleasant staff and eating place. The shop offers bits to takeaway Nd remind you of your visit. The Rembrandt may not be for sale but you can buy the book. Print or postcard. With Thier various exhibitions, talks and workshops you can see history in the making. Suitable for everyone it somewhere to go whether it's on your doorstep or a trip away. Unlike some places it is still FREE

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Worth a visit - despite taxi driver claiming not to know where it was....?! Great collections which were well displayed and a magnificent tea room too! Only downside was coinciding with a school visit which made it hard to see some of the paintings. Otherwise, thoroughly enjoyable.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We joined the gallery tour on the theme of Angels on Easter Saturday. It was £3 each. The volunteer guide was welcoming and provided a range of different art works to look at and explain. the tour was longer than advertised which as we had the time was good value.

1  Thank Chris_in_Brum
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The pre-raphaelite collection has been on my wish list for many years and I wasn't disappointed. Some really beautiful paintings, well displayed and well lit.
We visited the museum with 3 young boys age range 6-12 and there was plenty to keep everyone interested from the brilliant Egyptian display to the really interesting, interactive Anglo Saxon hoard room. We spent a happy couple of hours with almost no cries of boredom! Staff were very welcoming and highly informative. Thoroughly recommend.