All reviews complimentary mini bar jewellery quarter boutique hotel lively bar jam house coffee machine the bar restaurant area great shower lovely hotel saturday night city centre after midnight little touches a great nights sleep bars and restaurants barclaycard arena yogurt
Reviewed 16 October 2018

Having read some poor reviews I was reluctant to book a room here, however, after reading the same sort of reviews for all the city centre hotels I had looked at in Birmingham, I decided it must be a thing, to moan about the slightest teeny weeny detail. I took the plunge and booked a superior room for a Friday night. The parking was an additional £12.00 but, remember, you are in the middle of the UKs second largest city and parking comes at a price! However, it was worth it as there was plenty of space and we knew the car was safely parked for our stay. Check in was super quick and the receptionist was friendly. Our room was large and more than adequate for our needs. There is a lovely coffee machine and if you don't like coffee there is an additional kettle (which is a little difficult to fit under the tap, yes, but not that bad!!). The bed was comfortable, it is more than likely a listed building so no double glazing, but the room was warm enough. We had Room 2A which overlooks the rear of the hotel (not pretty) and unfortunately is right over the kitchen aircon/extractor fan, which is very noisy, but does stop over night, until around 6am. The toiletries are in large dispensers and I found them to be very good, shampoo, conditioner, body wash and a hand wash. Limited teabags, sugar etc as someone has already commented but I am sure you could ask for more and anyway I always take my own! The free mini bar is a little pointless to be honest but not moaning, 2 mini bottles of prosecco, 1 bottle of orange juice and a large bottle of water, no milk. Yes it is noisy during the evening in the bar, but it is a bar as well as a hotel in a very popular part of town, but we got served very quickly and we were surprised at how reasonable the prices were! Once we got to our room, even though the music was still playing we couldn't hear it as we were at the back....but remember the aircon/extractor fan! At breakfast we were greeted by a very friendly young lady and ordered our full English, which was very good. The other choices were fine as far as we were concerned. All in all a great and convenient place to stay for a stop over in the centre of Brum. I cannot give it 5 stars as I do feel there were a few little niggles but nothing major and yes, I would return. I don't feel I could have got better at any of the other hotels I had researched.

Room tip: Earplugs, it is a city centre!!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Amy E, Director of Sales at Saint Pauls House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2018

Hi Jules,

What a fantastic review. I am very pleased to hear our staff made your stay pleasant.We are in the process of trying to improve the little niggles you have raised, in respect of providing ear plugs and eye masks due to the point of our hotel been a listed building. The extraction fan outside the room we are now monitoring as to it been turned down when the kitchen is not in use, unfortunately due to us providing room service it cant be turned off completely.

Please do check out our Facebook and twitter pages for promotions that you maybe interested in.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 15 October 2018

We stayed at the St Paul’s House Hotel on a Saturday night and paid £169.00 for what was described as a Superior room with breakfast in this self-styled “boutique” hotel. In addition, there was a £12.00 charge to park at the rear of the hotel, total cost £181.00. Initially everything looked great, the room was large and appeared well appointed. We quickly realised that there were avoidable deficiencies, the first of which was a lack of hand soap in the bathroom - instead, there were two shampoo dispensers as well as a body wash and a conditioner. Next, we decided to have a cup of tea - you need to fill the tiny kettle using a glass, as the kettle does not fit into the small washbasin in the bathroom. Once I had made the tea, I realised that I had used both of the tea bags provided, meaning that we would not be able to have a cup of tea in the morning. I had also used up the 4 little sachets of sugar, and the two teeny weeny UHT milk cartons, although the card in the room stated clearly that there is “fresh milk” in the fridge (there wasn’t). Hoping to have a biscuit with our tea (as is usual for us in a hotel room after a long drive), we were disappointed to find that there weren’t any. I called down to reception to ask about these small but important details - the reply was that biscuits aren’t provided, and that they had “run out of” hand soap. I’m not sure whose responsibility it is to order stock when it’s close to running out, but whoever it is, they apparently aren’t doing their job properly. The receptionist offered to bring extra tea bags and milk and sugar to the room - yes please, I replied, and she duly came, but forgot the sugar..... The next surprise was the toilet seat being loose, which was a bit worrying, as you presume this is checked daily by the cleaning staff. After we returned at around 11.30pm from a meal out with friends, we realised that the hotel is really a busy and noisy pub with rooms above. Once the bar closed, people left noisily, and with our room being almost directly above the front entrance, we spent a couple of hours listening to groups of people shouting their goodbyes to each other when we had hoped to be getting some sleep. Noise in the square continued on and off throughout the night, waking us up regularly, only stopping for good at around 6.20am, which is when I finally got to sleep properly. If the windows to the room had been double glazed it might have helped, but they weren’t, and yet for some reason there was air conditioning fitted to the room. At breakfast in the morning, the choices were adequate, although we were surprised to see no bananas or grapefruit, and no yoghurt on offer. The filter coffee was weak and watery - I did hear other guests ordering coffee, and they were told that there would be a charge for any coffee ordered other than their weak offering. The only sign in our room that the hotel was “boutique” was a retro-style radio and two books on a shelf. When we checked out, we pointed out that we felt the room price was excessive, especially given that it was possible to book a room with a two-course dinner and breakfast for £99.00 on one of the other weekend nights - we had paid £70 more and that was without a dinner. The receptionist said that she was sorry to hear our concerns, but thanked us for the comments.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank wimblewomble1988

Good Afternoon Matthew

Thank you for taking time out to write a review. We do appreciate any feedback positive or negative.

We take pride in our cleanliness and attention to detail in our rooms and can only apologize for the fact your room was not up to standard on your stay due to the lack of the hand soap that we do usually provide, unfortunate due to none delivery, from our company supplier.

The local nightlife is indeed vibrant on the weekends , which is part of what attracts many of our guests. We do offer quieter rooms that can be reserved upon request or if we are able to accommodate you another room our reception team would of been more than happy to help.

Our pricing is comparable to similar properties in the area and we feel we provide good value given our central location. We regret that this was not your impression and offer our apologies.

Again thank you for taking the time out to write your review.

Reviewed 15 October 2018

Room £125 per night, no bfast, wanted an additional £12 for parking!!
Room basic, double bed, little hanging space, no space for a long dress
Plenty of power sockets and free data
Pod coffee machine, free mini bar inc water and 2 bottles of Prosecco and fruit juice.
Small safe in room would have been fine except it was not secured.
36” TV wall mounted.
Dressing gowns provided but no hanging space in bathroom.
Great bathroom, shower enclosure with twin shower heads.

Room tip: Another guest complaining of noise on a Friday night warned us to ask for a quiet room. We asked and were given a quiet room facing Rear.
Trip type: Travelled with friends

Hi Ange 1o

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed some of our room facilities.In reference to our price point we do feel that we are comparable to other hotels in the area due to our central location.

Please have a look at our facebook and website for promotions you maybe interested

Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

I actually had no idea this was here. On a date night with the good lady we popped into the bar restaurant area for drinks. I remember the old place and it’s a huge improvement. There was so much space. We easily found a seating area to chat. I must have a look at the rooms now so I have been told..

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Amy E, General Manager at Saint Pauls House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2018

Hi Anthony

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to Saint Paul's House. Its very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Lorraine

Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

Booked through Bookings.com and mistakenly included the wrong dates. Contacted the hotel directly who were fantastic in ageeeing to change the dates without any fuss. Beautifully appointed hotel in walking distance to the Arena. Excellent cooked breakfast. Highly recommended!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Amy E, Marketing Director at Saint Pauls House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2018

Thanks for the fabulous review - we hope you will join us again in the future.